FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Why Was Tony in the car during the pre race??

<<

Fear the Redhead

Post Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:01 pm

Why Was Tony in the car during the pre race??

Dies anyone know why Tony was in the car during the National Anthem and rest of pre-race???
;)
<<

Smoke_14

Post Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:52 pm

Re: Why Was Tony in the car during the pre race??

IDK. I've seen a pic and it def was him in the car during the invocation and the anthem. Can't say I've ever seen that before. He seemed to be in good spirits before the race joking around with Danica, so I don't know what that was all about.
Leave the Ears On the Dog
<<

Fear the Redhead

Post Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:45 pm

It certainly was different....I am thinking that he knew what kind of car he had and was just dreading the race, just a thought, or perhaps he really wasn't feeling well, it was just so unusual.. Oh well on to Richmond.
[Women who behave rarely make history]
<<

Annalee

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:42 pm

Maybe he was in the car because he didn't want to answer questions on why SHR wasn't running well......
Image"Fight for Four".......................me

"Take this as your warning: I gave you guys 14 weeks without me. I'll be back and ready at Daytona to kick your #### again," Smoke
<<

eve

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:28 pm

You know, the cameras are always on him during pre-race activities. We all want to know if he has someone with him, I guess the media does too. Maybe he just didn't want a camera in his face and wanted some time to think about the race. You know, just get his head together. He has been under so much stress over this season because of the lack of performance. I'm not saying he was hiding, not at all, Tony doesn't hide. He may have just needed some privacy, lord knows he doesn't get much of that.
<<

Fear the Redhead

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:25 pm

so True, even at the dirt track as i was taking pics of him, I felt so bad that he couldn't even eat a piece of pizza without being bothered, I understand that is the price of fame, but I don't think fame matters, racing does, winning and helping people does, but I can't help but think that he would like to just live a normal life some of the time. Just an old Grannie's opinion.....
<<

Smoke_14

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:36 pm

I'm not sure why I keep hearing and reading about Tony being under so much stress. I don't mean to call anyone out on it, but none of us know him personally. I'm sure he is disappointed how the season has started off, but I wouldn't be quick to judge someones personality when I don't even know the guy. I guess we can assume he is under a bunch of stress, but to me I highly doubt it. It's like when Noel Gallagher of Oasis (now High Flying Birds) was asked if he was worried about the bands low album sales one year. He responded in the best way possible. And the most honest. He said yes, I do worry about it. I worry about it when I'm driving in my million dollar car. When I'm asleep in my multimillion dollar mansion. I'm so stressed I couldn't even finish my steak on my private jet.

To sum it up, I think Tony's mental state is fine. I think he is doing what he can to turn things around, but I think overall he is doing what he says he does best, stay out of it and let people do their jobs. If he feels a change needs to be made, he will change it. But I think to read over and over again on here about the mans mental health is a bit too much for me.
<<

eve

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:08 pm

I may not know him personally, but I know the signs of stress when I see it. When the rumor that he may leave Gibbs to start his own team leaked out, you could see it in his eyes. You could hear it in his voice and see it in his body language. It's the same now. When he's bothered by something, his eyes get puffy, like he's not sleeping, he avoids the press, stays to himself, gets grumpy.

All the signs are there. If something doesn't give soon, somebody's head is going to get bit off. We may hear it on the radio, we got a preview of at Texas-that was mild. I'm talking a full blown Tony rant, like before. Maybe that's what he needs to do to clear the air and jump start things.

BUT, if he would go home for a couple of days to decompress, maybe he could avoid that. All I'm saying is that I'm concerned for him, all of this pressure isn't good for him. It wouldn't be good for anyone.
<<

housesandhogans

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:16 pm

I guess, too, that I know I would be and probably a lot of other people would be, feeling stressed. And we assume that he is just a little like us (because we are all human). People who accomplish what he has, are generally more driven than the rest of us and they don't get where they are just by lollygagging around. And, sometimes they do their best work when they are under stress. I guess we'll see.
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:43 am

MAYBE......juuuuuuuuust MAYBE, he's feelin' all this extra curricular activity and doesn't want everyone to know?? :shock: ;)
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:57 am

Tonight is the Denny Hamlin charity race event at Charlotte.

Saturday is the Newman's charity fishing tournament.

1st week of May one day last year Tony was racing in a race at Eldora on a Fri & Sat night.

Tony has the stress of Danica this year (as in any owner would have if he had her or any other driver that's new full time), driving & attitude.

Stress of wondering if Newman will resign.

I just wonder if he's not sorry he let Darian go now.
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

Fear the Redhead

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:46 pm

I certainly don't claim to know anything about his stress level or his mental state. I am simply a fan who can see that something is very VERY wrong. Do I worry about my favorite driver, yes I do, that doesn't mean that think I know what he needs or how he feels. I can only say what I have seen when I have been at tracks watching him being mobbed and just feeling sorry that he is having such a rough year. And as stated by others, he is one busy man and not a kid anymore. I just hope that the season turns around for him. I am married to a Gordon fan so you can imagine the fun at our house right?? anyway, I am headed to Richmond with a few $2 bills for luck. Maybe this is the week that things start going right!!! :P
<<

Smoke_14

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:01 pm

Smoke14Wins wrote:Tonight is the Denny Hamlin charity race event at Charlotte.

Saturday is the Newman's charity fishing tournament.

1st week of May one day last year Tony was racing in a race at Eldora on a Fri & Sat night.

Tony has the stress of Danica this year (as in any owner would have if he had her or any other driver that's new full time), driving & attitude.

Stress of wondering if Newman will resign.

I just wonder if he's not sorry he let Darian go now.

DH Charity race is certainly a stress reliever for him. He has said so multiple times. Same with his dirt racing. And you don't think a fishing event is relaxing for him?

OK, maybe Danica has given him some stress, but I'm quite confident (about 99.9%) from what I am hearing from multiple people that Newman will not return. And to be honest, that will result in less stress for Tony since he no longer will have to worry about finding sponsorship for Ryan, as Harvick is bringing over many, if not all of his sponsors next year. And I might catch some heat for this, but I think Harvick is an upgrade over Ryan anyway.

No I don't think he is regretting letting Darian go. Him and Darian were not exactly getting along, nor were they on the same page much of the 2011 season. In fact, many on this site were calling for Darian to be fired that year anyway. It's not like Tony just decided one day out of the blue to let him go. That was building for quite awhile. I'm sorry to be so honest, but maybe you have been listening to Larry Mac too long regarding the Grubb decision.
<<

dirt93

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:47 pm

I didn't care for the Smoke/Grubb combo. They didn't win a race till the chase in 2011. Tony will find a CC that suits his personality and has a handle on the gen 6 car. It will just take some time. I thought Steve would have been better this year though...
Here kitty kitty.. come get you some of this!!

Return to Tony