FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Kenseth Engine fails.........INSPECTION!!

<<

Annalee

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:30 am

Kenseth Engine fails.........INSPECTION!!

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - The Associated Press has learned the engine in Matt Kenseth's race-winning car from Kansas failed inspection at NASCAR's Research and Development Center.

NASCAR officials were discussing Wednesday what penalties to levy against Kenseth and Joe Gibbs Racing, multiple people familiar with the inspection told the AP on the condition of anonymity because no decision has been made.

The engine failed because one of the connecting rods not meeting the minimum weight requirement

Kenseth drove the No. 20 Toyota to his second win of the season Sunday in Kansas. It is standard procedure for the race winning engine to go back to Concord for a thorough inspection.

The JGR engines are supplied by Toyota Racing Development out of Costa Mesa, Calif., but NASCAR would hold the team responsible for any infractions.

MAYBE THIS IS WHY SHR IS HAVING SUCH A HARD TIME......THEY DON'T CHEAT!!

© Copyright 2013
Image"Fight for Four".......................me
#Support Smoke
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

Re: Kenseth Engine fails.........INSPECTION!!

Annalee wrote:CHARLOTTE, N.C. - The Associated Press has learned the engine in Matt Kenseth's race-winning car from Kansas failed inspection at NASCAR's Research and Development Center.

NASCAR officials were discussing Wednesday what penalties to levy against Kenseth and Joe Gibbs Racing, multiple people familiar with the inspection told the AP on the condition of anonymity because no decision has been made.

The engine failed because one of the connecting rods not meeting the minimum weight requirement

Kenseth drove the No. 20 Toyota to his second win of the season Sunday in Kansas. It is standard procedure for the race winning engine to go back to Concord for a thorough inspection.

The JGR engines are supplied by Toyota Racing Development out of Costa Mesa, Calif., but NASCAR would hold the team responsible for any infractions.

MAYBE THIS IS WHY SHR IS HAVING SUCH A HARD TIME......THEY DON'T CHEAT!!

© Copyright 2013

well when they found Carls car illegal one year they took took his bonus points from the chase on top of the regular points taken. I would suspect if they were to be consistent Kenseth will lose points in the Chase.
ImageImageImage
<<

Annalee

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:49 am

On one website....they are looking at points and fines........and if the crew chief knew about it......suspensions! yikes! It's not nice to fool mother NASCAR........time will tell. I bet Joe Gibbs is beside himself.......he gets very up set when anything looks like they have been playing in the gray area.....
#Support Smoke
<<

smoke14rulez

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:07 pm

If all the engines came complete from TRD, I don't see how Gibbs is at fault for this :?: :geek:
Image Image
...is that a breadstick or are you just happy to see me?
<<

Jellikit

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:36 pm

I agree Smoke. They're not tearing apart engines when they come in and measuring the weight of each component.
The only thing is, you have to keep everyone accountable. This falls down to even a machinist back at TRD. Someone is responsible, through either malice, negligence, or incompetence. Though I really don't see how something like one rod being lighter than the others is an advantage.
<<

TishR

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:41 pm

Just read on Nascar.com they nailed JGR. Matt will lose 50 points, the pole award and the bonus points for winning Kansas, Jason Radcliffe nailed $200,000 and suspended six point races and the all star race and Joe Gibbs docked 50 owner points. OUCH!!!!!
Tish
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:44 pm

TishR wrote:Just read on Nascar.com they nailed JGR. Matt will lose 50 points, the pole award and the bonus points for winning Kansas, Jason Radcliffe nailed $200,000 and suspended six point races and the all star race and Joe Gibbs docked 50 owner points. OUCH!!!!!

Wow! For something they may not even knew about. They got hit harder than Penske teams who were definitely trying to get around the rules. Wonder if Nascar will check the rest of the Toyota engines now?
ImageImageImage
<<

HTower

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:46 pm

Does this mean that Brad is off the hook now from "over zealous" NASCAR officials?
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:51 pm

HTower wrote:Does this mean that Brad is off the hook now from "over zealous" NASCAR officials?

I am wondering if Brad will say Nascar is targeting Kenseth & Gibbs racing :mrgreen:
ImageImageImage
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:22 pm

that is a brutal penalty, but i can see how they have to punish JGR, they really cant punish Toyota except monetarily........
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:24 pm

Posted on Jayski's:

TRD Statment on #20 penalties: TRD Statement: "During NASCAR's routine post-race tear down of Matt Kenseth's race-winning car and engine from Kansas Speedway, one of our engine connecting rods weighed in approximately three grams under the legal minimum weight of 525 grams. None of the other seven connecting rods were found to be under the minimum weight. We take full responsibility for this issue with the engine used by the #20 Joe Gibbs Racing (JGR) team this past Sunday in Kansas -- JGR is not involved in the process of selecting parts or assembling the Cup Series engines. It was a simple oversight on TRD's part and there was no intent to deceive, or to gain any type of competitive advantage. Toyota is a company that was built on integrity, and that remains one of the guiding principles of the company. The goal of TRD has always been -- and will continue to be -- to build high-performance engines that are reliable, durable and powerful, and within the guidelines established by NASCAR."(TRD)(4-24-2013)
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

Annalee

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:48 pm

You all are forgetting one thing.......this NASCAR... when is there ANYTHING logical in what they do!! This is getting very interesting!!

For those of you who know anything about engines ( Schmoopy or Smoke _14) ........how would this be an advantage?
Last edited by Annalee on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#Support Smoke
<<

Jellikit

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:49 pm

Soooo..we'll go with incompetence as the reason. ;)

I know they can't do anything about the points or the non-monetary part of the penalty, but I wonder if they'll (TRD) pick up the fine? 1/5 of a mil. Holy cow!

This really seems quite steep overall.
<<

onerockindoc

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:57 pm

Has Matty made a statement yet? I saw the Gibbs statement...of course I would have loved a live interview instead.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

HTower

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:32 pm

onerockindoc wrote:Has Matty made a statement yet? I saw the Gibbs statement...of course I would have loved a live interview instead.

What can he say? "Sorry about that, we have a contract with TRD for engines and we didn't dissassemble the engine down to the last bolt and weigh everything to make sure it fell within NASCAR tolerances."

He's probably asking TRD how they managed to screw up and have a bad part. Was the wrong metal composition used, why would they have a non approved item in their inventory system, etc.
Next

Return to NASCAR & Racing