FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Is a "TOP TEN" to much to ask for?

<<

onerockindoc

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:31 pm

Re: Is a "TOP TEN" to much to ask for?

You know...I read the handwriting on the wall....I listened to Tony the majority of the race but the last 20 laps or so I switched over to Matty.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

Annalee

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:40 pm

DOC....It was just SAD.....best you listened to someone else......
And with the TEST CREW they just hired.....24-7 until they find an answer!

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

eve

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:43 pm

I hope that I remember correctly what a packer is. I think that a packer is a small disk that is placed at the top of the shock to make small adjustments in the travel of the shock. Unlike a rubber that will make a big adjustment in the shock and is put into the coils of the shock. The packers come in different sizes from very thin on up. I don't remember exactly the measurements of the packers. I need to listen to Larry MacReynolds more closely about this. Let me know if I'm correct on this definition.

Annalee, I didn't hear Steve tell the crew to do it either and I remember Tony talking about it and Steve saying it would be better to take the time then than latter. This happened after he got 2 tires and restated 13th. With the next caution, Tony wanted to do this. Steve said that they could make up the lost positions easier then than later in the race. As far as I know, they did the usual - 4 tires a track bar and wedge adjustment. I never heard him tell the crew to do the packer adjustment that Tony asked for.

That's the problem in a nut shell. Steve won't listen to Tony. Tony asks for something and Steve ignores him. They just have not jelled the way Tony and Zippy did or Tony and Darian did. I hate to say it, but I am thinking that Tony made a rare mistake in letting Darian go. Ever since that happened things have not been the same with these teams.
<<

Smoke_14

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:53 pm

A packer is a shim that limits the amount of travel in a shock. Taking one out gives the shock more travel. I would assume they did take the shim out at one point as that is what most likely led to the cars splitter hitting the ground midway into the race. It's certainly this new shock package that is the problem, as others are posting that Tony has been requesting to take a packer out of the car the last couple of weeks. Now the thing is with shocks, u can play with different packages for weeks and not see any results. But when u do hit upon it, look out. Hopefully that day is soon.
Leave the Ears On the Dog
<<

Annalee

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:54 pm

Eve, I remember last week they did remove it at Texas.....it took some time, but it did help...... I also remember Tony saying " I don't care how many times I have to come down pit road, I want it fixed" they never fixed it....Then fast forward to today.... they put the packer back in !?! Go figure...... :x

Thanks for the explanation of a packer.... ;). Hope you are right smoke_14 !!

I #Support Smoke
<<

Smoke_14

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:58 pm

Also a rubber goes into the spring, not the shock. A rubber in or out is a big swing at a cars setup. But spring rates I believe are more closely regulated then shock packages. After watching Tony at Dover, where shocks are absolutely critical, the car the last few weeks act just like they do at Dover. No turn in, walk up the hill in the middle with no drive off. That is all about shocks. Some reported Tony before the race told the crew he would do the best he could, almost resigning himself to defeat. Well yeah, because if you start the race and your still searching for a shock package, then boys you know it's going to be a long day at the office.
Leave the Ears On the Dog
<<

onerockindoc

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:05 pm

I've done everything but sacrifice a chicken here in Texas. We're all frustrated judging by the comments the last few weeks.

Gotta keep on keeping on.
<<

Annalee

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:09 pm

Smoke _14, thanks so much for the info.....I think Steve could use your help!

I #Support Smoke
<<

Annalee

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:11 pm

onerockindoc wrote:I've done everything but sacrifice a chicken here in Texas. We're all frustrated judging by the comments the last few weeks.

Gotta keep on keeping on.

I'll buy the chicken!!.....it has come to that!!!!!!! :lol:

I #Support Smoke
<<

onerockindoc

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:22 pm

Great....now on top of all our problems on the track we'll be in trouble with PETA too!!!
<<

eve

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:24 pm

Thanks Smoke 14. My bad, I know that rubbers go in the springs, just called it the wrong thing. Thanks for letting us know that I was right about the packers. Like I said before, I need to listen to Larry Mac more closely on these things.
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:34 pm

its odd that Tony seems to keep asking for a packer to be removed, meanwhile the last couple races Ryan has had to add a packer to stop his splitter from hitting. Ryans car has responded well to adding them. Maybe harvick races more like Tony & can help tony next season when Ryans gone. Think Ryan likes a tighter car, while Tony likes a loose one. Don't know what harvick likes.
ImageImageImage
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:46 am

Something has got to change. Maybe not personnel, but philosophy.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

housesandhogans

Post Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:21 am

Thanks for the welcome Annalee. And, you're right........misery does love company and is one of the reasons I signed on here. :( I needed to see if my frustration was being felt by others.

Also, in an earlier post I sadi I thought the fight had gone out of Tony and someone said he has learned not to just yell at people to fix it. That is probably true. But, like another poster said later, it just didn't seem like the same Tony on the radio. He just sounded quiet and defeated. Like there wasn't much fight left in him. Hope a light bulb goes off in someone's head soon! I admire Tony for what he's accomplished in his life and hate to see him just not even be able to compete.
<<

im4tony

Post Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:10 am

Tony along with the rest of us is frustrated. Something has to give and they better hurry and figure it out. Steve needs to do some homework on this new car.
"This is my house" Tony at the Glen
PreviousNext

Return to Tony