Event: Tales of the Turtles 400 (Round 27 of 36)
Series: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Chicagoland Speedway in Joliet, Illinois (1.5-mile oval)
Format: 267 laps, broken into three segments (80 laps/80 laps/107 laps)
Start/Finish: 22nd/18th (Running, completed 265 of 267 laps)
Point Standings: 28th (396 points)
Race Winner: Martin Truex Jr. of Furniture Row Racing (Toyota)
Stage 1 Winner: Kyle Busch of Joe Gibbs Racing (Toyota)
Stage 2 Winner: Chase Elliott of Hendrick Motorsports (Chevrolet)
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-80):
- Danica Patrick started 22nd and finished 17th.
- Patrick raced her way up to the 17th position by lap 16.
- The No. 10 Aspen Dental Ford Fusion team made a scheduled, green-flag pit stop at lap 41 for tires and fuel and then pitted between stages for tires and fuel once again.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 81-160):
- Started 17th and finished 17th.
- Patrick maintained her position in Stage 2.
- The team made a green-flag pit stop at lap 123 and then pitted again between stages at lap 164. Crew chief Billy Scott called for four tires and fuel on each trip to pit road.
Final Stage Recap (Laps 161-267):
- Started 17th and finished 18th.
- Midway through the final stage, Patrick noted the No. 10 Aspen Dental Ford was a “little tight in the middle and off.” Patrick ran in the 17th position for most of the stage before losing a spot in the closing laps.
- The team pitted under caution at lap 213 for tires and fuel.
- This was Patrick’s sixth Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series start at Chicagoland Speedway in Joliet, Illinois, and her 181st career NASCAR Cup Series start.
- Patrick earned 19 points in Sunday’s race at Chicagoland Speedway, which puts her at 396 total points for the season thus far. She is ranked 28th in the driver point standings.
- There were four caution periods for a total of 21 laps.
- Only 12 of the 40 drivers in the Tales of the Turtles 400 finished on the lead lap.
- Martin Truex Jr. won the Tales of the Turtles 400 to score his 12th career Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series victory, his fifth of the season and his second at Chicagoland Speedway. His margin of victory over second-place Chase Elliott was 7.179 seconds.
- Truex leads the championship standings with 2,102 points and has a 27-point margin over his nearest pursuer, Kyle Larson.
The next event on the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series schedule is the Sept. 24 ISM Connect 300 at New Hampshire Motor Speedway in Loudon. The event starts at 2 p.m. EDT with live coverage provided by NBCSN.