TONY AND HIS RACE TEAM.........

I found this on ESPN .........good interview by Nicole Briscoe

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

pooh219

Post Thu May 09, 2013 5:53 am

Re: TONY AND HIS RACE TEAM.........

Nice interview. Thanks for posting. I guess I need more patience in wanting to see SHR do better. If Tony is a believer, I need to be a believer too. 13 is an unlucky number so I know 2014 will be the #14 's year!!!
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Thu May 09, 2013 7:29 am

GREAT INTERVIEW! Thanks for posting it, Annalee! :D

Listening to Tony just talk about their struggles and hearing the confidence he has in his team, makes me feel better. Next time I get "down" about a poor performance, I'll have to come back and watch this video again to get pumped back up. :D
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

housesandhogans

Post Thu May 09, 2013 8:23 am

It was a good interview. And I liked that he seemed to be very practical about things and that he came across as yes, I know we're in a hole we have to climb out of. He didn't seem to be giving the usual whitewash that so often any and all teams/drivers/owners do just to keep their "game face" on.

But, what I don't understand is............why can't they figure it out? I don't truly think you can blame it on one person, like so many want to say that Steve Addington should be replaced. None of the teams seem to be doing very well. So, what is going on at SHR that is keeping them from "figuring it out"? I think that phrase only holds water for so long. Kurt Bush's team is a single car team, and they seem to be figuring it out. Don't mean to sound like I'm bashing SHR, I'm not. And I'm kind of getting over a fan's frustration about not winning every race...........we know he'll be there for all the races, whether he's in the chase or not. So, we'll get to see him race. So, now, am just stepping back, observing and wondering.........what is the problem or what is going on there that is keeping them from just doing better?
<<

Banjo14

Post Thu May 09, 2013 10:03 am

Yeah, some of Tony's best tracks are coming up; and yeah, the weather is heating up; but daaang, maybe it's time to call 1-800-WTFChevy? I can't believe Zippy is this far behind everybody else, but SHR is getting lapped at the mile-and-a-halfs. Is it a coincidence that Borland's cars are the stable's best? Chevy needs to lend a hand; they're invested in this operation and need for SHR to excel. The clock is tickin'.
GO LIKE STINK, SHR!
<<

ndunn

Post Thu May 09, 2013 2:06 pm

This was a great interview from Tony. I liked the remarks he put out there from what Roush said about the Honeymoon period. He is so right and perhaps getting the championship when they did sort of kept them from looking ahead. Everyone at SHR is way too experienced to give up. They will catch up and things will be fine.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

eve

Post Thu May 09, 2013 3:44 pm

This was a good interview. Tony seems positive and seems to be leaning on Zippy to get things turned around. I still think they need to attend HMS competition meetings again, if they haven't started that yet. If Denny can make the chase, so can Tony. He won the championship in 2011 without winning a single race during the regular season. He needs to win a few races and start finishing in the top 5 or 10 to get back in the hunt. If I know Tony, that's what he's aiming for and he always gets what he aims for.
<<

TishR

Post Thu May 09, 2013 8:47 pm

I did pickup on one thing he said. That the problem at least with his car is trying to figure out what the car wants for "his" driving style. I also noticed it sounded like an interesting competition meeting that they had Monday and mostly what I heard was "Zippy".
Tish
<<

Annalee

Post Thu May 09, 2013 9:48 pm

I was so hoping that the interview would lift some of your spirits....... :) it did mine..... Tony compares the problem facing his race team and the Gen6 car and trying to figure it out, to his accomplishment in winning in 2011. I find that so interesting, in that we all know that was the most incredible race accomplishment EVER........I am very much like NDunn, when I get down, I pullout that 2011 Homestead race tape and it all goes away! If he can do that he can do anything! Sometimes people say it is because of Darian...........Darian was a little part of the picture, but Tony willed himself that Championship, with his talent, attitude and maybe a little help from above.... ;) ;) They will fix this problem and we might be surprised at the fix! ;) :)

As much as I like Dr Who and his talent......I think they are trying to work this problem with springs, shocks and spacers. But if they would have listened to Harvick at Richmond in the winner's circle....... They found something with going 11 rounds down on the track bar........wonder if they have tried that......hmmmmm mm, Interesting!
"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

housesandhogans

Post Thu May 09, 2013 10:21 pm

TishR wrote:I did pickup on one thing he said. That the problem at least with his car is trying to figure out what the car wants for "his" driving style. I also noticed it sounded like an interesting competition meeting that they had Monday and mostly what I heard was "Zippy".

Yes, he mentioned Zippy several times as if maybe even he and Zippy had conversations outside of the meeting. And you're right, he also mentioned "his" driving style a couple of times. And, did you notice that he said he thought they all had their heads facing the "same" direction rather than the usual "right" direction. I still don't think he's trying to replace Addington, but maybe pushing Zippy to work more closely with Steve to get the car more to Tony's liking. Of course I really have no idea and probably just pushing my own thought process onto what might have been talked about. Probably reading way more into the interview than is really there. One can only hope for the best.
<<

ndunn

Post Thu May 09, 2013 11:04 pm

Annalee wrote:I was so hoping that the interview would lift some of your spirits....... :) it did mine..... Tony compares the problem facing his race team and the Gen6 car and trying to figure it out, to his accomplishment in winning in 2011. I find that so interesting, in that we all know that was the most incredible race accomplishment EVER........I am very much like NDunn, when I get down, I pullout that 2011 Homestead race tape and it all goes away! If he can do that he can do anything! Sometimes people say it is because of Darian...........Darian was a little part of the picture, but Tony willed himself that Championship, with his talent, attitude and maybe a little help from above.... ;) ;) They will fix this problem and we might be surprised at the fix! ;) :)

As much as I like Dr Who and his talent......I think they are trying to work this problem with springs, shocks and spacers. But if they would have listened to Harvick at Richmond in the winner's circle....... They found something with going 11 rounds down on the track bar........wonder if they have tried that......hmmmmm mm, Interesting!

I'm glad to know I'm not alone in bringing my morale up by watching the Homestead race Annalee. It's always new to me as I see different things and keep saying "Tony don't give up" and we know he didn't. Darian, the crew and so on did their share but I'm with those who believe Tony did will himself to win that race. The entire chase was magic. NASCAR couldn't have asked for a better end to 2011. It wasn't in the books until the last lap was over. I've always felt that Carl took that loss with grace as he busted his rear end for that championship also.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Fri May 10, 2013 6:36 pm

It's reassuring to hear him say that and exhibit that confidence. Of course Frick and Frack are gonna say something like "What else would he have said" but that's just what they do.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

HRR

Post Sat May 11, 2013 2:19 pm

Most of the Hendrick cars are doing much better than SHR's .. leads me to believe that Grubb's affiliation with Hendrick's Engineering core.. is what is lacking... That is the first thing that I am looking at...

Second.. adding Danica to the fray.. was a bad idea.. they are poring too much of the teams assets to that team.. not good. If SHR does not turn this around.. say good bye to the sponsors.. that will be the first hit to this team. Mobil 1 could drop Tony, and Bass Pro.. who knows.. could not come back. Danica needs to go.. that is a must.. Same with Newman.. Tony needs to keep this a two car team.. too many hens in the hen house.. Why is it that almost all the other big teams have this car figure out.. and SHR.. is lagging behind like they are like FRM? Umm makes you think.. it comes down to the competition director not doing what needs to be done to fix the problem.
<<

housesandhogans

Post Sat May 11, 2013 7:46 pm

HRR wrote:Most of the Hendrick cars are doing much better than SHR's .. leads me to believe that Grubb's affiliation with Hendrick's Engineering core.. is what is lacking... That is the first thing that I am looking at...

Second.. adding Danica to the fray.. was a bad idea.. they are poring too much of the teams assets to that team.. not good. If SHR does not turn this around.. say good bye to the sponsors.. that will be the first hit to this team. Mobil 1 could drop Tony, and Bass Pro.. who knows.. could not come back. Danica needs to go.. that is a must.. Same with Newman.. Tony needs to keep this a two car team.. too many hens in the hen house.. Why is it that almost all the other big teams have this car figure out.. and SHR.. is lagging behind like they are like FRM? Umm makes you think.. it comes down to the competition director not doing what needs to be done to fix the problem.

Darien Grubb may be the lost connection, but even if SHR wanted him back, I wouldn't think he would even consider it, the weird way things went down in 2011. So am thinking everyone needs to get over losing him.

And maybe adding the 3rd team is an issue this year. But, if Tony's ultimate business goal is to have a 4 team operation.............then they may have to have a down year to get it all in place. I do agree that a lot of focus is on Danica..........but, is that the media or does SHR really spend that much extra time/money on her? I'm not there, I don't know. And wouldn't helping her also help Tony and Ryan in the long run?

And, even though everyone thinks he should dump Steve Addington, I'm thinking its as much the competition director's fault as anyone's. Isn't his job to help all their teams get better??? The talking heads before the race today said that they wouldn't be surprised to see a shakeup there. I don't know.............maybe if all of them brought their best game to work every day, maybe the cars/engines would be bette when they got to the track. I'm just sayin'

So far today, he's not doing too bad...........so hopefully this will be the breakthrough!
<<

NASCARNan

Post Sun May 12, 2013 4:33 pm

Finally watched this; thanks for posting!
NASCAR Nan
Next

Return to Tony