FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

NFL Football 2013-2014

<<

smoke14rulez

Post Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:43 am

Re: NFL Football 2013-2014

HTower wrote:
michaeljohn wrote:Do the raven have what it takes to repeat?

I don't think they have a chance, so many players took free agent contracts and Flacco got a huge payout.

You must not pay too much attention to the Ravens then. They've actually upgraded in many positions. Like safety, Ed Reed ISN'T the old Ed Reed anymore...he'll still hurt ya' if you get careless down the middle of the field, but...that's about it. Doesn't have the same speed to blitz him, doesn't cover that well anymore, blew more than a few "overtop" last year and doesn't tackle well(since the shoulder injury). In fact, there was a joke here the last few years that "Ed Reed couldn't hit the ground hard if he fell down." I respect what he did, but...he's past his prime and, frankly, isn't worth what the Texans gave him. If this kid Elam plays out like everyone thinks...BIG upgrade. I think Huff coming in after Pollard left is about a push. IF(and a big if) Webb can stay healthy and Smith plays like he did "down the stretch"...the defensive backfield should be MUCH improved over last year. Ellerbe leaving was the biggest blow to the D and as much as Ray was loved, he was past his prime too. Still ILB is the biggest :?: for me, hopefully Arthur Brown will be a plus, but you never know with rookies? Kruger leaving was, I thought a big deal...until Dumervil fell into the Ravens laps, thanks to Denvers screw up. :D So, that's an upgrade from Kruger, who had a career season...and only had 1.5 sacks until Suggs came back and most of those were when Suggs was lined up next to him/behind him...read, Suggs got the attention. ;) Picked up Canty at DT, nice addition. And the rookie NT Brandon Williams looks promising, but again...rookie :?: Overall I think the "D" will be better than last year.

Offense, two main :?: Boldin leaving leaves a bit of a hole. He's a hybrid, bigger/stronger than your average receiver, smaller/faster than your average tight end. I think they'll slot Pitta a lot. He can make all the catches Boldin can, just won't be able to get the same YAC's. And center is the other :?: With Matt Birk retiring that leaves Flacco a "new" center to get a feel for, could be issues there? As far as Vonte Leach goes, he was overpaid for his usage. Since the Ravens now are a pass oriented team and as likely to throw on first and/or second down as they are to run, he wasn't worth the $3 mil price tag. He'll be a GREAT fit for a ground-n-pound team that uses the run to set up the occasional pass.

If all goes well, and they stay healthy...they SHOULD be in the Playoff hunt. Now, do I think they'll repeat? No, but...that's just playin' the percentages. Only a handful(or so) of teams have done it. I think they had their best chance the last two years for that...but, they beat themselves in '11-'12. I think they woulda' matched up well with the Giants. 8-)
Image Image
...is that a breadstick or are you just happy to see me?
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:44 am

rulez i know for me, i try to keep track of a few teams for a couple weeks after the season, and the last i heard of the ravens was losing a couple guys and giving flaco that big contract and for a few days after the contract, i just remember the nfl network criticizing the ravens, it usually takes me all of training camp to get up to speed. from reading what ya wrote you seem confident on the additions, so that should be interesting, i think the steelers are going to struggle, i dont know how many more hits ben can take before he falls apart, and cincy, well they are never a consistent team, so g'luck!
<<

HTower

Post Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:52 pm

smoke14rulez wrote:
HTower wrote:
michaeljohn wrote:Do the raven have what it takes to repeat?

I don't think they have a chance, so many players took free agent contracts and Flacco got a huge payout.

You must not pay too much attention to the Ravens then.

I freely admit that I don't follow the Ravens. I didn't hear about the pick ups they made, only about the large number of free agents that they lost who got huge contracts elsewhere. National media made it sound like a mass exodus of talent and put them out of the playoffs for next year.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:56 pm

that is what i more less heard tower on espn and nfl network
<<

GrizzlyBearBob

Post Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:32 pm

michaeljohn wrote:Hi Grizzly! glad to have you here, im a life long Viking fan, so maybe we can have some fun this year.

how did you feel about Urlacher bein cut? there was a long talk about MN picking him up, but never did obviously. He was the heart of the bears, even if he wasnt at his best, anytime he played made their chances better to win.

Hey Rachel, so its the packers for ya? thats cool, they are a really good team, if things stay like they did last year, it will be a tough division especially if all 3 break 10 win season ......

Hi Michaeljohn, Urlacher was a fan favorite and a favorite of mine. I think the Bears should of offered Mr. Urlacher something to have him return for a final season. If he would only be used on third downs that would be a big thank you for a great player from the team that drafted him. If he did not produce in that role the Bears would look like a team that is loyal to it's players. Truthfully it would be hard seeing Urlacher in a Vikings uniform like it was tough seeing Jim McMahon playing for Green Bay back in the late 80's. Good luck to your Vikings, they should be a much improved team!
Thanks be to God for our blessings!
<<

Rachael J

Post Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:03 pm

michaeljohn wrote:Hi Grizzly! glad to have you here, im a life long Viking fan, so maybe we can have some fun this year.

how did you feel about Urlacher bein cut? there was a long talk about MN picking him up, but never did obviously. He was the heart of the bears, even if he wasnt at his best, anytime he played made their chances better to win.

Hey Rachel, so its the packers for ya? thats cool, they are a really good team, if things stay like they did last year, it will be a tough division especially if all 3 break 10 win season ......

Yea! Really looking forward to this season! Aaron Rodgers is one of the best QBs out there right now! Or at least I think so!
My Favorite Drivers Dale Earnhardt Jr., Tony Stewart, Jimmie Johnson, Jeff Gordon, Kasey Kahne
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:57 am

hey Grizzly.... it would have been nice if they gave him that contract, from what i understood he wasnt asking for much, it is rare in these times that a player stays with one team, i respect him for that, and his play too, when he was on, he was a beast..

good luck to the bears as well!
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:01 am

what can i say rachel, rodgers is at the top of his game, definitely a top 3 in the league..... for years i was a farve fan, so it was weird bein a viking fan but brett bein my fav player, i wont lie when he came to the vikes and had that great year, it was probably my fav year ever of watching fball.

i do find it funny how gregg jennings singed with minnesota, because he hates the cold, they forgot to tell him after this year he will be playing outside until the new stadium is built, hahaha
<<

HTower

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:52 am

michaeljohn wrote:hey Grizzly.... it would have been nice if they gave him that contract, from what i understood he wasnt asking for much, it is rare in these times that a player stays with one team, i respect him for that, and his play too, when he was on, he was a beast..

good luck to the bears as well!

Urlacher wanted 11.5 million for 2 years. Which would have put him in the top 10-12 linebackers in the league. This for a guy who is clearly past his prime, and injury prone. For the right money I would have loved to have kept him, but these things don't always work out, and the NFL is a business, yada, yada, yada. On to the next.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:56 am

well he was talking about stayin for 2 mil, thats what i heard on NFL network so everything is news to me
<<

HTower

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:14 am

michaeljohn wrote:well he was talking about stayin for 2 mil, thats what i heard on NFL network so everything is news to me

That's what the Bears offered, he chose retirement instead
According to the report, the Bears offered Urlacher, who earned $8 million in 2012, a one-year contract worth $2 million, with only $1 million in guaranteed money. Urlacher's camp had been seeking a two-year contract worth $11.5 million

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... --nfl.html
<<

Rachael J

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:48 pm

michaeljohn wrote:what can i say rachel, rodgers is at the top of his game, definitely a top 3 in the league..... for years i was a farve fan, so it was weird bein a viking fan but brett bein my fav player, i wont lie when he came to the vikes and had that great year, it was probably my fav year ever of watching fball.

i do find it funny how gregg jennings singed with minnesota, because he hates the cold, they forgot to tell him after this year he will be playing outside until the new stadium is built, hahaha

Yeah, Farve was one of the greats. I have to admit, I enjoyed that season too with the Vikings!

Yes, that is quite funny!! :lol:

Preseason is getting close! Can't wait!
Last edited by Rachael J on Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Favorite Drivers Dale Earnhardt Jr., Tony Stewart, Jimmie Johnson, Jeff Gordon, Kasey Kahne
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:01 am

as i tell some of my friends here who are bear fans, we are mortal enemies the day of the game, but after we can laff it up, i dont mind who wins the north just as long as they can take the superbowl, because it legitimizes our division.....
<<

HTower

Post Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:23 am

as i tell some of my friends here who are vikings/lions fans, we are mortal enemies the day of the game, but after we can laff it up, i dont mind who wins the north just as long as it isn't the Packers.
<<

Rachael J

Post Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:32 am

HTower wrote:
as i tell some of my friends here who are vikings/lions fans, we are mortal enemies the day of the game, but after we can laff it up, i dont mind who wins the north just as long as it isn't the Packers.

Don't make this Packer fan angry now!
PreviousNext

Return to The Lobby