Event: Pocono Organics 325 (Round 14 of 36)
Series: NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Pocono (Pa.) Raceway (2.5-mile triangle)
Format: 130 laps, broken into three stages (25 laps/52 laps/53 laps)
Start/Finish: 18th/7th (Running, completed 130 of 130 laps)
Point Standing: 13th with 358 points, 176 out of first
Race Winner: Kevin Harvick of Stewart-Haas Racing (Ford)
Stage 1 Winner: Joey Logano of Team Penske (Ford)
Stage 2 Winner: Aric Almirola of Stewart-Haas Racing (Ford)
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-25):
● Clint Bowyer started 18th and finished 20th.
● Bowyer reported his car was too loose and pitted from 18th during the lap-12 competition caution.
● The Mobil 1 Ford restarted the race in 24th, but couldn’t make much progress through the field.
● Despite another caution at lap 17, Bowyer climbed to 20th by the end of the stage.
● During the stage break, Bowyer took on right side tires and more adjustments to help the handling.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 26-77):
● Bowyer started 24th and finished 14th.
● Bowyer continued to struggle with a loose car, dropping to 28th in the opening laps.
● Bowyer moved to 11th during a green-flag pit cycle interrupted by a caution with 13 laps to go in the stage.
● The No. 14 Mobil 1 Ford pitted during the caution for more adjustments and restarted 21st.
● Bowyer used the improved handling to move to 14th before the end of the stage.
● Bowyer stayed on the track during the stage break and moved to 11th..
Final Stage Recap (Laps 78-130):
● Bowyer started 11th and finished 7th.
● Dropped to 15th at the start of the stage amid four and five-wide racing.
● No. 14 Mobil 1 Ford pitted under green with 36 laps left in the race.
● Bowyer began turning some of his fastest laps of the race catching several cars in the closing laps.
● Bowyer moved to seventh with 10 to go, and looked like he might get to fifth, but a vibration slowed his pace in the late going.
● Bowyer earned his fourth top-10 of the season and his 12th top-10 in 29 career NASCAR Cup Series starts at Pocono.
● This was Bowyer’s fourth straight top-11 at Pocono. He finished 11th in the series’ previous visit to the track last July.
● Since joining SHR in 2017, Bowyer has not finished outside the top-20 at Pocono.
● Harvick’s victory marked the 77th overall win for SHR. It was the organization’s 58th points-paying NASCAR Cup Series win, its third of the season, and its third at Pocono.
● There were six caution periods for a total of 21 laps.
● Twenty-one of the 40 drivers in the race finished on the lead lap.
● Harvick remains the championship leader after Pocono with a 29-point advantage over second-place Ryan Blaney.
Clint Bowyer, driver of the No. 14 Mobil 1 Ford Mustang for Stewart-Haas Racing:
“That was a struggle early today for our Mobil 1 Ford. We were really loose and in traffic we were terrible. But I think we found our direction in the last part of the race. We had a vibration late or I think we could have gotten more spots. What a swing! (Crew Chief) Johnny Klausmeier and my guys did a good job calling the race. Glad Kevin could get the win. I’m looking forward to tomorrow.”
The second event of the NASCAR Cup Series doubleheader at Pocono is the Pocono 350 on Sunday, June 28. The race starts at 4 p.m. EDT with live coverage provided by FS1 and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio.