Event: GEICO 500(Round 10 of 36)
Series: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Talladega (Ala.) Superspeedway (2.66-mile oval)
Format: 188 laps, broken into three stages (55 laps/55 laps/78 laps)
Start/Finish: 19th/38th (Accident, completed 11/188 laps)
Point Standing: 4th with 350 points, 80 out of first
Race Winner: Chase Elliott of Hendrick Motorsports (Chevrolet)
Stage 1 Winner: Ty Dillon of Germain Racing (Chevrolet)
Stage 2 Winner: Chase Elliott of Hendrick Motorsports (Chevrolet)
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-55):
● Kevin Harvick started 19th and was collected in a lap-10 multicar accident. He finished a disappointing 38th in the No. 4 Busch Beer Flannel Ford Mustang.
● Chase Elliott won the GEICO 500 to score his fourth career Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series victory, his first of the season and his first at Talladega. The race ended under caution.
● There were six caution periods for a total of 21 laps.
● Only 21 of the 40 drivers in the GEICO 500 finished on the lead lap.
● Kyle Busch remains the championship leader after Talladega with a 15-point advantage over second-place Joey Logano.
Kevin Harvick, driver of the No. 4 Busch Beer Flannel Ford Mustang for Stewart-Haas Racing:
“You know, I went to the back to start and thought that was going to happen several times throughout the day. I got myself back there and it looked pretty tame, so I decided to go back to the front and drove back up there fairly easy. I don’t know what happened. They all wrecked and I slowed down, and somebody hit me in the door and I hit the wall.”
The next event on the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series schedule is the Gander RV 400 on Sunday, May 5 at Dover (Del.) International Speedway. The race starts at 2 p.m. EDT with live coverage provided by FS1 and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio.