FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Alan Kulwicki - 20 Yeas Ago Today - RIP!

<<

HiddenHollow

Post Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:24 am

Alan Kulwicki - 20 Yeas Ago Today - RIP!

Hard to believe it's been 20 years.

Alan1.jpg
RIP Alan!
Alan1.jpg (18.19 KiB) Viewed 614 times

"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

Countdown to the 2015 Daytona 500
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:20 pm

Re: Alan Kulwicki - 20 Yeas Ago Today - RIP!

My parents were Bill Elliott fans but I'm sure in hindsight they're glad Alan won the title. Davey was my favorite, though, so that '92 title decider is still bittersweet. But Alan did it his way all the way, and it's hard not to respect that. He was a tremendously talented and driven individual and a huge, huge loss for our sport because we only enjoyed his title reign for five races.

It's still hard to believe we lost the champ like that. The only other time it's happened that I can think of in major North American auto racing since the 1950s would be Little Joe Weatherly, the '62 and '63 champ who was killed at Riverside in 1964.

Semi-funny story about Alan and Hooters. In April 1995, it was the day Mark Martin won Talladega and Earnhardt wrecked on the backstretch on the last lap because we watched the finish in the room, my family and some of my mom's relatives had gathered in Panama City, FL, for a vacation. We were staying at the Days Inn and if you looked outside, boom, there was a Hooters. Well when I thought of Hooters I didn't think of the girls, I thought of Alan Kulwicki. So I implored my parents to let me eat dinner there, to show solidarity with my fallen champion. They, obviously, said no. I pitched a fit about wanting to eat at Hooters, in front of my mom's relatives, God, and several other people who were outside that time of night and even more who probably could hear me on the other side of the hotel. No doubt embarrassed my mom to no end.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

dirt93

Post Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:31 pm

He was an amazing person. I wish I was into NASCAR back then. It would have been cool to see him win the championship as the owner.
Here kitty kitty.. come get you some of this!!
<<

BlackFlag

Post Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:12 pm

Yea, that was a sad day.
I was a Davey Allison fan back then, too. I remember after Alan died, Davey said he was glad Alan won the championship that year, since he himself would have another shot at it in the current season.
Then Davey got killed in a helicopter crash that very Summer.
That was a rough time to be a Nascar fan.
My least favorite band in the history of music is called: Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.

Return to NASCAR & Racing