Date: March 10, 2018
Location: ISM Raceway near Phoenix
Layout: Mile oval
Cole Custer Notes of Interest
- The DC Solar 200 at ISM Raceway near Phoenix is the first of five mile-oval tracks during the 33-race season.
- The DC Solar 200 will be Custer’s third Xfinity Series start and his ninth overall at Phoenix. Custer has three NASCAR Camping World Truck Series starts and three NASCAR K&N Pro Series starts at the mile oval. Custer’s best Truck Series finish is third in 2014 and, that same year, he won the K&N Pro Series race. Custer also has a K&N Series pole at Phoenix, earned in 2013 when he first competed at the track.
- In 41 Xfinity Series starts, 42 Camping World Truck Series starts and 29 K&N Pro Series starts since 2015, Custer has five wins, six poles, 14 top-five finishes, 26 top-10s and 919 laps led at tracks that are a mile in length or shorter.
- Last weekend at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Custer ran as high as first place, earned bonus points, and secured his first top-10 finish of the 2018 Xfinity Series season.
- Custer’s best start this season was fourth – earned twice at Atlanta Motor Speedway on Feb. 24 and at Las Vegas last weekend.
- Custer has three top-five finishes, six top-10s, two poles, one win and has led 111 laps in eight career Xfinity, Truck and K&N starts at Phoenix.
- Custer has one win, eight top-five finishes, 22 top-10s and has led 306 laps in 41 career Xfinity Series starts.
- Custer is 13th in the Xfinity Series standings with 63 points.
Cole Custer, Driver Q&A
Was a top-10 finish at Las Vegas what you needed to take some pressure off after bad luck to start the season?
“We had a lot of speed throughout the race but some runs didn’t go our way. It was just good to have a solid day and get some stage points because we haven’t had a race without bad luck, yet. We’re hoping to get back in a consistent routine and find some solid finishes each week.”
Is Phoenix going to be a good track for the Haas Automation team?
“I think it’s going to be a great weekend as long as we can finish without any issues. I’m looking forward to Phoenix because we ran well there last year and we have some ideas on how to get even better. I think we’ll keep trending upward from there.”
You have a win at Phoenix. What is it about this track that fits your driving style?
“I’ve been lucky enough to drive some fast cars there, but I think I’ve taken to flat tracks fairly well and it’s a feel I just like. We had a quick Haas Automation Ford Mustang there last season so, with the notes we have now, we should be even quicker. ”
Jeff Meendering, Crew Chief Q&A
What car are you bringing to Phoenix?
“Our Phoenix car is brand new. We built it for the flange-fit composite body last year, so we’re excited to unload it. We had good speed in Vegas and now we have a little more confidence heading to Phoenix since we were able to finish a race without any bad luck and secure a top-10 finish.”