Event: Geico 500 (Round 10 of 36)
Series: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Talladega (Ala.) Superspeedway (2.66-mile oval)
Format: 188 laps, broken into three stages (55 laps/55 laps/78 laps)
Start/Finish: 17th/14th (Running, completed 191 of 191 laps)
Point Standing: 9th (289 points, 139 out of first)
Race Winner: Ricky Stenhouse Jr. of Roush Fenway Racing (Ford) in overtime
Stage 1 Recap (Ended at Lap 55):
- Started 17th, finished 13th.
- Climbed to seventh in opening laps before a fuel-only stop on lap 17 moved Bowyer to the lead.
- Led eight laps during segment, the first laps the No. 14 has led this season.
Stage 2 Recap (Ended at Lap 110):
- Started 11th, finished 28th.
- Lap-84 pit stop moved Bowyer to seventh.
- Bowyer led two laps in Stage 2 before he was shuffled out of the draft in closing laps to finish 28th.
Final Stage Recap (Ended at Lap 188):
- Started 35th after uncontrolled-tire penalty on pit stop before green flag.
- Restarted the race in 19th with 24 laps remaining after pitting for four tires and fuel under caution.
- Raced in the top-five in the closing laps, but tire damage forced a pit stop, dropping Bowyer to 23rd to begin overtime.
- Avoided by inches a 16-car wreck with 19 to go.
- Bowyer has now led 2,348 laps in his career.
Clint Bowyer, driver of the No. 14 Haas Automation Ford Fusion for Stewart-Haas Racing:
“It was an up and down day for us. We had a really fast Ford Fusion, and I wish we could have had a chance to be up there racing with those guys in the end. But it was cool to lead some laps again.”
The next event on the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series schedule is the Go Bowling 400 on Saturday, May 13 at Kansas Speedway in Kansas City. The race starts at 7:30 p.m. EDT with live coverage provided by FS1.