Cole Custer Finishes Third at Chicagoland
Haas Automation Driver Takes Lead in Championship Standings
Date: June 30, 2018
Event: Overton’s 300 (Round 15 of 33)
Series: NASCAR Xfinity Series
Location: Chicagoland in Joliet, Illinois (1.5-mile oval)
Format: 200 laps, broken into three stages (45 laps/45 laps/100 laps)
Start/Finish: 12th/3rd (Running, completed 200 of 200 laps)
Point Standing: 1st with 541 points
Race Winner: Kyle Larson of Chip Ganassi Racing (Chevrolet)
Stage 1 Winner: Tyler Reddick of JR Motorsports (Chevrolet)
Stage 2 Winner: Kyle Larson of Chip Ganassi Racing (Chevrolet)
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-45):
● Custer started 12th, finished 11th.
● The No. 00 Haas Automation Ford Mustang had to go to the rear because the right-front tire was flat before the third round of qualifying.
● Custer was in the top-15 by lap 10.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 46-90):
● Custer started ninth, finished fourth and earned seven bonus points.
● The Southern California native reported his car was just too tight center off the corner.
● He pitted on lap 48 for four tires, fuel and a tire pressure adjustment after
● Custer said the car was a little too tight firing off.
Final Stage Recap (Laps 91-200):
● Custer started sixth, finished third.
● On lap 93, Custer pitted for four tires and fuel.
● The No. 00 Haas Automation Ford Fusion was a little loose in turns one and two and a little tight in turns three and four.
● On lap 117, Custer pitted for four tires and fuel.
● On lap 155, Custer passed SHR teammate Kevin Harvick for the second position.
● On lap 168, he reported that his Haas Automation Ford was a little too loose late in the run. When he came in for fuel, four tires and a slight tire pressure adjustment, he overshot his pit stall.
● Returned to fifth with 20 laps to go and reached fourth on lap 189, passed Daniel Saurez for third on lap 191.
● This marks Custer’s fifth consecutive top-five finish and sixth overall of the season and first Xfinity Series top-five at Chicagoland.
● With his third-place finish, Custer took over the lead in the championship point standings.
● The race featured 13 lead changes among seven drivers and four caution periods for a total of 21 laps.
● Only 11 of the 40 drivers finished on the lead lap.
● Kyle Larson won the Overtons’s 300 to score his 10th career Xfinity Series victory, second of the season and first at Chicagoland. His margin of victory over second-place Harvick was 8.030 seconds.
Cole Custer, driver of the No. 00 Haas Automation Ford Mustang for Stewart-Haas Racing With Biagi-DenBeste:
“It was a great car. All our guys on the Haas Automation Mustang did great. I just hate that I missed the box that last stop, I think that is all on me. I don’t know that we would have caught Kyle but we would have gotten one more spot. It is what it is. We will just move on.”