Event: Food City 500 (Round 8 of 36)
Series: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Bristol (Tenn.) Motor Speedway (.533-mile oval)
Format: 500 laps, broken into three stages (125 laps/125 laps/250 laps)
Start/Finish: 15th/25th (Running, completed 494 of 500 laps)
Point Standing: 18th (163 points, 197 out of first)
Race Winner: Jimmie Johnson of Hendrick Motorsports (Chevrolet)
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-125):
- Kurt Busch started 15th, finished 35th.
- Battled a tight-handling condition at the beginning of the stage, but got loose as the laps clicked off.
- Got loose while racing the No. 6 Ford for position and hit the inside wall, resulting in heavy left-side damage to his Ford Fusion.
- Lost three laps to the leader as repairs were made on pit road under the caution.
- Visited pit road at the conclusion of Stage 1 to take four tires, fuel and a chassis adjustment.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 126-250):
- Started 35th, finished 33rd.
- Battled a tight-handling condition throughout the stage.
- Visited pit road twice during a caution period, the first time for repairs and the second for tires and adjustments.
- Visited pit road at the conclusion of Stage 2 to take four tires and fuel.
Final Stage Recap (Laps 251-500):
- Started 33rd, finished 25th.
- Made multiple chassis and air pressure adjustments, which improved the handling over the course of the segment.
- Twice took the wave-around, getting two of his laps back.
- Gained eight positions in the final stage to finish 25th.
- Busch made his 33rd Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series start at Bristol Motor Speedway.
The next event on the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series schedule is the Richmond 400 Sunday, April 30 at Richmond (Va.) International Raceway. The race starts at 2 p.m. EDT with live coverage provided by FOX.