Event: 61st Daytona 500 (Round 1 of 36)
Series: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Daytona (Fla.) International Speedway (2.5-mile oval)
Format: 200 laps, broken into three stages (60 laps/60 laps/80 laps)
Start/Finish: 3rd/26th (Accident, completed 194 of 207 laps)
Point Standing: 14th (27 points, 25 out of first)
Note: Race extended seven laps past its scheduled 200-lap distance due to a green-white-checkered finish.
Race Winner: Denny Hamlin of Joe Gibbs Racing (Toyota) in overtime
Stage 1 Winner: Kyle Busch of Joe Gibbs Racing (Toyota)
Stage 2 Winner: Ryan Blaney of Team Penske (Ford)
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-60):
● Started third, finished ninth, and collected two bonus points.
● On lap 15, Kevin Harvick brought the No. 4 Busch Beer Car2Can Ford Mustang to pit road for fuel only.
● After a caution, Harvick was the leader on the restart.
● Under caution on lap 51, Harvick pitted for four tires and fuel.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 61-120):
● Started fourth, finished seventh and collected four bonus points.
● On lap 73, Harvick pitted for fuel only.
● At the halfway point, Harvick was eighth.
Stage 3 Recap (Laps 121-200):
● Started fourth and finished 26th.
● With 50 laps to go, Harvick was fifth.
● On lap 163, Harvick pits for two tires and fuel.
● Harvick was in the top-five, but he was caught up in a multicar accident on lap 194 and was unable to finish the race.
● Harvick finished ninth in Stage 1 to earn two bonus points and seventh in Stage 2 to earn an additional four bonus points.
● Denny Hamlin won the Daytona 500 to score his 32nd career Cup Series victory and his second at Daytona. His margin of victory over second-place Kyle Busch was .138 of a second.
● There were 12 caution periods for a total of 47 laps.
● Only 14 of the 40 drivers in the Daytona finished on the lead lap.
The next event on the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series schedule is the Folds of Honor 500 on Sunday, Feb. 24 at Atlanta Motor Speedway. The race starts at 2 p.m. EST with live coverage provided by FOX beginning with its prerace show at 1:30 p.m.