FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

MLB News and notes.............

<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:41 am

Re: MLB News and notes.............

well the phillies got bombed last nite 7-1 against the mets, cole hamels more less got booed off the mound by the 3rd inning, it maybe exciting to have those three great picture in that rotation, hamels is clearly the weak link, and has been for a few years now.

after one week, the orioles, royals and rangers lead the american league
the mets, reds, padres lead the national league.
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:13 am

Rays - still winless. This is NOT gonna be a good year for them. :(
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:18 am

did they have to disband most of the team, due to money?

its a shame when small market teams have to do that
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:31 am

Yup, that's exactly what happened. I think this year they have the smallest payroll in MLB. They can't fill the ball park (except when the NYY's or Red Sox come to town) and while they have a contract with the city of St Pete through 20something, they want a new ball park and are looking beyond St Pete.

It's a shambles. :(
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:59 pm

i know on espn they talked alot about st pete and they would say it was in a bad part of town, where people normally do not go, now you can answer that question better, is that why people dont show up, and if so, did they have this problem when the stadium was built, or was this something new that came about?
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:33 pm

Years ago, a core group of St pete folks thought a MLB team would do well in St Pete, so they built a domed stadium and pleaded with MLB to add an expansion team. MLB, looking to grow at the time, granted them a franchise.

The stadium is not located in a "bad" part of town. South St Pete would have been worse, but this is pretty centrally located near the downtown area.

Personally, I think the group of local supporters just plain oversold the area as a baseball town. We do have several teams that come to the area every year for spring training - Yankees, Phillies & Blue Jays. Those games are well attended (small venues), but a lot by the "snowbirds" who are down for the winter from the home cities of the 3 teams. Spring training attendance just didn't turn out to mean a "home team" would get the same kind of attendance. Heck, even in 2008, the year they went to the World Series against the Phillies, they had trouble filling the stands. Very few games were sold out that year.

The Buccaneers, with their NFL stadium in Tampa couldn't sell out a single home game last season so all home games were blacked out on local TV. That was mostly due to the bad economy, but the economy has also hurt the Rays, so It's been a double wammy for them.

Last year the Rays even moved their spring training from St Pete, south to Port Charlotte. :shock: What does that tell you?

Tampa/St Pete is a "small" market for all professional sports teams.
- Buccaneers (NFL)
- Rays (MLB)
- Storm (AFL)
- Lightning (NHL)
- FC Tampa Bay (NASL)

They were already struggling before the economy went sour. It's just worse now. I don't see the Rays staying in St Pete. Tampa is interested, but is trying to stay low profile so it doesn't end up being a fight between 2 cities across the bay from each other.

Time will tell.

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

smokieonefour

Post Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:13 pm

Any Oakland A's fans out there? :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:37 pm

smokieonefour wrote:Any Oakland A's fans out there? :-)

i wear an A's hat often, just because i like the colors, hahaha
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:40 pm

well HH that was good insight to what is going on down there, the twins had that problem with their dome, nobody wanted to sit inside and watch a baseball game, especially when they have at least 6 good months of cold, now they have a open air stadium, seats around 40 thousand and they sell out every night now, instead of having 10-15 thousand people show up every night.
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:47 pm

I don't know about sitting outside, in the sun or thunderstorms in St. Pete during the summer months. I think more fans (and players) would end up with heat stroke. Many games would be called for rain & lightening. We can get some real nasty, dangerous weather down here in the summer... not to mention hurricanes.

I don't think it's the domed stadium as much as the area. The "ticket-paying-fans" just aren't here like they thought they would be. I'm not sure they would do any better in Tampa.

I may be wrong about a domed stadium, but the only way to find out is to build them an outdoor ballpark and in this economy, the citizens don't want additional taxes to pay for it.

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:33 am

well i was glad that the mlb never retracted the twins and they rays, those are both worthy teams and the rays have proved it over the last few years building up a farm system,
maybe if they built a new stadium they could build one with a retractable roof
<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:33 am

sometimes money cant buy you a good start boston 0-6............
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:38 am

Carl Crawford (who they got from the Rays) hasn't helped them much so far either. Did I read they dropped him down in the batting order?

He'll come around... just got off to a bad start. CC is a heck of a player. The Rays will miss him.

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:19 am

i feel your pain HH,
they play the yanks this weekend, so it will be interesting what happens this weekend.
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:45 am

I don't care for the Yankees, but I like them better than I like the Red Sox, who I actually dislike. Doesn't break my heart to see the Sox struggling.

What does break my heart and makes me want to bury my head in the sand is Atlanta losing three-straight to Princess Fielder and Company. Argh.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
PreviousNext

Return to The Lobby