FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Kurt Busch still considering Indy 500 run UPDATE

<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:16 am

Kurt Busch still considering Indy 500 run UPDATE

UPDATE: Kurt Busch says there is a "70 percent'' chance he'll compete in the Indianapolis 500 this year. Busch said Monday during the opening day of the NASCAR Sprint Cup Media Tour that progress has been made to make him the first NASCAR driver to to run in the Indianapolis 500 and Coca-Cola 600 in the same day since Robby Gordon last did a decade ago. Busch said that Stewart-Haas Racing co-owners Gene Haas and Tony Stewart have given their approval to his attempt. "It's actually grabbed better traction the last couple of weeks, it's gotten me more excited,'' Busch said. "The teams that are showing interest, the sponsors and the opportunity is there. I think we've even rounded up some partners that will make transportation better. I don't know when we'll have a decision but we now have to understand how NASCAR's qualifying procedures will work and the time I cannot be out of the Cup car to go to do Indianapolis stuff. We have to make sure we balance that.'' Busch said he's had interest from Andretti Autosport, the team owned by Michael Andretti, and another team he declined to name.(Motor Racing Network)(1-28-2014)
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

Cinde4Kurt

Post Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:49 pm

Re: Kurt Busch still considering Indy 500 run UPDATE

I think it would be a great experience for him to do one time!
Kurt's #1 Fan... ALWAYS >;<

#41in14
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:46 pm

im sure he will do a good job.
<<

jdpirate

Post Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:14 pm

Glad he's getting the chance that he wants. Hope he does well.
I'm Living my life the way I want to..... Tony Stewart
Never Quit..... Marcus Luttrell Lone Survivor
<<

BlackFlag

Post Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:09 pm

Well, I don't have high hopes for him, but if he wants to try I say go for it.
At least it would make me actually want to watch the Indy race this year, just to see how he does.
My least favorite band in the history of music is called: Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:44 am

i always watch the indy race, lets face it that is a race fans dream day, F1 in the morning, indy mid afternoon, nascar at nite.
<<

BlackFlag

Post Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:05 pm

Maybe he can use the Ricky Bobby paint job again on the Indy car. LOL
My least favorite band in the history of music is called: Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:33 pm

i will be impressed when he gets a real sponsor, instead of a owner who owns a business
<<

Anyone But Earnhardt

Post Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:15 pm

i will be impressed when he gets a real sponsor, instead of a owner who owns a business

Someone own Lowes as Well. First store was a mom and pop shop in North Wlkesborough, NC.

HAAS is one of the highest accredited CNC machine manufactures in the world.

A.B.E.
<<

KMOAutobahn

Post Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:39 pm

As it is right now, he's already missed the fontana test that was this past monday. So he would be completely green in the indy 500. not ideal.

Pretty sure the hangup is over sponsors, which is why he's talking to so many different teams. They want him to drive, but no money.
<<

KMOAutobahn

Post Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:47 pm

michaeljohn wrote:i will be impressed when he gets a real sponsor, instead of a owner who owns a business

Kinda tells you the state of nascar and how corporate it's gotten when you see back of the pack guys like aric almirola and casey mears still get stable sponsorships. It's not for on track performance, i'll tell you that.

My feeling is that even if kurt keeps his nose clean from here on out, sponsors are still going to have a tough time buying in on him. Primarily because he's not exactly a young driver to attach a brand to anymore, and because of his past transgressions.
<<

Anyone But Earnhardt

Post Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:48 pm

I agree to and extent with you KMO. Kurt made his bed ...... However, Kurt has way more talent than a lot of the nice guys like Almirola. Look what happened to Truex! His team mates bent the rules, to be nice, and they kept there jobs, now all those NAPA commercials with him are gone while Boyer still does 5 hour ones. One Good year and Kurt can be back with a sponsor. One more thing to think about, would you rather have Almirola in your car or Kurt? I would think that all would pick Kurt just by stats.

Anyone But Earnhardt
<<

KMOAutobahn

Post Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:03 pm

Could Chevrolet be part of Kurt Busch’s and AJ Allmendinger’s Indy 500 plans?

I've been disappointed that there hasn't been any update on kurt's indy 500 bid, esp since the fontana test has come and passed. Sounds like one of the potential hangups is over manufacturer affiliations considering AA switched over to Honda power this year.

Kurt's never had a strong affiliation as a team chevy driver. His golden years were either with dodge or ford. So I hope Chevy just lets him go ahead with running a honda powered car if that becomes an issue.
<<

KMOAutobahn

Post Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:11 pm

Anyone But Earnhardt wrote:I agree to and extent with you KMO. Kurt made his bed ...... However, Kurt has way more talent than a lot of the nice guys like Almirola. Look what happened to Truex! His team mates bent the rules, to be nice, and they kept there jobs, now all those NAPA commercials with him are gone while Boyer still does 5 hour ones. One Good year and Kurt can be back with a sponsor. One more thing to think about, would you rather have Almirola in your car or Kurt? I would think that all would pick Kurt just by stats.

Anyone But Earnhardt

I think the napa thing was because they wanted to leave MWR rather than truex, more than anything. Which kinda brings the team aspect into sponsorships. I've noticed how hendrick likes to move around certain sponsors from car to car (TW cable from 5 to 88, Pepsi from 88 to 24).....and i don't like to say this, but SHR has high marketability outside of Kurt with Danica, Smoke and Happy. I mean state water heaters prob has a deal with SHR, but their sponsorship got shifted to kurt's car because there was room.
<<

Anyone But Earnhardt

Post Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:12 pm

[quote="KMOAutobahn"][quote="Anyone But Earnhardt"]I agree to and extent with you KMO. Kurt made his bed ...... However, Kurt has way more talent than a lot of the nice guys like Almirola. Look what happened to Truex! His team mates bent the rules, to be nice, and they kept there jobs, now all those NAPA commercials with him are gone while Boyer still does 5 hour ones. One Good year and Kurt can be back with a sponsor. One more thing to think about, would you rather have Almirola in your car or Kurt? I would think that all would pick Kurt just by stats.

KMO,

I've been thinking about this, and I really think that it is honestly just big business. Look at the 80's and 90's Most of the top drivers had one primary sponsor. Now there are only a few that have a committed 36 race sponsor. Even names like Dale Jr. has three to four different sponsors during the year. Lowes, Dupont or what ever they are now, Miller Lite, and Penzoil are about it.

Even Budweiser isn't a 36 race sponsor. That is why I think that the Big Business' are causing this.

For example:

Remember some of these guys.

1. Winston Cup- Government said no to Tobaco Sponsors NASCAR is lucky Nextel/Sprint stepped up. Remember rick mast drove the #1 and Harry Gant in the 33

2. Remember when Maxwell House and Folgers were sponsors.

3. Bobby Hamilton had Country Time.

4. Heck Petty has STP but not anymore.

5. Even Home depot is not a 36 race sponsor.

Anyway the list can go on and on with cars we used to see. Sterling Marlin in the Coors Light etc.

Companies are holding there money tightly and sad for Drivers that could actually use some more funding. I remember when Sponsors threw money at teams to have there name on the hood. I saw Geoff Bodine win a race in Person in the QVC car #7. QVC Really Now there all gone. So intern, I'm not so sure having a built in sponsor like Haas or Furniture Row is such a bad thing. You know that as long as you have good results than the money will keep coming. Who knows what the future holds but who knows when outside sponsors will decide to pull there money regardless of who the driver is. Just a thought.

A.B.E.
Next

Return to Kurt Busch