FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Just to Shake Things Up a Little Bit

<<

hboyle

Post Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:14 pm

Just to Shake Things Up a Little Bit

Just to shake things up a little bit, I'd love to get to know more about you guys...

What got you into racing and what made you a NASCAR fan? Who's your favorite driver? Do you have any special experiences that you'd love to tell? Essentially, what's your NASCAR fan story.

I figured I would create this topic so that we can get to learn more about each other. :)
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:12 pm

Re: Just to Shake Things Up a Little Bit

i got into racing full time around 88-89, the people i worked with always talked about it, so i watched one weekend. i didnt have a fav driver for the longest time, then i seen kenny schrader give a interview and he was his typical goofball self and i became a fan, i also liked davey allison, he had great potential.....my fav story of bein a fan was my first trip to dover in 95, it was a comedy of errors, i have it posted in the nascar thread under fav moments. one funny moment at dover was, you couldnt take coolers in the track, so we left our cooler right outside the gate and every hour we go take a beer break, my friend claimed i fell asleep, but i dont remember doin so.....

did you start following nascar because of danica and were you a fan when she was in indy cars?
<<

hboyle

Post Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:10 pm

I got into racing in the early 90's because my Nana was a huge Jeff Gordon fan. She really liked his personality, and then, he also started winning like crazy. My Dad was an Dale Earnhardt, Sr fan at the time. I will never forget that day he crashed. My Nana and I were watching the race together, and it was just so sad what happened. So really, I consider myself to be a NASCAR fan because my Nana and I would watch the races together. We were both big Gordon fans. She passed away suddenly in 2004; however, and I just couldn't watch the races anymore because it reminded me too much that she was gone. I stopped watching racing for a while. Danica got me back into racing when she won the pole at Daytona. She's got a huge draw, and I hope she does well in the future. It could mean a lot for NASCAR if she does really well.

Anyway, after she won the pole, I started watching NASCAR again on a weekly basis like I used to with my Nana long ago. My grandfather noticed that and bought me race tickets and pit passes as a birthday gift in June, and we went to New Hampshire Motor Speedway in July. I had a great time in the pits looking at the cars and talking with the pit crews. I got a bunch of the pit crews to sign stuff for me, but I didn't get to meet any of the drivers personally.

I'll never forget the moment when I was standing near Danica's car, and this security guy let a child hop the rope to get a picture with her car. I thought it was extremely cute. Then, he turned to me, and his exact words were, "Miss, I noticed you've been patiently waiting. I don't usually do this for adults, but would you like to pose with the car." Of course, I was ecstatic so I can say that I got to pose with Danica's car. I'll have to post that picture sometime. Unfortunately, Danica crashed that day and didn't finish the race, but the experience I had at the track made me want to go back as soon as I can. I really can't wait to be at a race again!
<<

Rachael J

Post Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:56 am

I started watching nascar after I graduated school in 2001. Decided I needed something new to enjoy and that happened to be nascar. I had a friend who watched a lot before then and told me what a great sport it was, but I didn't pay much intention to him then. Now I wish I would've. Great sport! ......So, I decided to follow Dale Jr. I'll never forget him winning the Daytona 500! As I continued on watching, I found myself really liking this guy Tony Stewart! Boy, could he wheel a racecar, on pavement and dirt! Loved his personality too! So, before you know it, I was a Smoke fan! I like several others drivers too, Jimmie J, Kasey Kahne, Jeff Gordon and so on...... But Tony's my number 1 driver! I've never been to a race. Hopefully someday I can see one in person. :) ..........Watching nascar helped me through some difficult times in life too. Just a way to get away from life for a few hours and have something to enjoy.
<<

awsum14

Post Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:17 am

Awsum 20 and I have been paying more attention to Nascar since 2000, when I read that a driver was going to do "The 1100". That was our man Tony. Had watched a few Indy and Nascar race before, but had never really got into them on a regular bases. Watching him come in 6th at Indy and than jumping on a plane to Atlanta to do the 600 and he finished 4th after Nascar sent him to the back of the pack for missing the drivers meeting. I told 20 to watch out, 'cuz this guy is going to be in the top 10 before this race is half over. Which he was. Been watching him ever since.
If at first you don't succeed, don't give up
Try Harder
<<

jsw14

Post Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:19 am

I started watching Nascar in the late 80's on TV. I wanted to go too the track & see a live race so bad I could taste it....Years later in 1997 I had the chance to go too the Die-Hard 500 at Dega. It was RAINED- OUT!!!! Nascar rescheduled the race for the next Sunday (Mother's day). Yup, U guessed it we went back to Dega.... That race went Green, White, Checker!!! Mark Martin Won by a half a car to beat Dale Earnhardt Sr. I was Hooked on Nascar!! BTW my driver back then was Harry Gant #33. When the Rookie Tony came to Nascar in "99", I said Whoooooaa, that kid can wheel a race car...! Tony was the man for me....In 2000 I met my wife online & we were married on the Start-Finish- Line at Bristol, TN on 3/23/2002. (she's a Jeff Gordon fan :roll: :) ) We have had alot of fun camping at Nascar tracks that we have been too over the years.
BS & Brilliance only come with Age & Experience!!
Image "Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012
Image #SmokeWillRise
<<

ndunn

Post Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:30 pm

I started watching racing at a dirt track when I was in high school. I'm with Tony on that part of racing. I followed Indy car for years and was so pleased the women that drove Indy were appreciated.I started being a Fan of NASCAR back in the old school days and was interested in several drivers in their racing. I could not stand Richard Petty and it was for the same reason people are tired of JJ winning so many races. Finally deceided that wasn't a very good reason. My first two NASCAR fav's were Kenny Shrader and Johnny Benson. Since Johnny is a Michigan racer I follow his history. I just adore Kenny for his genuine interest in the sport and his fellow racers. I have been interested in Tony for many reasons. His name is Anthony Wayne Stewart but he is way more than that. He is Tony, Smoke, Smoke will rise, champion, businessman and friend to alot of people. Tony is a comlicated person on one hand but on the other he is that kid from Columbus, IN who loves to race anywhere, in anything that moves, and as often as he can. Tony knows where he came from and as far as he cares he never left. He owns the home he grew up in and then built a mansion but I'll bet the house in town is where his comfort is. All of his fans can hardly wait to see THE MAN in his # 14 driving the tires off the car at Dayton 2014.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Annalee

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:41 am

awsum14 wrote:Awsum 20 and I have been paying more attention to Nascar since 2000, when I read that a driver was going to do "The 1100". That was our man Tony. Had watched a few Indy and Nascar race before, but had never really got into them on a regular bases. Watching him come in 6th at Indy and than jumping on a plane to Atlanta to do the 600 and he finished 4th after Nascar sent him to the back of the pack for missing the drivers meeting. I told 20 to watch out, 'cuz this guy is going to be in the top 10 before this race is half over. Which he was. Been watching him ever since.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^DITTO^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My family has always loved racing........... my Dad went to school and was best friends with Indy 500 winner "Bill Vukovich"....... and as a little girl was in the pits and stands for many of the Indy 500 races....when I moved to NC and saw Tony doing the Duel... And he had been an IRL Champion, I knew he was going to be "Good"...... I just didn't know he would be that GOOD !!!... Loved him ever since!! :)
Image"Fight for Four".......................me
<<

hboyle

Post Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:41 pm

I forgot to mention that another reason why I probably started watching racing in general is because of my Papa (grandfather). He has always loved cars and always enjoyed tinkering with them. This is kind of a side story, but one time when my Dad was growing up, he walked into the garage to find his entire car in pieces. My Papa had completely dismantled his car down to every nut and bolt. He freaked out and thought his car was ruined. The very next day, the car was all back together like it was never touched.

Anyway, my Papa took me to some dirt track races when I was younger. Those were some cool races too because the ones we went to usually involved people getting cars from the junk yard and re-vamping them / making them work. The courses were so treacherous that it was pretty much guaranteed that each car would be a wreck by the end. During one of the races, someone drove this older beat up Chevy from the 60s, and that thing just kept going, even after they had lost the right front tire. They won the race even though they were running on rims toward the end. Hahahaha. It was great.

Return to The Lobby