Race Name: NASCAR Racing Experience 300 (Race 1 of 33)
Venue: Daytona International Speedway
Series: NASCAR Xfinity Series
Date: February 16, 2019
Results: Chase Briscoe: 12th | Cole Custer: 14th
– Chase Briscoe: 14th; trails points leader by 24 points
– Cole Custer: 15th; trails points leader by 28 points
Cole Custer / Jacob Companies Ford Mustang Recap:
– Custer started 38th and was forced to change an engine after a mechanical issue suffered during qualifying.
– The No. 00 team raced up to the 14th position as stages 1 and 2 ran caution free.
– The Jacob Companies Ford Mustang started 12th in the final stage.
– Following a fuel only pit stop under caution on lap 71, Custer restarted in the top 10.
– Custer made up ground using the top side and raced up to the eighth position with 33 laps to go.
– Custer tried to race forward at the end, but ultimately lost a few positions in the process and crossed the finish line in the 14th position.
Race Winner: Michael Annett of JR Motorsports (Chevrolet)
Next Up: Rinnai 250 at 2 p.m. Saturday, February 23 from Atlanta (Ga.) televised by Fox Sports 1.
Cole Custer, driver of the No. 00 Jacob Companies Ford Mustang:
“We just couldn’t really get a run going. We couldn’t lead very well, so we were kind of a pusher. We kept trying to protect on the top where everybody else was, but we couldn’t really get anyone to work with us. I thought the race was going to play out different, but we came home with a clean Jacob Companies Ford Mustang and we’ll head to Atlanta where our season really starts.”
How did you think the race was going to play out?
“I thought at least by the end it was going to be a little more racey. I thought it’d be a little more two and three wide and be able to pass, but for some reason everyone just wanted to run the top.”