Event: Richmond 400 (Round 9 of 36)
Series: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Richmond (Va.) International Raceway (.75-mile oval)
Format: 400 laps, broken into three stages (100 laps/100 laps/200 laps)
Start/Finish: 8th/15th (Running, completed 400 of 400 laps)
Point Standing: 9th (266 points, 132 out of first)
Race Winner: Joey Logano of Team Penske (Ford)
Stage 1 Recap (Ended at Lap 100):
- Started eighth, finished ninth to earn two race points.
- Bowyer, like most drivers, battled with a loose racecar in the opening laps.
- After chassis changes during pit stop, Bowyer reported car wouldn’t turn.
Stage 2 Recap (Ended at Lap 200):
- Started seventh, finished eighth to earn three race points.
- Crew said after adjustments Bowyer’s lap times were a tenth-of-a-second faster.
- Bowyer climbed as high as sixth midway through the stage.
Final Stage Recap (Ended at Lap 400):
- Started sixth, finished 15th.
- Bowyer turned in top-five times throughout stage.
- Commitment lane violation while entering pits with 81 laps to go and the drive-through penalty dropped Bowyer to 26th.
- Bowyer returned to lead lap with 52 to go racing in 19th.
- Contact with Ty Dillon coming to pit road caused significant damage to the front end of Bowyer’s car.
- Bowyer rallied to 15th in closing laps.
- Temperatures of 90 degrees outside and 140 degrees inside the car Sunday afternoon made for challenging conditions for all drivers.
- Bowyer gained positions on nearly every pit stop during the 400-lap race.
Clint Bowyer, driver of the No. 14 Haas Automation Ford Fusion for Stewart-Haas Racing:
“No doubt we’re disappointed. We were going to have a top-10 and maybe a top-five today. Everyone is trying hard. Car was good, and we had great pit stops today.”
The next event on the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series schedule is the GEICO 500 on Sunday, May 7 at Talladega (Ala.) Superspeedway. The race starts at 2 p.m. EDT with live coverage provided by FOX.