FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Harvick #4

<<

Smoke_14

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:04 pm

Harvick #4

SHR filled for a trademark regarding the #4 for Harvick next year. Some thought he would use the #8 as that was Happy's number when he first started racing. Can you imagine the backlash from Jr Nation if he did use the 8, since Budweiser will be moving with Harvick over to SHR in 2014.
Leave the Ears On the Dog
<<

ndunn

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: Harvick #4

Smoke_14 wrote:SHR filled for a trademark regarding the #4 for Harvick next year. Some thought he would use the #8 as that was Happy's number when he first started racing. Can you imagine the backlash from Jr Nation if he did use the 8, since Budweiser will be moving with Harvick over to SHR in 2014.

I doubt if Earnhardt Racing would give up the 8 if they still have it. I would think at this point this is a totally new start for Kevin. His first entry into Cup was a replacement and it would be a tough for anyone. He took alot of crap over it and continued flap about not living up to Dale Sr. I think he did it with grace and now it's time for his career to shine.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Rochelle

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:24 pm

As far as the #4 goes, that was the number Tony wanted for Ryan but didn't want to rustle feathers at the time. Since it hasn't been used, he obviously feels it's a good time. The number 8 is available, it belongs to NASCAR as do all numbers. I think the criteria is that's it's eligible for use if it hasn't been run in a season. Tony wanted 4 and 14 at the beginning and now he has that. With the bad luck Ryan's had, I sometimes wonder if it's the number. And yes, I'm superstitious :mrgreen:
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

dirt93

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:31 pm

I like the number 4 better than 8 anyway..... :D
Here kitty kitty.. come get you some of this!!
<<

Annalee

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:43 pm

Rochelle wrote:As far as the #4 goes, that was the number Tony wanted for Ryan but didn't want to rustle feathers at the time. Since it hasn't been used, he obviously feels it's a good time. The number 8 is available, it belongs to NASCAR as do all numbers. I think the criteria is that's it's eligible for use if it hasn't been run in a season. Tony wanted 4 and 14 at the beginning and now he has that. With the bad luck Ryan's had, I sometimes wonder if it's the number. And yes, I'm superstitious :mrgreen:

Kinda like the #25 at Hendricks........I'm superstitious too! ;)
"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

ndunn

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:49 pm

Rochelle wrote:As far as the #4 goes, that was the number Tony wanted for Ryan but didn't want to rustle feathers at the time. Since it hasn't been used, he obviously feels it's a good time. The number 8 is available, it belongs to NASCAR as do all numbers. I think the criteria is that's it's eligible for use if it hasn't been run in a season. Tony wanted 4 and 14 at the beginning and now he has that. With the bad luck Ryan's had, I sometimes wonder if it's the number. And yes, I'm superstitious :mrgreen:

If Teresa didn't use the number 8 it's a shame she didn't let Dale take it to Hendricks. If they can only keep the number a year without use how is it Childress kept #3 out of use for several years.?
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:59 pm

ndunn wrote:

If Teresa didn't use the number 8 it's a shame she didn't let Dale take it to Hendricks. If they can only keep the number a year without use how is it Childress kept #3 out of use for several years.?

Teresa did use the #8 the whole time they were DEI. When they merged into EGR & they eliminated 2 teams the #8 team was one of them eliminated. She had sponsors connected to the #8 at the time.

As far as the #3 technically anyone could go ask for that # right now. I think no one does out of respect. (from the bigger teams) & who wants that drama being the 1st team to take the # if your a smaller team. Besides another thing nascar often does is go to the last team that had the # if someone requests & tells them someone requesting the # & kinda gives 1st dibs to to the old team to claim the # & use it. if they decline they give it to the requesting team. That part isn't part of the rules just something that happens at times. Morgan McClure didn't have any rights to the #4 team when Tony asked for it when SHR was starting, & they were made aware of it & got upset even though they weren't planning on racing that year. Tony bowed out just to not create drama, but he could have taken it if he wanted. Richard Petty Motorsports raced a year with the #43 after he retired, but changed their car # back to the 43 so some other team couldn't take the # from them. Honestly I think no one uses the # out of respect or not wanting to deal with the hoopla that would come from taking the #. That & I believe they would inform RCR & they would simply start using the # again so why bother trying to take it.
ImageImageImage
<<

wolfgang

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:03 pm

Last i heard from the Harvick camp is Kevin was bringing Budwiser,Jimmy Johns and the #29 with him to SHR.There is a sudden change it must be a Tony decision,however,i don't think Kevin would want anything to do with the #8 as he has been in the shadows of Dale Snr.long enough w/o taking #8 on top of everything else.The #3 RCR will bring back again for the grandson,which btw i'm totally against him or anyone else for that matter,including Jr.running that # again! :evil: There is NO ONE in Nascar today deserves to carry the #3,they just aren't that good! :mrgreen: Jeff Burton refused to drive the #3 even if they changed the # which they did to #29 because of the pressure he'd feel taking over that ride.Harvick was willing,but RCR has been on a down slope since the mid 90's and i hope HMS equiptment at SHR is the answer for Kevin and i wish Ryan stays and Danica gone! 8-)
Other than that,i don't care what # Kevin runs,long as he does better than he has at RCR all these years with all Richards false promises! :twisted:
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:31 pm

8-) 8-) 39 IS "13" three times :shock: :shock:
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

beaverpond

Post Wed May 01, 2013 1:08 am

So if Tony didn't want to create waves, and I may be missing something here, who owned the Red Bull Racing Team cars when it was Vickers and Kayne driving them and one of them was the #4 for a year before Kayne went to Hendrick.

Here is another school of thought. Is it possible that Tony wanted the #4 to go with all those times he drove the #4 Nationwide car to Victory Lane in Daytona while doing this for Harvick. Now I realize that Tony might have wanted the #4 way back when, but now he is just more motivated for it.

Just something to think about.
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Wed May 01, 2013 1:16 am

beaverpond wrote:So if Tony didn't want to create waves, and I may be missing something here, who owned the Red Bull Racing Team cars when it was Vickers and Kayne driving them and one of them was the #4 for a year before Kayne went to Hendrick.

Here is another school of thought. Is it possible that Tony wanted the #4 to go with all those times he drove the #4 Nationwide car to Victory Lane in Daytona while doing this for Harvick. Now I realize that Tony might have wanted the #4 way back when, but now he is just more motivated for it.

Just something to think about.

MMM didn't make a stink & knew they were done as a team when Red Bull went & got the #4. (& now red bull is done) So there was no one to be upset with Tony taking the #4 this time around, So he doesn't need to be more motivated to get it. he merely had to ask for it.
ImageImageImage
<<

jsw14

Post Wed May 01, 2013 7:22 pm

Hmmm, the #4? Thats too bad. I would like to see Harvick in the "#00". Buckshot Jones's Old # :) That way Harvick can be armed with a Double-Barrel Shot-Gun in the rear bumper. All he has to do is push a button & shoot the radiator out if a car behind him on the last lap of the race :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Don't ya Love the Old "007" movies........ 8-) 8-)
BS & Brilliance only come with Age & Experience!!
Image "Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012
Image "STAND UP FOR TONY & SHR"
<<

Smoke_14

Post Wed May 01, 2013 9:24 pm

The deal with the #4 was that Morgan McLure threatened to get back into the sport if SHR used the number. When Ryan came on board, he wanted the 39 so that is what it became. If Tony really wanted the 4 then he would have gotten it. McLure wasn't about to field a team, let alone make the 500. Tony just gave up on it because Ryan wanted something different.

Kevin has used the 4 in his own KHI cars and was a number he used early in his career.

In regards to the 3, people need to seriously let that go. First off that number is Richards, not Earnhardt. Richard has used it since 1969 and it was in honor of Junior Johnson.
<<

ndunn

Post Thu May 02, 2013 11:44 am

I'm sure anyone can go after any number they want but getting it is another thing. I don't believe anyone thought Earnhardt Racing ever had the #3. Dale Sr. drove that number and if I have my facts in order Childress put that number on a truck for the grandsons and then on a Nationwide car for them also. Now if I'm wrong I have no doubt someone will jump right in to tell me I'm wrong. Speaking of #'s does anyone know what happened to Adam Petty's number? Didn't Kyle drive his car for awhile? I've often wondered what happened to that number.

<<

Smoke_14

Post Fri May 03, 2013 3:50 pm

Childress was going to keep using the 3 when Jeff Burton took over. It was the same thinking when Richard got out of the 43. They used 44 in 1993 but went back to the 43 in 1994 and have used the 43 ever since. To me it's just a number, and nobody will forget that Earnhardt drove a 3. If Childress wants to have Austin, who has typically used the number more then Ty run the 3, then let him run the 3. Some people, not saying on here, act like that is all Earnhardt drove. He drove many numbers, but he had most of his success in that #3.

Ask yourself this, would it be odd to see someone else drive a #24 or #48 when Gordon and Johnson retire. They are and will forever be legends of the sport. But one day they will not drive, and one day someone will want to use that number. Possibly as soon as they retire, or possibly years go by before anyone wants it. Whoever gets in that 24 or 48 car will not diminish what Jeff or Jimmie did, nor will it make people forget who drove that car. In fact I believe it makes you think of Earnhardt more when you see Austin wheeling it around the track.

To me, it's just a number. I know the man died racing that number, but it doesn't take away from who Dale was when I see someone else use it. Like I stated earlier, Dale only used that 3 because it was the number Childress had always used. He used it to honor Junior Johnson, specifically Junior's 1963 season when he took a Ray Fox prepared Chevy and whipped Ford Motor Company's behind. The 3 was really Ray Fox's number. So in an odd way, Austin is honoring all of those great men and legends of the sport. That's what I think of when I see the #3 on the track. And to me that is a good thing, not a bad thing.
Next

Return to NASCAR & Racing