Event: Bass Pro Shops NRA Night Race (Round 24 of 36)
Series: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Bristol (Tenn.) Motor Speedway (.533-mile oval)
Format: 500 laps, broken into three stages (125 laps/125 laps/250 laps)
Start/Finish: 8th/39th (Mechanical, completed 244 of 500 laps)
Point Standing: 5th with 830 points, 102 out of first
Race Winner: Denny Hamlin of Joe Gibbs Racing (Toyota)
Stage 1 Winner: Kyle Larson of Chip Ganassi Racing (Chevrolet)
Stage 2 Winner: Kurt Busch of Chip Ganassi Racing (Chevrolet)
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-125):
● Kevin Harvick started eighth and finished fourth earning seven bonus points.
● The No. 4 Busch Beer Ford Mustang pitted on lap 86 for four tires, fuel and a chassis adjustment. Harvick said the car was a bit tight.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 126-250):
● Harvick started fourth and finished 39th.
● The No. 4 Busch Beer Ford Mustang hit pit road on lap 130 for four tires, fuel and a chassis and tire pressure adjustment. Harvick said the car was still too tight.
● On the restart, Harvick shot up to second from fourth.
● Harvick got by Chase Elliott for the lead on lap 163.
● While in the lead on lap 191, Harvick hit pit road for four tires, fuel and a tire pressure adjustment, but he said the car was a bit too free.
● On lap 244 Harvick pitted, but the car had a mechanical issue and was forced to go behind the wall. Despite the hard work of the Busch Beer crew, the problem was not fixable and Harvick was out of the race.
● Harvick finished fourth in Stage 1 to earn seven bonus points.
● Harvick led once for 28 laps to increase his laps-led total at Bristol to 909.
● Denny Hamlin won the Bass Pro Shops NRA Night Raceto score his 35th career Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series victory, his fourth of the season and his second at Bristol. His margin of victory over second-place Matt DiBenedetto was .502 of a second.
● There were eight caution periods for a total of 61 laps.
● Only seven of the 39 drivers in the Bass Pro Shops NRA Night Racefinished on the lead lap.
● Kyle Busch remains the championship leader after Bristol with a 39-point advantage over second-place Joey Logano.
The next event on the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series schedule is the Bojangles’ Southern 500 on Sunday, Sept. 1 at Darlington (S.C.) Raceway. The race starts at 6 p.m. EDT with live coverage provided by NBCSN and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio.