FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Osama Bin Laden Reportedly Killed By US in Pakistan

<<

wolfgang

Post Tue May 03, 2011 9:59 pm

Re: Osama Bin Laden Reportedly Killed By US in Pakistan

The only thing i believe as the stories now change is that Osama is dead,but as to when and how really just isn't consistant with the media terms and some of it didn't make any sense or fit with the situation to begin with.We'll never know the real story,so i guess it's better left alone and just accept the fact this part in history with him is over. :?
Last edited by wolfgang on Thu May 05, 2011 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

tlmerk

Post Tue May 03, 2011 10:26 pm

My 14-year-old made a comment that seemed very rational... the U.S. would never claim they killed Bin Laden if they didn't because Bin Laden would taunt us with our own stupidity and make our military look like fools. Our govt. would never run that risk.

I actually like our prez as a human being. He and Carter are the only Dems I respect in politics lately. I just don't think he's doing as much as he can for the economy right now but what do I know? I just know I used to have discretionary money but haven't in 2 years. Ugh! I don't like any of the conservatives either although I supported John McCain. Still like him. He probably would have found Bin Laden a few years ago if he was on the job.
Where there's Smoke, there's fire!
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Tue May 03, 2011 10:40 pm

tlmerk wrote:My 14-year-old made a comment that seemed very rational... the U.S. would never claim they killed Bin Laden if they didn't because Bin Laden would taunt us with our own stupidity and make our military look like fools. Our govt. would never run that risk.

I actually like our prez as a human being. He and Carter are the only Dems I respect in politics lately. I just don't think he's doing as much as he can for the economy right now but what do I know? I just know I used to have discretionary money but haven't in 2 years. Ugh! I don't like any of the conservatives either although I supported John McCain. Still like him. He probably would have found Bin Laden a few years ago if he was on the job.

Hey TL, It isn't that the prez hasn't done as much as he could, he's trying but it seems to me that the new congress is REALLY hard pressed to make a compromise that's GOOD FOR THE PEOPLE. If there were to be a greater degree of compromise, there would probably be quite the smaller chasm to bridge. That's an observation from someone that isn't liberal or conservative, JUST an AMERICAN that wants the best for EVERYONE regardless of political affiliation. If our elected officials would spend more time using their common sense (maybe they checked it at the door?)
to find common ground solutions, instead of bickering over stuff that doesn't really matter to the "common man/woman", the country would be alot better off. I find it disturbing that a Congressman only has to serve 5 years and he/she gets a pension, but our military has to serve 20 years.
Last edited by midwesternsmoke on Wed May 04, 2011 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed May 04, 2011 12:49 am

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
<<

tlmerk

Post Wed May 04, 2011 2:04 am

Agree with you. That's why I first was attracted to John McCain-- he seems to be less concerned with party lines and more about the issues. He seemed to like working together but that could also be how I saw it as I'm pretty conservative about the major issues (i.e. abortion, gun control, the death penalty). I'm actually more liberal when it comes to fiscal matters (i.e. social programs, etc.) which is the opposite of some of my liberal friends and I am for gay rights which causes my husband to call me a fence sitter and I resent that title. Just because my beliefs straddle both parties, doesn't negate them.

I actually majored in poly sci in college so IF I think about things clearly and everyone's roles and distribution of power, etc. I may answer differently but I talk from my heart and emotions first as some of you may have noticed on this site. Not a huge filter in between sometimes. :-)
<<

wolfgang

Post Wed May 04, 2011 7:42 pm

tlmerk wrote:Agree with you. That's why I first was attracted to John McCain-- he seems to be less concerned with party lines and more about the issues. He seemed to like working together but that could also be how I saw it as I'm pretty conservative about the major issues (i.e. abortion, gun control, the death penalty). I'm actually more liberal when it comes to fiscal matters (i.e. social programs, etc.) which is the opposite of some of my liberal friends and I am for gay rights which causes my husband to call me a fence sitter and I resent that title. Just because my beliefs straddle both parties, doesn't negate them.

I actually majored in poly sci in college so IF I think about things clearly and everyone's roles and distribution of power, etc. I may answer differently but I talk from my heart and emotions first as some of you may have noticed on this site. Not a huge filter in between sometimes. :-)

McCain had my vote, how many parties are actually in the WhiteHouse anyway? The systems don't work as they should anymore and haven't for many years.What i see is none of them are really for anyone but themselves and parties don't stick by what they're suppose to represent.Straddle both parties tlmerk? Think we all do,because the parties no longer work for the people,they work for bussiness like banks,drug companys ect.The goverment in my opinion,lets all these foriegners in for a reason too.The Republican/Conservative,the money trickles down,workfare-not wellfare,stick to principal believes ect.ect.What we learned in school and what really is,certianly doesn't appear that way does it? The Republican/conservative i guess i'm not anymore,because i really don't understand why it doesn't work as it should.My votes go now to the ones who tell me what i want to hear it seems,but change w/o a real solution wasn't one of them.The only thing i see now is more hand outs and more tax burden on the working class and the same old blow smoke up our %sses till the next election.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu May 05, 2011 1:44 am

i came across a site that has pictures of UBL's men, they are dead of course and laying in a pool of blood, they might be graphic to some, but what struck me while viewing them was the reality of the situation, after viewing them i think it would be a good idea to release UBL's photos and let people have the choice to view them or not, if people want me to post the link i will.......
<<

tlmerk

Post Thu May 05, 2011 11:27 am

yeah, I saw those pictures too MJ. They were pretty gross. Not sure how I feel about them not releasing the picture of Bin Laden. I don't see how it helps to NOT release it. I don't think it's going to incite the terrorists to take action against us. They know he's dead. Not sure why the Pakistanian govt is not letting us interview the wife of Bin Laden that was with him when he died. I understand they couldn't take the women and children with them due to the one crashed helicopter but what possible reason could the Pakistanians have for not letting us interview her? That's BS in my opinion. I think they're afraid we'll find out they knew he was there and aided him for the past 6 years. ???
<<

wolfgang

Post Thu May 05, 2011 9:37 pm

tlmerk wrote:yeah, I saw those pictures too MJ. They were pretty gross. Not sure how I feel about them not releasing the picture of Bin Laden. I don't see how it helps to NOT release it. I don't think it's going to incite the terrorists to take action against us. They know he's dead. Not sure why the Pakistanian govt is not letting us interview the wife of Bin Laden that was with him when he died. I understand they couldn't take the women and children with them due to the one crashed helicopter but what possible reason could the Pakistanians have for not letting us interview her? That's BS in my opinion. I think they're afraid we'll find out they knew he was there and aided him for the past 6 years. ???

The other thing i find hard to believe is no one in that area knew he was there all this time and maybe their goverment is afraid of what she might say.
<<

tlmerk

Post Fri May 06, 2011 12:50 am

Yep. They had to know. But a tiny thing is nagging at me. If someone other than his closest allies knew where he was, why didn't anyone try to claim the 25 million dollar reward the U.S. was giving? I mean I certainly would not trade 25 mil for the safety of my family but still, there are a lot of people out there who would sell their mothers for 25 mil.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri May 06, 2011 1:03 am

Pakistan has been getting 2 billion dollars a year for 10 years for supporting the USA, and to them that is alot of money, so they arent going to chance to give that up, because if UBL is killed, chances are USA leaves Afghanistan and the money stops, but if he is still in hiding, the money flows in to their pockets, intell has said UBL could have been there since 05, if i was the president and govt, i would stop aid to that country immediately. I think it is easy to say there has been some betrayal on the Pakistani part.
<<

tlmerk

Post Fri May 06, 2011 12:57 pm

Interesting points MJ.
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Fri May 06, 2011 1:46 pm

I'm in the camp with those who don't think photos of Bin Laden's body should or need to be released. For those who doubt he is really dead and think the photos should be released as proof, Al-Qaida has confirmed his death in this news article:

Al-Qaida vows revenge for Osama bin Laden's death

By MAGGIE MICHAEL, Associated Press – 2 hrs 17 mins ago

CAIRO – Al-Qaida confirmed the killing of Osama bin Laden Friday and vowed revenge, saying Americans' "happiness will turn to sadness" in the first statement by the terror network since its leader was slain in a U.S. commando raid against his Pakistani hideout.

The confirmation came as newly uncovered documents found in bin Laden's residence revealed al-Qaida plans for derailing an American train on the upcoming 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks.

Terror experts have said bin Laden's death on Monday was a setback for al-Qaida but the threat of attacks remains and could even spike in coming days from individuals or small extremist groups inspired to take revenge for the killing.

The statement, dated Tuesday but posted Friday on militant websites, opens the way for the group to name a successor to bin Laden. His deputy Ayman al-Zawahri is now the most prominent figure in the group and a likely contender to take his place.

"The blood of the holy warrior sheik, Osama bin Laden, God bless him, is too precious to us and to all Muslims to go in vain," the statement said. "We will remain, God willing, a curse chasing the Americans and their agents, following them outside and inside their countries."

"Soon, God willing, their happiness will turn to sadness," it said, "their blood will be mingled with their tears."

The group gave no indication how it will retaliate. But separate details emerged Friday showing that bin Laden was scheming how to hit the United States hard again.

Materials confiscated by the Navy SEALs who killed the al-Qaida leader in Abbotabad, Pakistan, reveal the rail attack planning as of February 2010. One idea outlined in handwritten notes was to tamper with an unspecified U.S. rail track so that a train would fall off the track at a valley or a bridge.

Counterterrorism officials said they believe the plot was only in the initial planning stages. The FBI and Homeland Security issued an intelligence bulletin with details of the plan to law enforcement around the country. The bulletin, marked "for official use only," was obtained by The Associated Press.

Rather than making vehement cries of vengeance, the al-Qaida statement — entitled "You lived as a good man, you died as a martyr" — struck a tone of calmness and continuation. Though it included praise of bin Laden, much of the 11-paragraph statement was dedicated to underlining that al-Qaida would live on, depicting him as just another in a line of "martyrs" from the group.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110506/ap_ ... n_al_qaida
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri May 06, 2011 2:41 pm

i know for me, id like to see them, its the whole voyeurism thing, but its not going to ruin my day if i never do see them, i believe he is dead, but i will say this if it would help someone who lost someone on 9/11 have closure to see the pictures, then they should have the right to see them, but i dont see that happening, i guess in this day and age eventually they will leak out, the important thing is he is gone, he can no longer hurt anyone..........
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Fri May 06, 2011 4:54 pm

I agree, the important thing is that he is gone. But you know someone else will take his place.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
PreviousNext

Return to The Lobby