Event: Pocono Organics 325 (Round 14 of 36)
Series: NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Pocono (Pa.) Raceway (2.5-mile triangle)
Format: 130 laps, broken into three stages (25 laps/52 laps/53 laps)
Start/Finish: 25th/16th (Running, completed 130 of 130 laps)
Point Standing: 26th with 220 points, 314 out of first
Race Winner: Kevin Harvick of Stewart-Haas Racing (Ford)
Stage 1 Winner: Joey Logano of Team Penske (Ford)
Stage 2 Winner: Aric Almirola of Stewart-Haas Racing (Ford)
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-25):
● Cole Custer started 28th and finished 18th.
● Early in the race, Custer reported his HaasTooling.com Mustang was tight while running 27th.
● Custer stayed out during the competition caution on lap 12 and restarted 14th.
● Shortly after the green flag, the caution flew again with the Californian in 13th.
● The 22-year-old restarted 13th on lap 20.
● Custer ended the stage in 25th and was happy with his Mustang’s handling. He visited pit road for fuel and four tires.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 26-77):
● Custer started in 27th and finished 19th.
● On lap 53, Custer reported the HaasTooling.com Mustang was starting to get a tick tight while running 22nd.
● Under caution on lap 63, the Ford driver pitted from 13th for fuel and four tires. He restarted 19th.
● Caution was back out on lap 71 with Custer 24th. He pitted for fuel and tires, and restarted 23rd.
● During the stage break, the Ford driver stayed on the track in the 19th position.
Final Stage Recap (Laps 78-130):
● Custer started 17th, finished 16th.
● “Just a little tight,” Custer radioed on lap 91 from 17th.
● The rookie driver made a scheduled green-flag pit stop on lap 97 for right-side tires and fuel. Rejoined the field in 23rd.
● As the remainder of the race ran under green, Custer worked his way forward and finished 16th in his second Cup Series start at Pocono.
● Custer made his 17th career NASCAR Cup Series start and his second at Pocono.
● Custer’s 16th-place result bettered his previous best finish at Pocono – 26th, earned in June 2018.
● There were six caution periods for a total of 21 laps.
● Twenty-one of the 40 drivers in the race finished on the lead lap.
● Kevin Harvick remains the championship leader after Pocono with a 29-point advantage over second-place Ryan Blaney.
Cole Custer, Driver of the No. 41 HaasTooling.com Ford Mustang for Stewart-Haas Racing:
“Solid day for us today. We ended up 16th and at the end, I felt we were fast enough to run up front. It’s just trying to get track position and I think I can get my restarts better for tomorrow. It was a solid day, which is what we needed. We can improve on it tomorrow. I think we have a good car and I cannot thank my guys enough. Looking forward to improving on it all, tomorrow.”
The second event of the NASCAR Cup Series doubleheader at Pocono is the Pocono 350 on Sunday, June 28. The race starts at 4 p.m. EDT with live coverage provided by FS1 and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio.