FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

NOT EVEN Stewart can do it all by himself ..........

<<

Annalee

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:15 pm

NOT EVEN Stewart can do it all by himself ..........

Great Article........HOPE IT WAKES UP THE SHR TEAM........

Three-time champ at the forefront of Stewart-Haas Racing struggles

Tony Stewart finished third a year ago at Richmond International Raceway, extending a string of solid efforts that dated back to his epic championship run the season before. Fresh off his first title, he was showing early-season strength unusual for a driver whose best didn’t typically kick in until the summer and fall. With two victories already, his berth in the Chase for the Sprint Cup was effectively secured. After leading 118 laps on the Virginia short track, there seemed the potential for many more to come.

What a contrast that time feels like to now, when Stewart limps back to Richmond in the midst of the worst start of his proud and illustrious career. It has become painful to watch, a driver of Stewart’s caliber riding around every week in the middle of the pack. His 21st-place finish at Kansas continued a five-week slog since Stewart’s last competitive run, 11th at Las Vegas. He’s 21st in the standings, the lowest he has ever been through eight races, and his slowest start since he was 14th at this point in 2005.
Of course, Stewart rebounded to win his second premier-series championship that year, when he used a furious summertime spurt to effectively distance himself from the field. Is he capable of that this season? It’s the same driver behind the wheel, so it would be foolish to sell Smoke short. But eight years ago, an early engine failure played a key role in his slow start. This time around, a wreck at Daytona -- where he seemed the man to beat entering the 500 -- certainly hasn’t helped. But the more this year goes on, the more it seems something else is

Because it’s not just Stewart -- it’s all of Stewart-Haas Racing that appears to be behind in its development of the new Generation-6 car that debuted on the Sprint Cup tour this season. SHR may get its chassis from Hendrick Motorsports, but it’s still ultimately up to SHR personnel to prepare and tune the vehicles. And judging from the results turned in by Stewart, Ryan Newman and Danica Patrick much of this season, the entire organization seems to be searching.

No question, the implementation of a new car with a completely redesigned body style and increased mechanical grip presented a challenge for every team in NASCAR’s top series, and entering the season there seemed to be a consensus -- whoever hit on something quickest would have an advantage. Look at the start Joe Gibbs Racing is off to, particularly on intermediate tracks, and it’s easy to believe that’s the case. But eight races in, equally as important seems to be what teams have missed it, or at least struggled to adapt as quickly.

SHR is clearly foremost among that group, but it’s not alone there. Richard Childress Racing has endured its growing pains with the new car, and although RCR hasn’t really been a threat to win a race, Paul Menard and Kevin Harvick each seem to have found a degree of consistency that’s keeping them at least on the fringes of Chase contention. There’s plenty of work still to be done, of course, but last week at Kansas -- where Menard was 10th and Harvick 12th -- could be viewed as forward progress.

Harvick’s future car owner, meanwhile, was back there with Regan Smith and David Gilliland, drivers at a vast disadvantage to Stewart in terms of money and manpower. We’re not exactly early in the season, either -- it’s nearly May, long enough for teams to determine the difference between bad luck and something more systemic. Other drivers who have endured poor starts, like Jeff Gordon and Martin Truex Jr., have been able to hang their helmets on runs that represent what they might be capable of. For Stewart, every week now is a grind.

Given how beloved Stewart is by much of the fan base, and how much more interesting things are when he’s in contention -- who can forget the “he’s not going to sleep for three weeks” challenge to Carl Edwards two years ago? -- none of this is good news. But it might have been predictable, given that this year SHR as an organization is clearly in flux, with one driver coming in, another potentially going out, and plenty of infrastructure shuffles needed to accommodate both of them.

Never has Stewart carried more on his shoulders, given that Patrick is a work in progress, and Newman is in the midst of a one-year deal. No question, it seemed necessary to pair Patrick with crew chief Tony Gibson and what used to be the No. 39 crew, given how well the personalities involved meshed together, and how much a rookie driver needed a veteran on the pit box. But Patrick’s development is ongoing, and despite runs like those at Daytona and Martinsville, she isn’t going to transform into a Chase contender overnight.

In short, you have a lot of resources dedicated to a longer-term goal, and any immediate success is a bonus. And then there’s Newman, who doesn’t have the likes of a GoDaddy -- SHR’s biggest sponsor at the moment -- behind him, and signed a one-year extension with Harvick ostensibly waiting in the wings. Stewart and his management team have done a fine job cobbling together a sponsorship package for the No. 39 car, but at the start of the season Newman’s crew was still a relatively new group, and crew chief Matt Borland hadn’t worked a full campaign in seven years.

Given all that, Newman’s 17th-place position in the points -- and top-10 finishes in two of his last three races -- is probably more impressive than it gets credit for. Particularly in light of the struggles endured so far this season by Stewart, whose No. 14 team entered the year as the one ready-made title contender in the SHR stable. Yes, the cars have been a work in progress. Perhaps it shouldn’t be surprising that a rookie driver, or even a more experienced one with a relatively green crew, would wrestle with them. But a three-time champion who seems capable of winning in any kind of vehicle on the planet? That’s something very different.

Granted, there’s a lot of season to go. Of Stewart’s 47 victories at the premier level, only four have come before May. His strength is the summer, when tracks get hot and slick, and all that car control honed in his sprint-car days comes into play. Earlier this year at Las Vegas, Stewart started with a car that was wrecking loose and wrung an 11th-place finish out of it, in as vivid a display of his driving prowess as we’ve seen all season. The dude can still wheel it. Underestimate him at your own risk.

But as recent weeks have shown, not even a driver of Stewart’s caliber can do it all by himself. Eventually the cars have to get better, and the team has to progress from scrambling to building. Richmond, a track where Stewart has won three times and is riding a streak of four consecutive top-10 finishes, seems as good a place as any to begin a turnaround. But it would still be quite a surprise to see him lead 118 laps and finish third Saturday night, even if it all seemed so natural just a year ago.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

eve

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:08 pm

Re: NOT EVEN Stewart can do it all by himself ..........

If I am reading between the lines correctly, whoever wrote this article is saying that there needs to be a personnel shake-up at SHR. It should also be mandatory for Zippy, Steve, Matt and Tony G to attend the competition meetings at HMS. Tony may want to attend at the beginning, but that is why he has Zippy. Tony has many businesses but does not have to micro-manage them because of the following statement "Hire the correct people for the correct positions and let them do their jobs."

Zippy needs to find something else for Steve to do. The chemistry is just not there between Steve and Tony. We know that there is chemistry between Zippy and Tony - they won 2 championships together. I'm not suggesting that Zippy take the crew chief position permanently, just until a replacement for Steve can be found.

I hate it when a journalist comes to the same conclusion as Tony's fans do. It either makes us look really smart or the writer really intuitive.
<<

HTower

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:36 pm

eve wrote:If I am reading between the lines correctly, whoever wrote this article is saying that there needs to be a personnel shake-up at SHR.

I read the article as saying there has been too much shakeup already within the personnel.
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:26 pm

Funny whenever they are talking of SHR. They always have a picture of Tony & Danica. Like Ryan doesn't exist. That's next year he doesn't exist. he is SHR right now! :mrgreen:
ImageImageImage
<<

Annalee

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:48 pm

I didn't copy the pictures with the article, but there was one of Ryan....... :) I'll see if I can find it.Image

I #Support Smoke
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:13 pm

ryan is SHR, facts show it, tony is too busy babysitting danica thats why he is in no mans land :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

Rochelle

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:58 pm

I'm beginning to agree with those that say it may have been a mistake to move to 3 teams with the new car this year. Every team struggles now and then, maybe this is their year.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

housesandhogans

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:03 pm

I've read that Ryan originally took a pay cut and signed the short contract when he first came along with Tony to the new SHR. I hope he stays next year, and for longer. I truly think things will get better and hope he and Tony have enough faith in one another to stick it out and keep on keepin' on! Then add Harvick...........an awsome foursome if you ask me!
<<

Annalee

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:02 pm

housesandhogans wrote:I've read that Ryan originally took a pay cut and signed the short contract when he first came along with Tony to the new SHR. I hope he stays next year, and for longer. I truly think things will get better and hope he and Tony have enough faith in one another to stick it out and keep on keepin' on! Then add Harvick...........an awsome foursome if you ask me!

Well said....couldn't agree more!

I really think Tony and Ryan are such good friends and I don't think Tony would have gone the extra mile to give him a new crew chief, one he had great history with, and a new pit crew if he was going to dump him next year.. I know if they can find sponsorship they will keep him and with Harvick......I see nothing but good things happening at SHR, just as soon as they get this car figured out!

I #Support Smoke
<<

smokieonefour

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:53 pm

High carumba! LOL I'll pay more attention to articles like this, later on in the season. Right now, when Tony rarely does well at this time of year is just...same ol stuff, different season, for now. The outcome remains to be seen. :-)

Too early to start counting chickens to sell yet .... ;-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:28 pm

Annalee wrote:
housesandhogans wrote:I've read that Ryan originally took a pay cut and signed the short contract when he first came along with Tony to the new SHR. I hope he stays next year, and for longer. I truly think things will get better and hope he and Tony have enough faith in one another to stick it out and keep on keepin' on! Then add Harvick...........an awsome foursome if you ask me!

Well said....couldn't agree more!

I really think Tony and Ryan are such good friends and I don't think Tony would have gone the extra mile to give him a new crew chief, one he had great history with, and a new pit crew if he was going to dump him next year.. I know if they can find sponsorship they will keep him and with Harvick......I see nothing but good things happening at SHR, just as soon as they get this car figured out!

They already said Borland is a temporary CC for Ryan. So even if Ryan resigns with SHR, he will get another CC. I think the thinking is if Ryan only stays for the one year why bring in another CC that they may have to get rid of when Ryan left. That & Ryan doesn't mind having his best man as his CC. Even if only for one year. So it was a convenience for SHR to have Borland pull double duties for SHR, than Tony going an extra mile.

About the three teams. I don't think going to three teams would hurt if the 3rd team was helping bring in more information. Instead they have two teams trying to feed info to the third team, which is a drawback. If the three teams were Tony, Ryan, & Harvick, it would be much more advantageous note & learning curve wise, But the all mighty dollar will always win. (& Tony isn't)
ImageImageImage
<<

Annalee

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:06 pm

You might REALLY be surprised at what happens in the next couple of weeks! :roll: :shock: :shock: Schmoopy you didn't like the picture I copied for you with Ryan.. :?:

I #Support Smoke
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:43 am

Annalee wrote:You might REALLY be surprised at what happens in the next couple of weeks! :roll: :shock: :shock: Schmoopy you didn't like the picture I copied for you with Ryan.. :?:

was the pic connected to a ryan story or a SHR story?
ImageImageImage
<<

Annalee

Post Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:20 pm

It was with the story, but I can't remember where I found the story? Think it was some Midwest Newspaper?!? :roll:

Schmoopy1000 wrote:
Annalee wrote:You might REALLY be surprised at what happens in the next couple of weeks! :roll: :shock: :shock: Schmoopy you didn't like the picture I copied for you with Ryan.. :?:

was the pic connected to a ryan story or a SHR story?

Here's one from today!!

I #Support Smoke
<<

#14smokefan

Post Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:14 pm

smokieonefour wrote:High carumba! LOL I'll pay more attention to articles like this, later on in the season. Right now, when Tony rarely does well at this time of year is just...same ol stuff, different season, for now. The outcome remains to be seen. :-)

Too early to start counting chickens to sell yet .... ;-)

Granted Tony never starts well, it has obviously been a big struggle this year for him. Much more so than in years past. You could always see flashes in years past early on but this year they don't even seem to be close to getting this gen-6 car figured out!!!
Next

Return to Tony