FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

The LOL PLace

<<

NascarNanaOK

Post Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:16 pm

Re: The LOL PLace

thorman52 wrote:Yes I didn't mention that and should have. In fact Oologah was in Indian Territory at the time of his birth, now Oklahoma. Good article at Wikipedia and shows his house...nice place! He has been admired by many and I'm one for sure. His wit was so profound and like I said previously, still timely to this day. A great American for Sooners to be proud of.

Thanks for the additional information. He is a fascinating person.

Just for the record, I'm a Boomer, not a Sooner. The Boomers crossed the starting line at the boom of the cannon. The Sooners jumped the start and cheated to get a head start on the law abiders. My grandfather was an infant, laying in the bed of a wagon when his parents took off on the Land Run.

And anyway... I went to Oklahoma STATE University.
;) 8-) :) :D :lol: :mrgreen:
14 to win in '14

He has Risen!

Nascar Nana OK
<<

thorman52

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:58 am

Today was an educational day for me. I knew about the land rush, but I did not know a Sooner from a Boomer. I do now. Very interesting to say the least.

Also didn't know that Jim Thorpe was from Prague, OK. In a poll of sports fans conducted by ABC Sports, Thorpe was voted the Greatest Athlete of the Twentieth Century out of 15 other athletes including Muhammad Ali, Babe Ruth, Jesse Owens, Wayne Gretzky, Jack Nicklaus, and Michael Jordan. WOW, now that's some company!

I also noticed the capitalization of STATE (Cowboys/Cowgirls). Maybe a little rivalry between Stillwater and Norman I would guess.
Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.”
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

NascarNanaOK

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:32 pm

Glad to help spread some knowledge, Thorman52. Prague (my home town since 2003) is very proud of their native son, Jim Thorpe. The street in town that would probably be thought of as Main Street by a stranger is actually name Jim Thorpe Blvd. Main Street intersects Jim Thorpe and is the only intersection in town that has a street light. (Are you thinking small town yet?) Prague's other source of pride is its Czechoslovakian heritage. Of course, the town's name comes from the Czech city, but we are still Okies. Instead of pronouncing our town's name like the Czech city, we Okies say Prague like Sprague (ie, driver Jack Sprague) without the ess.

From 1990 thru 2003, my kids and I lived in Stillwater. We moved there from Tulsa so I could attend OSU. Both my kids also attended OSU while we lived there, but unfortunately neither of them graduated. But my affection for OSU started back when I was in high school. So if I say GO COWBOYS, I'm not talking about those guys in Dallas.

Now that I have given you entirely TMI, y'all come to the Chili Bowl next January, watch Tony race "Back In Black," and see some of our State. :ugeek:
14 to win in '14

He has Risen!

Nascar Nana OK
<<

thorman52

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:46 pm

Thinkin' small town yet? Not at all. Rather thinkin' close knit town with a history to be proud of. Any sports fan had heard of Jim Thorpe but I for one never knew the entire glory and tragedy of his life.

I have a very, very slight connection to Prague and Oklahoma. When I left for my first cruise in 1966 heading for the South China Sea, I was dating a Czech girl and she saw me off at the dock. Well, she didn't wait for me but that's okay. She was from OK and had a son named Cimarron. Then when I lived in Atlanta/Athens, GA in the early 70's I dated another lady from OK. That's another story too. Guess when you get my age you have a hundred stories.

Ahhh...the Chili Bowl. Shows you what I know. Thought you meant a football game. LOL. Googled it and see that Mr. Stewart won in 2008 and has a few NASCAR friends involved also. When I win my lottery, I'll be there. Tony has some pretty good connections in my area too, mainly the Plymouth race track and Hoosier Tire. He's one of my favs.

And, did you see the post on the HAPPY EASTER blog about Prudoe Bay. They have a Service Center called NANA Oilfield Services and thought you had a part time vocation up in Alaska. lol.
Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.”
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

NascarNanaOK

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:27 pm

I wish, I would love to visit Alaska. As for stories, if you haven't figured it out, I'm a story teller. You really don't want to get me started. But this has been fun, to help pass the time on "off week." Hope you have enjoyed it as well.

Have a nice evening.

PS: Like many others, things have been tight around here for the last 3 years. Going to the Chili Bowl is the high point of my year. I do anything I can to save up enough money to buy my pitpass every January.
14 to win in '14

He has Risen!

Nascar Nana OK
<<

Annalee

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:03 pm

NascarNanaOK wrote:
thorman52 wrote:Yes I didn't mention that and should have. In fact Oologah was in Indian Territory at the time of his birth, now Oklahoma. Good article at Wikipedia and shows his house...nice place! He has been admired by many and I'm one for sure. His wit was so profound and like I said previously, still timely to this day. A great American for Sooners to be proud of.

Thanks for the additional information. He is a fascinating person.

Just for the record, I'm a Boomer, not a Sooner. The Boomers crossed the starting line at the boom of the cannon. The Sooners jumped the start and cheated to get a head start on the law abiders. My grandfather was an infant, laying in the bed of a wagon when his parents took off on the Land Run.

And anyway... I went to Oklahoma STATE University.
;) 8-) :) :D :lol: :mrgreen:

Nana, my great grandfather also was part of the Oklahoma land rush.....don't know if he was Boomer or a Sooner.............

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

NascarNanaOK

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:13 pm

We'll assume he was a law abiding Boomer. LOL My greatgrandfather was a lawyer, school master, post master, justice of the peace, and a moonshiner. Maybe that is where my love for Nascar comes from. The story goes, the government representative came to the house to put Grandpa Baker and his family on the Indian Rolls. But Grandpa denied they had any Indian blood, because if people in town learned he was Indian, he would loose all his business! That's the kind of history I love.
14 to win in '14

He has Risen!

Nascar Nana OK
<<

thorman52

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:43 pm

Let me tell you my friends...I had an outstanding evening. My Lady Irish just made it to the Final 4 again and I can't tell you what that means to me and the South Bend community. I'm an old man but I have a few tears right now. Nuff of that.

Yes I love to tell stories also Nana as maybe you can tell. I have a few and nobody to tell them to. I once said that I have lived through the most progressive era since the Industrial Revolution. Since my birth I have witnessed the most amazing advances in science and technology and social change and challenges. I've watched and listened to the rise and fall of Rock & Roll. I've lived in fear of the possibility of the end of the world and at the same time the hope of discovering the end of many devastating diseases. What a time to have been alive.

Yeah the off week actually caught me off guard. I'm a rookie when it comes to NASCAR. Love it though. And anytime you want to tell me some more stories....you go girl. I'll tell you one back. As for Alaska, I'd really like to visit those forbidden frozen tundras of Barrow and Prudow. Would rather do that than be in Times Square at New Years for sure.

Now it's on to... ?? Where is Martinsville?
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

Annalee

Post Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:56 am

NascarNanaOK wrote:We'll assume he was a law abiding Boomer. LOL My greatgrandfather was a lawyer, school master, post master, justice of the peace, and a moonshiner. Maybe that is where my love for Nascar comes from. The story goes, the government representative came to the house to put Grandpa Baker and his family on the Indian Rolls. But Grandpa denied they had any Indian blood, because if people in town learned he was Indian, he would loose all his business! That's the kind of history I love.

Thru genealogy ,my great grand father came from Russia on the Volga River ,did the Oklahoma land rush......stayed long enough to get married and start a family......along came Grandpa.....sold the property and moved to Colorado, was a rancher there....then sold that and moved to California.....went to the hills of California, mined for gold....staked a hugh claim, made enough money to move to San Francisco open a bank, hotel, and apartment building......I find it so amazing what they did with nothing........I so admire their never give up attitude. When one door closed they found a way to open another! There were no government hand outs, they just made it work ......The wanderlust was passed down....... :) I loved tracing my family roots......

I #Support Smoke
<<

Annalee

Post Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:03 pm

Thorman....Martinsville.....just down the road a piece!! It is in Ridgeway, Va......

I #Support Smoke
<<

thorman52

Post Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:23 pm

Oh, yeah...near Horse Pasture.

I like to put them into my weather app for the days before a race. May affect my picks. lol Like I have a strategy.
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

NascarNanaOK

Post Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:09 pm

Good day, Thor. How are things in the Princess City?

Years ago, I did a little tracing of my family, but went to work and had no more time for it. I would love to start again, but can't really afford it now. Something on my bucket list.

Your great grand parents were real pioneers. Would they be upset to find out you are associating with a bunch of moonshiners? LOL My mother got upset because I was trying to prove my Indian heritage. :oops:

2 days till practice...
14 to win in '14

He has Risen!

Nascar Nana OK
<<

thorman52

Post Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:53 pm

Sunny and still a little cool (51) in the Princess City Nana. Tied the record low of 18 this morning. Better days ahead. Got cabin fever. Need to be doing yard work. Last year at this time we had several 70 degree days and a handful of 80s. Patience is a virtue I hear. :roll:

Like hearing about you and Annalees' heritage and how you traced it all. I had a great-aunt that did extensive research on my mom's side of the family and when she found out we had a horse thief in the family, the tracking ended. lol My dad's side comes through Ontario, Canada and wouldn't know how to track before that. Some Germany and some English/Irish. Cost is a factor with me also.
:?
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

smokieonefour

Post Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:15 pm

From a local paper -

I was serving as a helicopter pilot ferrying workers to and from an offshore oil rig, when one day, the engine faltered and we started to drop. Luckily, we landed the bird peacefully on a near by lake. One of the workers un-did his seat belt, put on a life vest, opened the door and got ready to jump.

"Wait!" my co-pilot said to him, "This helicopter can float!"

"Yeah and it was supposed to fly too!" yelled the man and jumping.....

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~

A friend sent this link to me... and oh my gosh... I Laughed Out Loud at some of these pic's. :-)

It's about baby's & toddlers "photo bombing" pics...

http://mom.me/parenting/5081-hilarious-baby-photobombs/
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

Annalee

Post Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:40 pm

Thorman....... I refused to pay for Ancestry.com, so I googled in my grandparents names and went from there.... My grandmas side was German who migrated to Russia, to Volga River then decided that there was a better place called America...some of them came thru Canada to escape Russia....the horse thief sounds familiar on my husbands side....same thing the trail went cold after that.... :lol: :lol:

I #Support Smoke
PreviousNext

Return to The Lobby