FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Favorite Movie

<<

tlmerk

Post Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:25 am

Re: Favorite Movie

I'm not going to add to this list but will agree that Tombstone and the original Willy Wonka are timeless. Funny that 4 people have already mentioned 2 of my all-time favorites!
Where there's Smoke, there's fire!
<<

smokieonefour

Post Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:07 pm

midwesternsmoke wrote:
michaeljohn wrote:i dont blame johnny depp as much as i blame tim burton.....

nahhhhhhh, c'mon.....Depp is NOWHERE near the "Wonka" that Wilder was. Even IF it was SUPPOSED to be darker than the original, which on many levels it TRIED to be, Depp still should've tried to be more of an amusing dark character as was Wilder in the original. Wilder could pull off DARK and still have that incredibly charming smile on his face and that impish gleam in his eye.

Gene Wilder played the role shortly after his beloved wife, Gilda Radner, passed away from Cancer. He would accept no roles except care-taker, for her. When she passed, that was his first role and it's said that his 'darkness' was channeled by his anger, grief, loss ... Not sure ANYONE could or would want to try and re-do that. Huge Gene Wilder Fan :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:22 pm

just watched Rush it was about two F1 drivers competing in 70's, it was pretty good, the attention to detail was excellent.
<<

onerockindoc

Post Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:11 pm

FYI....MW, Willy Wonka will be on tomorrow night in the family channel!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

Rochelle

Post Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:57 pm

I have favorites and sentimental favorites. Original Willy Wonka rules! Everyone that redid or even thought about redoing that should have been shot! I could go on a huge rant here about all the remakes but suffice it to say... "GET AN ORIGINAL THOUGHT PEOPLE" Quit trying to pick our pockets with all your crappy remakes! My all time favorite that I've watched again and again and again is the LOTR trilogy. Read the books when I was a kid and I don't think anyone could have done them any better than Peter Jackson. My current fav is The Hobbit even though I resisted it at first. Just teed me off that the smallest of the books was divided into 2 parts. I'm also a huge Transformers fan although I'm not sorry to see Shia go.

I have some sentimental favorites of some of the old classics, but that would take me quite some time to go through. I did like the old Disney movies when I was a kid too.

Smokie, Spirit - The Wild Stallion reminds me of one of my absolute favorites when I was a kid cause I loved horses. I would bet 99% of you never heard of this and I'd kill to find it on DVD or even a video tape... "Tonka" Not sure if that was the whole name, it's been a lot of years but it's sort of similar to Spirit. It starred Sal Mineo who I fell in love with in my youthful days. Probably wouldn't surprise you that I always chose to play the Indian when my cousin and I played Cowboys and Indians... nuff said... :mrgreen:
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

Rachael J

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:59 am

michaeljohn wrote:just watched Rush it was about two F1 drivers competing in 70's, it was pretty good, the attention to detail was excellent.

I wondered whether that movie was any good or not. May have to check it out.
#ISupportSmoke
#SmokeHasRisen
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:03 am

smokieonefour wrote:
midwesternsmoke wrote:
michaeljohn wrote:i dont blame johnny depp as much as i blame tim burton.....

nahhhhhhh, c'mon.....Depp is NOWHERE near the "Wonka" that Wilder was. Even IF it was SUPPOSED to be darker than the original, which on many levels it TRIED to be, Depp still should've tried to be more of an amusing dark character as was Wilder in the original. Wilder could pull off DARK and still have that incredibly charming smile on his face and that impish gleam in his eye.

Gene Wilder played the role shortly after his beloved wife, Gilda Radner, passed away from Cancer. He would accept no roles except care-taker, for her. When she passed, that was his first role and it's said that his 'darkness' was channeled by his anger, grief, loss ... Not sure ANYONE could or would want to try and re-do that. Huge Gene Wilder Fan :-)

Sorry Smokie.....the movie was made in 1971....Gilda passed in 1989, she didn't even marry Gene Wilder 'til 1984. He made about 15 or so movies after Wonka before he married Gilda in 1984. :D
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:23 am

wel to fuel the fire i thought charlie and the chocolate factory was a great book, better than any movie.
<<

Anyone But Earnhardt

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:18 pm

Hi Everyone,

You all have picked some great movies and Can not argue with anything. I probably have a few movies I just can't stop watching.

I agree with Shawshank Redemption

Good Fellas is excellent.

Rocky IV what a great classic.

Gladiator with Russell Crowe awesome blue ray sounds.

How about Step Brothers?????? I laugh the entire time.

My All Time Favorite though. "TOPGUN" I have to watch that with the surround sound as high as it will go!

Thanks all,

A.B.E
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:22 pm

CRANK IT UP!

Topgun & Mrs HH likes The Blues Brothers

"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

smokieonefour

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:25 pm

midwesternsmoke wrote:

Sorry Smokie.....the movie was made in 1971....Gilda passed in 1989, she didn't even marry Gene Wilder 'til 1984. He made about 15 or so movies after Wonka before he married Gilda in 1984. :D[/quote]

Thanks MW - I have NO idea what I was talking about! LOL Did I think those 2 were another couple? Repeating gossip w/out checking? On drugs? Jeepers... EPIC Fail LOL
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

<<

smokieonefour

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:32 pm

Rochelle... I remember that movie... I think... ( see above ^ LOL )

Wasn't it in the Civil war? Late 50's - early 60's ? That one ?

Also HH - in the 80's we were camping at a place that had electrical hook ups. My brother-n-law went home, grabbed a TV, VCR & tape of Top Gun. The sun was out so we had to house the TV in the tent to see it. It was SO funny to see people walking by and hearing it but not know where it was coming from. Started out w/just like 6 of us gathered around the front of the tent... and ended up, like a drive-in w/many more folks who pulled up chairs. Every time I hear that movie name - I remember this. :-)

Rochelle - here is movie on EBay for sale -

http://www.amazon.com/Tonka-aka-Horse-Named-Comanche/dp/B0007YWX7M
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

<<

onerockindoc

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:28 pm

How could I have forgotten The Blues Brothers????

My daughter works for Dan Akroyd...in a round about way. She is the events coordinator at The House of Blues here in Houston. She loves it and they pay her a great salary!!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:14 pm

just finished up watching "the dallas buyers club." it is worth the watch.....
<<

wolfgang

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:23 pm

michaeljohn wrote:just watched Rush it was about two F1 drivers competing in 70's, it was pretty good, the attention to detail was excellent.

I like Rush, 2112-Red Barchetta-Workin Man-ect. :mrgreen:
PreviousNext

Return to The Lobby