FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

JJ named America's most influential athlete by Forbes

<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon May 09, 2011 8:49 pm

JJ named America's most influential athlete by Forbes

The Most Influential Athletes
Tom Van Riper, 05.09.11, 12:00 PM EDT
Nascar drivers are on the rise in public awareness.

Jimmie Johnson, Nascar's Sprint Cup Series champion every year since 2006, isn't particularly charismatic. But he's great at what he does. He's also appealing to many fans because he seems to be just like them--the guy next door who just happens to double as the best driver on the Nascar circuit. That's among the reasons why Johnson rates as America's most influential athlete this year.

After a prolonged slump, "Nascar has had a bit of resurgence, people are becoming more aware of the drivers this year," says Gerry Philpott, CEO of Encino, Calf.-based E-Poll Market Research, which co-conducted the poll of influential athletes our list is based on. While the sport is still lagging behind the glory days of the early 2000s, television ratings are up 6% this year, according to Nascar Chief Marketing Officer Steve Phelps, who credits competitive early races this season with drawing interest. "It helps drive story lines," says Phelps. The first nine races of the 2011 season have produced seven different winners. Jeff Gordon, a longtime fan favorite, got a nice boost from making it into the winner’s circle in Phoenix in February, his first victory in two years.

Combined with the retirement of Lance Armstrong, the diminished reputation of Tiger Woods, and the fading of interest in 2010 winter Olympians like Apolo Anton Ohno and Shaun White, the mini-rally has launched three Nascar drivers into the ranks of the most influential athletes. Dale Earnhardt Jr., who certainly is charismatic, and Gordon, a steady and likeable presence since the early 1990s, join Johnson in the top 10 in third and eighth place, respectively.

E-Poll and Nielsen Media Research surveyed over 1,000 adults as to the athletes they considered influential, while also assessing their likeability and awareness levels. Only those known to at least 20% of the respondents were considered. (That eliminated boxer Manny Pacquiao, who scores the highest influence numbers of anyone but who's familiar to only 12% of the population. What does it say about boxing that its most exciting champion toils in near anonymity?)
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Mon May 09, 2011 8:54 pm

Re: JJ named America's most influential athlete by Forbes

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.
I'm sure I'll catch flack for that.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Mon May 09, 2011 8:59 pm

Sadly I think this right. He just won five straight championships. I just wonder why Tony Stewart isn't there? More people that I know that are non NASCAR fans know him more than JJ and Jr!
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

wolfgang

Post Mon May 09, 2011 10:12 pm

Forbes,who cares. :lol:
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon May 09, 2011 10:59 pm

hey i just posted it because i thought it was neat that the mainstream media is starting to recognize nascar drivers and are starting to see that they do more than " just drive cars" but obviously the point wasnt grasped by anyone, but when people hate, that means that person is doing something right :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
<<

jamo14

Post Mon May 09, 2011 11:26 pm

I'm influential, likeable, and have great awareness levels (even when drunk), where am I ranked in there?
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

BlackFlag

Post Tue May 10, 2011 1:50 pm

What?!? Image
My least favorite band in the history of music is called: Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue May 10, 2011 2:56 pm

when your the best in nascar as JJ is, everyone sings your praises, but this site shouldnt be known as SHR should be known as hatersville.............
<<

duffygoofy

Post Tue May 10, 2011 4:18 pm

Then why do you hate everyone ? They have a right to say whatever they like even if you agree or not.I don't care if people like me or not i'm going to say whatever i want.
ImageImage
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue May 10, 2011 5:42 pm

duffygoofy wrote:Then why do you hate everyone ? They have a right to say whatever they like even if you agree or not.I don't care if people like me or not i'm going to say whatever i want.

here we go trying to start trouble, you have no room to talk, when i asked you about kurt busch and his drag racing, you took my head off, telling me to mind my own business, so you need to think, before you preach, so your the one who wants to start trouble and look for something to complain about, i never said i hate anyone here, you did, i dont care what people type, and just as they can say what they want so can i,

when i talk about hate, im talking comments, comments that at the end of the day dont mean crap to me i dont know anyone here to use a strong word as hate to pass judgment on someone, plus i would never use a word like hate in describing someone i know in reality.
<<

duffygoofy

Post Tue May 10, 2011 6:18 pm

I never took you head off and i'm not causing trouble .I just ask you a question And you said i'm causing trouble. I think you should take your own Advice.
I just went and read what i said about Kurt,and i didn't tell you to mind your Business.Go back and read it.
ImageImage
<<

wolfgang

Post Tue May 10, 2011 10:06 pm

jamo14 wrote:I'm influential, likeable, and have great awareness levels (even when drunk), where am I ranked in there?

:lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
Last edited by wolfgang on Tue May 10, 2011 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

wolfgang

Post Tue May 10, 2011 10:19 pm

JJ is the best in Nascar,than Dale Earnhardt Snr.must have been a god! :mrgreen:
JJ is the best in Nascar,than Tony Stewart must be the god of all auto racing. :mrgreen: They have big books on Dale and Tony,they don't need no stinkin Forbes magazine. :lol:
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed May 11, 2011 1:34 am

duffygoofy wrote:Then why do you hate everyone ? They have a right to say whatever they like even if you agree or not.I don't care if people like me or not i'm going to say whatever i want.

im not wasting my time going back and reading it, you gave me crap cuz i asked you why u wanted kurt not to win, simple innocent question. im not the one putting words in my mouth like you are, saying i hate everyone, that is something you decided to make up in your clouded mind, so to me that institutes starting trouble, and you use the same rap on anyone that doesnt form to your opinion, so look in the mirror................ and remember, he who has not sinned cast the first stone
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed May 11, 2011 1:39 am

wolfgang wrote:JJ is the best in Nascar,than Dale Earnhardt Snr.must have been a god! :mrgreen:
JJ is the best in Nascar,than Tony Stewart must be the god of all auto racing. :mrgreen: They have big books on Dale and Tony,they don't need no stinkin Forbes magazine. :lol:

thats your opinion
what has tony done lately?????? nothing, all he does is throw races away, JJ has driven less time in nascar and has better stats, end of story, o better stats then baldy harvick too :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

that is my opinion, but im not allowed to have an opinion because it threatens people.............
Next

Return to NASCAR & Racing