FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Invasion Of Privacy Or Not..........

<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:10 pm

Invasion Of Privacy Or Not..........

http://autos.aol.com/article/black-boxes-in-cars-will-be-standard-by-2014/
Black Box Recorder Behind Your Dashboard

I knew some were around, but I didn't know they were in so many vehicles. I can see putting them in vehicles of people who've been arrested for crashes or other bad stuff involving a vehicle, but for every day Joes like ourselves...............Invasion of privacy I say.

I can see it doing good for accidents, but anything set to be good is always abused.

Another thing that will come into play is traffic light cameras instead of the big cameras set up off to the side of the road at red lights. They'll not have warning signs posted lights are being photographed like they are around here. I do believe our city & next door city is trying a couple areas out. That's just my opinion on the thought.......I'm just waiting to hear I'm right when the time comes.

Internet is already being spied on, you know phone conversations (cell phones) are also.

America, land of the free............yes but no. Our rights are being taken away.

Enough of this jabber from me......back on the article subject.......black boxes in your vehicle.

I think it'll be abused on what the data will show. We should have every right to view our own box record, it's our box in our vehicle, our right......just like the whatcha call it law that says you have the right to view your medical file / records at the Dr office any time you want to.
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: Invasion Of Privacy Or Not..........

doc invades my privacy everyday...
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

ndunn

Post Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:34 pm

And the point is? I don't see why everything that is private or used to be has to be someone elses business. Those little tags one has filling up a key ring for discounts here and there is for the manufacture for advance info I suppose we all can use a discount now and then. But what I won't give out is phone number or e-mail address. I asked once what that had to do with a cash sale and was told it was for what is selling where. I don't like the idea of someone else selling my address to every charity (phony or not) as last year from January 20012 untill January of 2013 my husband and I got over 200 requests for money. I could not believe it as we had never had more than a half dozen in a years time.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Jellikit

Post Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:23 pm

Primarily, those black boxes are for helping to analyze crash info. It will tell how fast you were going, if you applied the brakes and how hard, and pretty much everything you were doing. So, if you're in the right in an accident, then it's a plus.
But, like it was mentioned, you just don't know everything that it will record and use. And that's just not cool.
Guess I'll just keep an old car forever for when I need to make those runs to the border and back. :mrgreen: :lol: ;)
<<

beaverpond

Post Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:08 pm

I had an '88 Mercury that had a lot of computerization to it. I was told up front that they could tell in an accident how fast I was going, if airbags deployed, how much pressure from the bags was used, were there passengers in the vehicle, how many, how many gallons of gasoline were left in the tank, where the vehicle was hit and how much pressure per square inch there was at impact, and the list goes on...

Then there was a monitoring system for the engine as to emissions, cylinders, and brakes. There was also one for each and every light. If one was out, there was a cluster panel that could tell you where it was located. Then you had the full gauges package.
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...
<<

Annalee

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:13 am

I don't like it.......invasion of privacy! Next thing they will be doing is selling the info to your insurance company. :twisted: :evil: For hybrid cars it is a way to collect taxes on mileage used.. Because you are not buying as much gas, they need to make up for the loss in revenue. What they are building in Utah, will hold all this......FYI Big Brother is alive and well!

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

beaverpond

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:27 am

They have been trying to institute a hybrid tax for the past couple of legislative sessions here in Maine that hybrid owners would pay "x" number of cents per mile to make up for the fuel taxes lost to those high mpg engines.

I guess I will be our states savior because during the winter months my truck only gets 12mpg and during the summer months it gets only 18mpg. They say I am paying $4.80 in taxes for every 10 gallons of fuel. Lets get this straight...with my tank it cost $15.84 in taxes for each fill up when she is almost empty.

However, at this time of the year I can go well over 600 miles on a tank of gas...problem is filling it up because it costs more than $125 to fill it.
Image Image

<<

ndunn

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:46 pm

Michigan has a new idea to collect your money. Instead of new taxes we have fee's for every thing. The latest is a fee for the street lights and for the fire hydrants. Now granted we need both but before that was included in property taxes. I asked why we had to pay for the city lights since we live in the township. Our street lights are included in our taxes but since we drive into the city we have the use of the street lights. We don't pay as much as the residents do so isn't that sweet. I think my daughter and her fiance have the best idea. They are so fed up with the mess this state is in that they are saving their money and will retire to a third world country and enjoy the sand beaches. Oh but at the ages those two are they will be lucky to retire at all. I suppose my son will spend his golden years playing golf at Myrtle Beach. He loves that place so much he's probably played in the rain.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

<<

beaverpond

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:31 pm

I am trying to think of something there is not a tax on in Maine anymore...that is list is very short and has gotten increasingly smaller after this past legislative session. Even a lot of the food items now have a tax and or bottle deposit on them that did not before.

Our new motto should be "Welcome to Maine...We Have A Tax For That" ... and ... "What, Leaving So Soon? You Have Not Paid Your Fair Share, Pay Up Bucko !!!"

This way we have a sign for entering the state and a sign for leaving the state.
Image Image

<<

ndunn

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:12 pm

beaverpond wrote:I am trying to think of something there is not a tax on in Maine anymore...that is list is very short and has gotten increasingly smaller after this past legislative session. Even a lot of the food items now have a tax and or bottle deposit on them that did not before.

Our new motto should be "Welcome to Maine...We Have A Tax For That" ... and ... "What, Leaving So Soon? You Have Not Paid Your Fair Share, Pay Up Bucko !!!"

This way we have a sign for entering the state and a sign for leaving the state.

Wow that is the hammer hitting the nail HEAD ON! Beaverpond I swear Michigan will have a sign up like that before the day is over. And this suppose to be a vacaton state. Who wants to buy property here. We still have no tax on food but with the govenor we have that'll be gone but he won't call it tax as to him it will be a fee. A few years ago the public voted to double the sales tax and now that isn't enough they want the online sales tax Michigan buyers would donate. I better sign off as all this crap depresses me and I never get depressed. On the no tax for food does not count for resrtaurant food. They still have a tax for that.

<<

beaverpond

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:56 pm

and our license plates actually say...Maine...Vacationland...

this needs to be changed to...Maine...Taxationland...
Image Image

<<

ndunn

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:04 pm

beaverpond wrote:and our license plates actually say...Maine...Vacationland...

this needs to be changed to...Maine...Taxationland...

Don't you just love government? As for Michigan auto plates they have so many different ones to get money from it's a joke. Of course the special ones cost a bundle. I can only name a few, The big green S for Michigan State, probably the M for Michigan since State is in our back yards we don't look for M, they have a few of the Macinaw bridge you probably know what this is leading to. If it cost more Michigan has it. Oh I forgot about the letters etc one can use as long as it is not swearing.

<<

beaverpond

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:02 pm

We have 21 different license plates in Maine. I am not even going to start by listing them all out because I would have to categorize them as that is the only way that seems to make sense. Of all of these only one does not come with additional fees.

I think VT has it as one of the most simple ... only four. Personal Vehicle, Truck, Trailer, Commercial Vehicle
Image Image

Return to The Lobby