FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

BASEBALL STARTS TODAY WITH MY REDS!

<<

rckblykitn

Post Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:43 pm

Re: BASEBALL STARTS TODAY WITH MY REDS!

smokieonefour wrote:
So glad you had a good time. :-) Yeah ... the San Mateo bridge is pretty freaky ... a long ways, no where to pull over and very low railings. A driver is not "held in" like the other bridges. I think ( not sure ) only FL has similar bridges that go over the shallows. Hold on to that toll ticket - as all toll tickets just went extinct. No more stopping, no more toll takers and no more fumbling for change. Now it's all pre-paid passes or a camera takes a picture of the license plate and one gets a bill in the mail. Some rental cars have the passes installed, and some don't.

Anyway - glad you had a great time at the game too. :-) If you ever plan on trying that trip again, let me know ahead of time and I'll help you plan a fantastic trip! :-)

I'm sure the removal of the actual pay-tolls has helped the traffic flow on the Golden Gate? At least somewhat I would hope! The only other bridges I've been across that were ridiculously long were the Chesapeake Bay bridge in high school on a bus trip to VA beach (that bridge is NO FUN if you are not a fan of bridges!!) and then the Chesapeake Bridge which I went over a few years ago with a friend and his brother, on our way from Baltimore to the race in Dover. I had no idea the bridge was on our route, saw it on the map on my phone a few minutes ahead of time, and thought to myself that it was the Chesapeake Bay bridge and I was like no way, we aren't anywhere near that one... well the Chesapeake Bridge (I think that's what it is called) is also a good 5.5 miles long... my friend and his brother had a good laugh at me during my anxiety attack going over that sucker!! Luckily we did not have to take that same route on the way home!!

I definitely plan on getting out to SF again sometime and I will be sure to hit you up for some help!! Thanks so very much for the offer!! :)
"If it works for you, do it. If its how you feel, act it. Just be yourself, and if being yourself means being cocky once in a while, have at it." ~Tony Stewart
<<

rckblykitn

Post Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:29 pm

Middle of the 3rd, Red Sox already up on my Yankees 6-0... my starting pitcher is a joke to begin with and now he's broken... what else is on????
"If it works for you, do it. If its how you feel, act it. Just be yourself, and if being yourself means being cocky once in a while, have at it." ~Tony Stewart
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:04 am

Braves clubbed the Phillies again tonight. Once again Chase Utley provided all of Philly's offense while Atlanta had three home runs (one by Justin Upton, one by Evan Gattis in his MLB debut while his dad was being interviewed by Fox Sports*, and one by Jason Heyward). Freddie Freeman also had a three-run double that was one of the big blows. Roy Halladay struck out nine, the Braves struck out 16 times total but they can record all 27 outs by strike out if they're scoring nine runs for all I care. Halladay was knocked out in the fourth a couple batters after Gattis' homer and before Freeman's double. Looks like a shadow of the guy who was so dominant two years ago, much the same as Ryan Howard's rapid decline.

*Evan Gattis is an incredible story. He had a scholarship to attend Texas A&M and play baseball but he passed and quit the game, admittedly afraid he wouldn't measure up. He worked odd jobs like a janitor and a ski lift operator and also dealt with substance abuse before returning to the game in 2011. The Braves signed him, he made the opening day roster this year, and tonight was his debut. He struck out against Halladay in his first at bat but in his second, he slugged one just over the left field wall. At the exact moment, his dad was being interviewed by Fox Sports and he basically gave the commentary of his son's first home run by exclaiming "There he goes!" It was a thing of beauty that brought a tear to a lot of eyes, mine included.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

smokieonefour

Post Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:57 pm

Woo hoo! A's won a game yesterday! :-) Somebody write this down so we don't forget.... LOL

MJ - we used to call them the Bash Brothers .... and they called themselves the "Juiced Brothers" - notice past tense, as in 'done.' ;-) I give Jose Canseco huge props for blowing the lid off, being honest & truthful even at his own detriment. :-)

rckblykitn - Sounds like we both share the same aversion to bridges... LOL Can't wait to help you pick & plan things for next trip... so keep me posted. :-) Gonna look into my old A's coliseum acquaintances & see if anyone is still around to get "inside" stuff for ya. ;-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

Jellikit

Post Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:21 pm

W
Go Cubs Go!!
Fantastic finish today. Nice start to the season, taking 2 of 3 from the Bucs on the road. :D
<<

thorman52

Post Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:28 pm

Jellikit - Go Cubbies! Watched the final couple innings. I cringe every time I see Marmol get the ball. He was unstoppable 2 years ago and since has lost games and blown leads consistently. Almost did it again today. We got out of it with a good DP. A Win is a Win. Raise that W banner high. Rizzo is looking good so far and we might have a decent season. See where we're at in Mid-May.
Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.”
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:52 pm

Braves lost 2-0, still took the series from Philadelphia. Kris Medlen didn't have his best stuff or else it would have been a #### of a pitching duel because the ball just was not traveling in the sub-40 temperatures and pretty heavy drizzle. Saw about six home runs total from both teams turn into fly outs on the warning track. Freddie Freeman had one that would have been replayed for a long time on most days.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

<<

rckblykitn

Post Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:48 am

smokieonefour wrote:Woo hoo! A's won a game yesterday! :-) Somebody write this down so we don't forget.... LOL

MJ - we used to call them the Bash Brothers .... and they called themselves the "Juiced Brothers" - notice past tense, as in 'done.' ;-) I give Jose Canseco huge props for blowing the lid off, being honest & truthful even at his own detriment. :-)

rckblykitn - Sounds like we both share the same aversion to bridges... LOL Can't wait to help you pick & plan things for next trip... so keep me posted. :-) Gonna look into my old A's coliseum acquaintances & see if anyone is still around to get "inside" stuff for ya. ;-)

My favorite little league team (the Yankees hahaha) finally won a game today, and in traditional Bronx Bombers fashion - dingers from the ever-so-hot Gardner and Cervelli!! Woot!

"Inside" stuff eh? That would be pretty super rad...and much appreciated!! Even if not just having a helping hand in navigating around and stuff like that would be tremendously helpful. I did enjoy getting myself pretty lost (purposely) in SF though, it really is pretty there!! And people are so nice and friendly, that surprised me since the only other place I've been in CA is the LA area and my experiences with people there were the *complete* opposite!!
<<

smokieonefour

Post Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:44 am

Good deal. :-)

It's not a trip to SF .... unless you get lost at least once... or go the wrong way down a one way street...LOL

I'm not surprised by the reception in SoCal. I never venture down there. Disneyland and Hollywood are not my area's. LOL I do SF, Oakland, Napa, Sacto, Gold Rush area... more NorCal area's. Tons of tracks in Cali for racing too ... have to see if we can't add a race to a game... :-)

Maybe if the new stadium is built or being built, you can visit that too. :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:51 pm

Tonight the Braves start a key 3-game set with the Washington Nationals in DC. These two are widely expected not only to contest the NL East down to the wire but to probably clash for the pennant in the National League Championship Series this fall, the winner of course advancing to the World Series.

Pitching matchups:
Tonight: Julio Teheran vs Ross Detweiler
Tomorrow: Tim Hudson vs Stephen Strasburg
Sunday: Paul Maholm vs Gio Gonzalez

Huddy vs Strasburg will be a great game probably, it is the game of the week on FOX so anyone looking for a great pitching matchup should tune in.

<<

Jellikit

Post Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:22 pm

W

Nice comeback for the Cubbies tonight over the champs.
Way to go Castro in the bottom of the 9th!
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:16 am

Huge come back for the Braves. Down 4-0 after the second through about the seventh, they got one in the seventh, one in the eighth, and two in the ninth to tie it. In the top of the 10th, light-hitting utilityman Ramiro Pena hit a two-run homer to left, Craig Kimbrel came on in the bottom and got a 1-2-3 inning to seal the win. Might have turned the tide of the series, the gNats had to really tax a couple relievers (Tyler Clippard and Drew Storen) while their bullpen had already seen a bit of work. Our bullpen meanwhile stayed relatively fresh. Julio Teheran settled down after giving up four early runs. Over the last eight innings of the game, the gNats recorded exactly zero hits.

<<

Jellikit

Post Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:29 am

W
5 in a row for the North-side of Chicago.
Just sayin'. :mrgreen:

And where is thorman lately? Come on Michiana homey...Cubbies are on a roll! 8-)
<<

ndunn

Post Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:27 pm

smokieonefour wrote:Good deal. :-)

It's not a trip to SF .... unless you get lost at least once... or go the wrong way down a one way street...LOL

I'm not surprised by the reception in SoCal. I never venture down there. Disneyland and Hollywood are not my area's. LOL I do SF, Oakland, Napa, Sacto, Gold Rush area... more NorCal area's. Tons of tracks in Cali for racing too ... have to see if we can't add a race to a game... :-)

Maybe if the new stadium is built or being built, you can visit that too. :-)

smokie it was interesting reading about California, LA, and Sf and bridges. I was in Cal. only once years ago and that was enough. I didn't like LA but SF was beautiful and north of there also. I could only handle the Golden gate once and one in Florida. We have the bridge from lower MI. to the UP which is around 5 miles long. I never minded driving it except when it's windy. If it is too windy they shut the bridge down. I guess what helps is the things one can look at to keep from being terrified. It's beautiful after dark when the bridge has the lights on.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
Previous

Return to The Lobby