Event: Pocono 400 (Round 14 of 36)
Series: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Pocono (Pa.) Raceway (2.5-mile triangle)
Format: 160 laps, broken into three stages (50 laps/50 laps/60 laps)
Start/Finish: 9th/8th (Running, completed 160 of 160 laps)
Point Standing: 13th (368 points, 200 out of first)
Race Winner: Kyle Busch of Joe Gibbs Racing (Toyota)
Stage 1 Winner: Kyle Larson of Chip Ganassi Racing (Chevrolet)
Stage 2 Winner: Kyle Larson of Chip Ganassi Racing (Chevrolet)
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-60):
● Daniel Suárez started Stage 1 from the ninth position and ended the stage seventh to earn four stage points.
● Suárez was in the ninth spot when the competition caution came out on lap 20.
● The 27-year-old reported his Mustang was freer on landing in all three corners. Crew chief Billy Scott made the call for Suárez to pit for two right-side tires, fuel and an air pressure adjustment, and he restarted fourth on lap 24.
● The second caution came out on lap 29 while Suárez was in the third position. He stayed out on the track and completed the stage in seventh.
● During the Stage 1 break Suárez pitted for fuel, four tires and adjustments. However, he received a pit road speeding penalty and was sent to the rear of the field to start for Stage 2.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 61-100):
● The No. 41 driver started Stage 2 in 24th and completed it in 10th to earn one stage point.
● The next caution came out on lap 57 and Suárez brought his Haas Automation Mustang down pit road to top off with fuel and make a chassis adjustment. He restarted in the 23rd position.
● Throughout the next three cautions, the No. 41 machine stayed out on the track and saved fuel in an effort to go the remaining distance of the stage.
● Suárez was able to finish the stage in 10th after stretching the fuel mileage. He pitted during the Stage 2 break for fuel, four tires and adjustments.
Final Stage Recap (Laps 101-160):
● Suárez began the final stage in 19th and concluded it eighth.
● By lap 107, the Mexico native was in the 12th position.
● On lap 125 Suárez took over the race lead before pitting on lap 133 for two right-side tires and fuel. He returned to the track in the 11th position.
● With 16 laps to go, the Haas driver took over the eighth spot and remained in the position until the next caution was displayed on lap 147.
● Suárez stayed out under the caution and restarted eighth with nine laps remaining, ultimately finishing in the same position.
● Suárez finished seventh in Stage 1 to earn four bonus points and 10th in Stage 2 to earn an additional bonus point.
● Suárez led once for nine laps to increase his laps-led total at Pocono to 39.
● Kyle Busch won the Pocono 400 to score his 55th career Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series victory, his series-leading fourth of the season and his third at Pocono. His margin of victory over second-place Brad Keselowski was 2.224 seconds.
● There were eight caution periods for a total of 28 laps.
● Twenty-one of the 37 drivers in the Pocono 400 finished on the lead lap.
● Busch leaves Pocono as the sole championship leader with a four-point advantage over second-place Joey Logano. The duo came into the Pocono 400 tied atop the championship standings.
Daniel Suárez, Driver of the No. 41 Haas Automation Demo Day Ford Mustang for Stewart-Haas Racing:
“We had a little bit more speed than an eighth-place car, but we struggled in the race at one point in traffic. We got the balance back by the end but it wasn’t easy. I feel like a top-10 is what we deserved today in the Haas Automation Mustang, but we will have to keep working on it.”
The next event on the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series schedule is the FireKeepers Casino 400 on Sunday, June 9 at Michigan International Speedway in Brooklyn. The race starts at 2 p.m. EDT with live coverage provided by FS1 and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio.