Another update today:Trevor Bayne out of hospital, but won't get right back on trackBy Jim Utter — firstname.lastname@example.org
Posted: 1:37pm on May 5, 2011; Modified: 2:05pm on May 5, 2011
Daytona 500 winner Trevor Bayne was released from the Mayo Clinic on Thursday to return to North Carolina but will not return to driving for the time being.
A news release from Roush Fenway Racing said Bayne is expected to return to his NASCAR racing duties with both Roush in the Nationwide Series and the Wood Brothers in the Sprint Cup Series this season.
No timetable has been set for his return, however, and he will not drive in Saturday’s Nationwide race at Darlington, S.C.
Thursday morning, Bayne posted the following on his Twitter account: “I know I’m right where God wants me to be! finally going back to nc today! Waiting patiently to get better! Thanks everyone!”
“Trevor Bayne was seen by a team of Mayo Clinic specialists where he underwent a series of tests and consultations over the last week,” said Mayo Clinic neurologist Dr. Brian Crum. “He was admitted after suffering from nausea, fatigue and vision impairment.
“Since his admission, the nausea and fatigue have abated, and the vision impairment continues to be treated with medication, and is showing significant improvement.”
Crum said the vision problem appeared to be the result of “an inflammatory condition” and further tests will be done over the next several weeks.
“His condition is not life-threatening or career-ending. We expect he will continue to improve, though the time frame for his return to racing is unknown at this point,” Crum said.
Bayne, 20, entered the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., a week ago to undergo tests for symptoms originally thought to have been related to an insect bite for which he was hospitalized earlier this month.
Last Saturday afternoon while at Mayo, Bayne posted a note on his Twitter account saying he no longer believed his illness had to do with the bite.
Bayne was the surprise winner of the season-opening Daytona 500 driving for the Wood Brothers. He is not scheduled to make another Sprint Cup start until May 21 in the NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race at Charlotte Motor Speedway.http://www.kentucky.com/2011/05/05/1731 ... l-but.html