FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

BASEBALL STARTS TODAY WITH MY REDS!

<<

chevy39fan

Post Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:19 pm

BASEBALL STARTS TODAY WITH MY REDS!

Well, at least from today on. I can look forward to another sport besides Nascar!

My Cincinnati Reds start off the season today. They are favored to win their division. That's an opinion not fact?

Good luck to my Reds and your favorite team this 2013 baseball season! :D :D :D
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:29 pm

Re: BASEBALL STARTS TODAY WITH MY REDS!

My Atlanta Braves kick off their season tonight too. They're picked to finish second in the National League East by most pundits, but I'm looking for big things if everyone performs at a level they're capable of performing at and stay healthy in the process.

Good luck to your Reds.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

thorman52

Post Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:01 pm

Got the TV on WGN waiting for Samardzija to start for my Cubbies in his first opening day start. "T" minus 33 minutes and counting. Hope he does well this season. He's a great guy. Was a pretty good receiver at Notre Dame also. Now he's the thrower.

Wish your Reds the best except the 18 times they play the Cubs. Atlanta is my 2nd favorite team because I lived in Atlanta in the early 70's. Saw Hammerin' Hank hit 715 live and up close. Best couple of years while in Atlanta. Went to at least 50 games. Can't afford to go to any Cubs games any more. That's why there is a WGN.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!
Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.”
~~~George Bernard Shaw
<<

smokieonefour

Post Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:33 pm

Go A's! :-)

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:40 pm

go phillies!!! fantasy team this yr
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

rckblykitn

Post Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:42 pm

My Yankees lost to the Red Sox on opening day today... not really overly confident in them this year anyway. Wayyy too many injuries to start the season off on a good note I think, but we'll see...

Saw Hammerin' Hank hit 715 live and up close.

Now THAT is one helluva memory! that is AWESOME!!!

Smokieonefour - The A's are my second fave team. I always rooted for them when I was a kid. Mark McGwire was my guy. And I've followed them closely ever since. I actually took a trip out to Oakland about 4 years ago to see them play the yankees, that was fun! Thanks for posting Centerfield... LOVE that song, that's one of the mandatory "turn-it-up-and-sing-along-at-the-top-of-my-lungs" songs!! :)
"If it works for you, do it. If its how you feel, act it. Just be yourself, and if being yourself means being cocky once in a while, have at it." ~Tony Stewart
<<

Jellikit

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:33 am

Cubs ~ W
Nationals ~ W

:D :D
<<

smokieonefour

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:42 pm

rckblykitn wrote:
Smokieonefour - The A's are my second fave team. I always rooted for them when I was a kid. Mark McGwire was my guy. And I've followed them closely ever since. I actually took a trip out to Oakland about 4 years ago to see them play the yankees, that was fun! Thanks for posting Centerfield... LOVE that song, that's one of the mandatory "turn-it-up-and-sing-along-at-the-top-of-my-lungs" songs!! :)

You are so welcome... and thank you for thanking me. :-) One of my fave songs too. Thanks to you I put on some ear phones, turned it up & kicked back, last night. Very cool. :-)

The Bash Brothers were something else... and one heck of a trip. :-) Ricky Henderson, Dennis E. .... those were the good ol days. :-) I was raised an A's fan, since the 70's - lived among them & the Raiders - you'd see them in stores, at the kids parks,went to school w/their kids, babysat for them .... just everywhere. :-) Jose Canseco got himself into quite a bit of trouble in the bay area.... LOL I always made the "Battle of the bay" expo show before the season opened... I miss that game, so much.

How was your trip to Oakland? :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:52 pm

dont u mean the steroid brothers smokie????? wahoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :P
<<

rckblykitn

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:51 pm

smokieonefour wrote:You are so welcome... and thank you for thanking me. :-) One of my fave songs too. Thanks to you I put on some ear phones, turned it up & kicked back, last night. Very cool. :-)

The Bash Brothers were something else... and one heck of a trip. :-) Ricky Henderson, Dennis E. .... those were the good ol days. :-) I was raised an A's fan, since the 70's - lived among them & the Raiders - you'd see them in stores, at the kids parks,went to school w/their kids, babysat for them .... just everywhere. :-) Jose Canseco got himself into quite a bit of trouble in the bay area.... LOL I always made the "Battle of the bay" expo show before the season opened... I miss that game, so much.

Canseco used to be one of my favorite players, Eck too. I still get to see him as he is a analyst for the Red Sox and he's on the postgame show. He's a funny guy!! and how could anyone not love Rickey!! I LOVED watching him play.

My trip was fun, but I would have liked to have had more time to spend there - I was there for basically 4 days total, Saturday - Tuesday (left at like 5 am Wed. morning). Plus I didn't know my way around, my Iphone map app sucked (it was the first generation Iphone), I didn't have a car charger for it so I had to use it sparingly... it did get me where I wanted to go. The game I went to was on Tuesday. I wanted to do a bit of sightseeing in SF on Sunday and Monday, so I found my way to Lombard St., the painted ladies, found a great little restaurant for lunch, and then went over the Golden Gate bridge (twice - back and forth!) that was originally a feat for me as I'm terrified of bridges. But it was very surreal so I managed not to have an anxiety attack on my second trip back over it, which included a little over an hour's worth of bumper to bumper dead-stopped traffic...yay! I did take pics of it from the parks on either side, and it was foggy that day (which I expected) so they look cool. I even kept my toll receipt, I keep it in my wallet to this day and always smile when I see it. I felt like I'd conquered the world.... that is until Tuesday and on the way to the game, had to take the San Mateo-Hayward bridge... I didn't even know bridges that long existed!! Holy mama!!! The Yankees got their a$$es handed to them, I had great seats on the 1st base line. But I wore my Zito jersey (even though he was already in SF then) and I was all about being an A's fan that day. The whole experience of a new stadium was such fun. I definitely want to go out there again for another game and do more sightseeing in SF someday!!
"If it works for you, do it. If its how you feel, act it. Just be yourself, and if being yourself means being cocky once in a while, have at it." ~Tony Stewart
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:32 pm

Braves clobbered Philadelphia last night, Chase Utley is the only reason the Phillies kept it as close as they did. Win number one in the books!
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:03 pm

considering utley struggled with an injury last couple years thats a good thing,
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:31 pm

michaeljohn wrote:considering utley struggled with an injury last couple years thats a good thing,

Well the way it's generally supposed to work is the guy who's hurt gets healthy and the other guys keep performing. Howard is nothing but a shadow of his former self, I know his case is due largely to an injury too, but he was a big liability to them last night. A sure infield hit for 99% of the players in the game, he got thrown out. As they said on the radio, had he been running any slower he would have been playing in the prior night's game. Granted it might be a different story Wednesday, I mean the Astros beat the Rangers 8-2 on Sunday so it can't be judged by one game, but he was bad last year too. As a fan of the game it's a shame to see, as great as he was the first few years of his career before the Achilles injury.

Utley had a homer, a two-run single, and legged out a triple and scored on a weak groundout to first by - who else? - Howard, so he was key in four of their five runs. If he makes an out in those cases, they would have maybe had one run because the fifth was because Jordan Walden was so wild (two doubles, two wild pitches). It was a tremendous performance on his part. He always seems to rise up against Atlanta, that was his 200th-career home run and Jim Powell (Braves radio announcer) said "Of the 200 home runs in the career of Chase Utley, 199 have come against Atlanta." Summed it up. Of course Craig Kimbrel made him, Rollins, and Howard all look foolish in the ninth, but then Kimbrel does that to everybody.

<<

Jellikit

Post Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:44 pm

How many times is a perfect game spoiled on the last batter?
What a shame for YU and the Rangers, but what a performance. That guy is flat out nasty.
In case anyone doesn't know, the MLB Pass is free this week. All games, including NHL, are free.
GO CUBS GO!
<<

smokieonefour

Post Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:49 pm

rckblykitn wrote:
smokieonefour wrote:You are so welcome... and thank you for thanking me. :-) One of my fave songs too. Thanks to you I put on some ear phones, turned it up & kicked back, last night. Very cool. :-)

Canseco used to be one of my favorite players, Eck too. I still get to see him as he is a analyst for the Red Sox and he's on the postgame show. He's a funny guy!! and how could anyone not love Rickey!! I LOVED watching him play.

My trip was fun, but I would have liked to have had more time to spend there - I was there for basically 4 days total, Saturday - Tuesday (left at like 5 am Wed. morning). Plus I didn't know my way around, my Iphone map app sucked (it was the first generation Iphone), I didn't have a car charger for it so I had to use it sparingly... it did get me where I wanted to go. The game I went to was on Tuesday. I wanted to do a bit of sightseeing in SF on Sunday and Monday, so I found my way to Lombard St., the painted ladies, found a great little restaurant for lunch, and then went over the Golden Gate bridge (twice - back and forth!) that was originally a feat for me as I'm terrified of bridges. But it was very surreal so I managed not to have an anxiety attack on my second trip back over it, which included a little over an hour's worth of bumper to bumper dead-stopped traffic...yay! I did take pics of it from the parks on either side, and it was foggy that day (which I expected) so they look cool. I even kept my toll receipt, I keep it in my wallet to this day and always smile when I see it. I felt like I'd conquered the world.... that is until Tuesday and on the way to the game, had to take the San Mateo-Hayward bridge... I didn't even know bridges that long existed!! Holy mama!!! The Yankees got their a$$es handed to them, I had great seats on the 1st base line. But I wore my Zito jersey (even though he was already in SF then) and I was all about being an A's fan that day. The whole experience of a new stadium was such fun. I definitely want to go out there again for another game and do more sightseeing in SF someday!!

So glad you had a good time. :-) Yeah ... the San Mateo bridge is pretty freaky ... a long ways, no where to pull over and very low railings. A driver is not "held in" like the other bridges. I think ( not sure ) only FL has similar bridges that go over the shallows. Hold on to that toll ticket - as all toll tickets just went extinct. No more stopping, no more toll takers and no more fumbling for change. Now it's all pre-paid passes or a camera takes a picture of the license plate and one gets a bill in the mail. Some rental cars have the passes installed, and some don't.

Anyway - glad you had a great time at the game too. :-) If you ever plan on trying that trip again, let me know ahead of time and I'll help you plan a fantastic trip! :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Next

Return to The Lobby