FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

WTH????

<<

ndunn

Post Mon May 02, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: WTH????

HiddenHollow wrote:
ndunn wrote:Wow what an approach to summer. Gas here in central Michigan is $3.95.9 a gallon. It's been up and down the past week. Since we are seniors we have tighten up the driving and made lists so we don't make more trips than needed.

We "seniors" think alike. ;) :lol:

When I was younger, I remember getting fed up with hearing the phrase "living on a fixed income." Now I'M living that lifestyle. :(

[i]I had such a start when I read what you had to say. No kidding when we were younger we thought anyone over 30 was old. I always hated going to Grannys house and listen to all her aches and pains between her and all her lady friends. I swear I have all the pains those ladies had back then. God knows how to "pay back". My thing is now not to think like a senior or if I do I keep it to myself. HH the young have no idea what is coming do they? /i]
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Mon May 02, 2011 12:52 pm

No, they don't have a clue. ;) But time has a way of catching up with us all.

I try not to sound like a senior either. When my Medicare card showed up in the mail earlier this year, I remember thinking, "Can't be that time already... these red, white & blue striped cards are for "old" people like my parents & grandparents!" Then I remembered, "oh shoot, they're all dead now." :( I guess it is that time... for me.

And, oh by the way... how did my son get to be 42 years old already? Seems like he was only 10 just a few weeks ago. Where'd the time go?
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

peanut1439

Post Mon May 02, 2011 1:10 pm

Sky High Gas Prices, Higer Food costs, etc etc..... and No Cost Of Living raises the last 2 years makes it harder every month. I am so glad I have a decent food storage back up cause it looks like I'm gonna need it .
Sorry to #### about our Govt's lack of common sense to get our economy
Going so us Seniors don't suffer. GRRRRRRRRRR :x
Those who intentionally live off another’s labor will always want more free stuff!
<<

smokieonefour

Post Mon May 02, 2011 1:54 pm

HiddenHollow wrote:No, they don't have a clue. ;) But time has a way of catching up with us all.

I try not to sound like a senior either. When my Medicare card showed up in the mail earlier this year, I remember thinking, "Can't be that time already... these red, white & blue striped cards are for "old" people like my parents & grandparents!" Then I remembered, "oh shoot, they're all dead now." :( I guess it is that time... for me.

And, oh by the way... how did my son get to be 42 years old already? Seems like he was only 10 just a few weeks ago. Where'd the time go?

It happened, HH.... somewhere between when you started to finally fit into those life insurance commercials... "If you're between the ages of XX and XX...." ..... and when "your" music became "Oldies." hee hee hee... just teasin' :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

smokieonefour

Post Mon May 02, 2011 1:59 pm

peanut1439 wrote:Sky High Gas Prices, Higer Food costs, etc etc..... and No Cost Of Living raises the last 2 years makes it harder every month. I am so glad I have a decent food storage back up cause it looks like I'm gonna need it .
Sorry to #### about our Govt's lack of common sense to get our economy
Going so us Seniors don't suffer. GRRRRRRRRRR :x

We have extra food storage too, and have for years. ( We rotate the food... it doesn't sit for years! LOL ) We call it "The Hump" - it's what will get you over or thru any humps in the economy or bring home pay. "Where should I put the peanut butter?" - - "Put it in the hump..." We store, rice, flour, sugar, noodles, canned goods, water, stuff like that. Anything taken out of the hump is replaced. Several friends have remarked, "If things get ugly, I'm coming over here." ;-)

There are lists posted on the internet that tell you what you should have - the basics to survive and for how long, recipes and what you'll need, for food. Check 'em out ... and prepare yourself! :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

peanut1439

Post Mon May 02, 2011 2:38 pm

Smokie, we rotate the food too. I have chicken & beef bouillion cubes, sweet and low ( sugar, flour too) Yeast to make bread, some sweet stuff too like choc morsels, nuts and jarred marhmellow creme ( wifey likes her fudge...lol) Distilled water. When I was growing up in the era of bomb shelters, we had a cupboard in the garage full of stuff, just in case. I also have
Rice, beans pasta and canned goods along with dried garlic, dried onions, sea salt, pepper,olive oil,coffee, etc.
I add to it everytime I go to the store for groceries. Only a few extras like tooth paste, etc. It makes me feel a little safer each week as I see the prices go up.
I just added dry milk although I hate it, it can be used for cooking anyway. I am about out of room and had to use large plastic tubs. They seem to work well. My kids are a little worried about me, but I bet they'd be the first ones here for food...lol I think we're being smart. We can always use everything we have bought. Except for the Top Ramen, I'd give that away..hahahah
Last edited by peanut1439 on Tue May 03, 2011 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Those who intentionally live off another’s labor will always want more free stuff!
<<

duffygoofy

Post Mon May 02, 2011 2:41 pm

I also store can food and that.Gas here is $4.08.and they say it is going to $5.00 by June.That really sucks especially when your husband lost his job and your got family to take care of. We are both 40 years old and life is getting worst. :x as #### at the goverment.
ImageImage
<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Mon May 02, 2011 3:09 pm

Corner gas station went back up to $4.07 since I picked the kids up today.

Speedway by the kids school went up to $4.19
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

ndunn

Post Mon May 02, 2011 8:07 pm

HiddenHollow wrote:No, they don't have a clue. ;) But time has a way of catching up with us all.

My daughter will be 50 years old on her next birthday and her oldest son will be 25. I still think of her as about 12 when she comes over on a Sunday and has the newspaper all over. I think she changes as soon as she hits the front door but that's okay with me because if she's 12 I'm a whole lot younger too. My next door neighbor had a real fit when she first got Social Security. I didn't have a problem with it as they are paying me to be old.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Mon May 02, 2011 8:57 pm

ndunn wrote:My next door neighbor had a real fit when she first got Social Security.

I tried to get my family doctor to write me a script for anti-depressants when my card arrived, but she wouldn't do it. :( ;)
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

jsw14

Post Mon May 02, 2011 9:44 pm

HiddenHollow wrote:
ndunn wrote:My next door neighbor had a real fit when she first got Social Security.

I tried to get my family doctor to write me a script for anti-depressants when my card arrived, but she wouldn't do it. :( ;)

Hmmmmmmm, is this what I'm in for when I get my first SS check this month??? :mrgreen:
BS & Brilliance only come with Age & Experience!!
Image "Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012
Image #SmokeWillRise
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Tue May 03, 2011 12:51 pm

jsw14 wrote:
HiddenHollow wrote:

Hmmmmmmm, is this what I'm in for when I get my first SS check this month??? :mrgreen:

I don't know, j. For me, it was just kinda depressing realizing I had reached "that age." :(

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

jsw14

Post Tue May 03, 2011 1:01 pm

My age don't bother me one bit H. It's just my turn to get some of my $$$ back that I have payed in to the SS fund!!! Even though the Gov has left alot of I.O.U.'s in their!!! :lol: :lol: ;)
Image #SmokeWillRise
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Tue May 03, 2011 1:09 pm

I just hope the SS fund will be around a little longer than we are. We've already had no cost of living increases for the past 2 years. Anyone else notice the cost of living NOT going up in the past 2 years where you live? I didn't think so.

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

jsw14

Post Tue May 03, 2011 1:16 pm

Us baby boomers are grandfathered in to SS..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
Cost of living?? What's that???? :roll:
Image #SmokeWillRise
PreviousNext

Return to The Lobby