Event: Kobalt 400 (Round 3 of 36)
Series: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Las Vegas Motor Speedway (1.5-mile oval)
Format: 267 laps, broken into three stages (80 laps/80 laps/107 laps)
Start/Finish: 17th/30th (Running, completed 263 of 267 laps)
Point Standing: 7th (93 points, 39 out of first)
Race Winner: Martin Truex Jr. of Furniture Row Racing (Toyota)
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-80):
- Kurt Busch started 17th, finished 12th.
- Busch was scored as high as 10th during Stage 1.
- Battled a loose-handling condition for much of the Stage.
- Visited pit road at the conclusion of Stage 1 for right-side tires, fuel and chassis adjustments.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 81-160):
- Started 15th, finished 17th.
- Experienced an electrical issue that forced him to shut off everything but the fan for the rear gear.
- Made a pit stop during green-flag conditions on lap 126 for four tires, fuel and air pressure adjustments.
- Struggled with a tight-handling condition at the beginning of the run but loose as the laps clicked off.
- Visited pit road at the conclusion of Stage 2 for four tires, fuel and air pressure adjustments.
Final Stage Recap (Laps 161-267):
- Started 18th, finished 30th.
- Struggled with a tight-handling condition.
- Forced to pit on lap 201 to replace batteries under green-flag conditions. Lost four laps.
- Busch made his 16th Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series start at his home track.
Kurt Busch, driver of the No. 41 Monster Energy/Haas Automation Ford Fusion for Stewart-Haas Racing:
“We went through a lot today. Obviously it wasn’t the day we were hoping to have with our Monster Energy/Haas Automation Ford Fusion. We didn’t have the long-run speed or the balance, and we had an electrical issue that forced us to change batteries on pit road. We kept battling, we didn’t give up. I hoped to have a better run here in front of the hometown fans.”
The next event on the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series schedule is the Camping World 500k on Sunday, March 19 at Phoenix International Raceway. The race starts at 3:30 p.m. EDT with live coverage provided by FOX.