FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Not so fast Mark Martin fans

<<

onerockindoc

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:13 pm

Not so fast Mark Martin fans

Oops.

On Thursday night Joe Gibbs Racing announced that Mark Martin would replace Denny Hamlin behind the wheel of the No. 11 JGR Toyota while Hamlin recuperated from a broken vertebra suffered last Sunday at Auto Club Speedway.

Friday night, Michael Waltrip Racing said, in essence, no go.

Martin will drive for Hamlin next week at Martinsville Speedway only, while the seat remains open for the remaining four races Hamlin is expected to miss. So it’s apparently back to square one for JGR.

“Michael Waltrip Racing announced today that Mark Martin will fill in for injured Joe Gibbs Racing driver Denny Hamlin in the No. 11 Toyota Camry next weekend at Martinsville Speedway,” MWR said in a Friday night press release. “Martin will return to the No. 55 Aaron's Dream Machine Toyota Camry at Texas Motor Speedway on April 13 and resume his previously scheduled run of events with MWR for the remainder of the 2013 NASCAR Sprint cup season.”

It looks as if sponsor concerns may have played a part in the decision.

“I think it is great that a driver of Mark’s caliber is available to support our fellow Toyota team during this difficult time for them. We wish Denny a speedy recovery" said MWR founder and co-owner Michael Waltrip, in the MWR release. “Mark is a big part of our organization and is committed to our sponsors, especially Aaron’s and Toyota. We have a lot of goals yet to reach this year and we are very focused on accomplishing them.

“As previously announced, Brian Vickers will race MWR’s No. 55 Jet Edge Toyota Camry for MWR at Martinsville,” the release concluded.

Hamlin is expected to be sidelined for five races following his last-lap crash on Sunday. That number could change, based on how Hamlin’s recuperation goes.

“We’ve been real fortunate to have never been in this situation with the need to find someone to fill in for an injured driver,” said Gibbs in a press release issued by the team Thursday night. “A lot goes into a decision like this but we are really pleased to have someone of the character and caliber of Mark Martin to fill in while Denny is out. Obviously we’re not exactly sure how long that is going to take, but Mark’s career speaks for itself and our team knows it will have the opportunity to compete for a win every week.”

So now, the search resumes. Stay tuned.

Tom Jensen is the Editor in Chief of SPEED.com, Senior NASCAR Editor at RACER and a contributing Editor for TruckSeries.com. You can follow him online at twitter.com/tomjensen100.
I strive to live by the Golden Rule, do you?
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:23 pm

Re: Not so fast Mark Martin fans

:roll: Sounds like JGR didn't talk things over completely with MWR. **scramble, scramble**

According to Jayski's:

1. Michael Waltrip Racing announced that Mark Martin will fill in for injured Joe Gibbs Racing driver Denny Hamlin in the #11 Toyota Camry next weekend at Martinsville Speedway. Martin will return to the #55 Aaron's Dream Machine Toyota at Texas Motor Speedway on April 13 and resume his previously scheduled run of events with MWR for the remainder of the 2013 NASCAR Sprint cup season. As previously announced, Brian Vickers will race MWR's #55 Jet Edge Toyota Camry for MWR at Martinsville.(MWR)(3-29-2013)

2. Joe Gibbs Racing announces that Brian Vickers will take over behind the wheel of the #11 FedEx Toyota Camry in the Sprint Cup Series for the injured Denny Hamlin starting on April 13 at Texas Motor Speedway. It was previously released that Mark Martin would handle the duties behind the wheel for the #11 Joe Gibbs Racing team while Denny Hamlin recovered from injury. Martin will drive the car in Martinsville, but Vickers will now take over the duties beginning in Texas. "Obviously having to find someone to fill in for Denny is not an ideal situation to have to be in and when you start a process like this you obviously begin to look at the drivers that are not only available but also able to drive for your race team and manufacturer. We were a bit premature in determining Mark's status past Martinsville however," said J.D. Gibbs, president of Joe Gibbs Racing. "We're real happy to have the opportunity to get Brian in our Cup cars and with him driving Nationwide for us we think we have some continuity there that is beneficial.(JGR)(3-29-2013)
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

Rochelle

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:45 pm

That's fine with me (haha as if I matter). To me, better Brian than Elliott. Brian was good in the 55 last year so I'm hoping this is good for Grubb and the 11 team. I'm guessing the NW schedule is compatible with the Cup schedule. My bet is Brian will have the 55 next year, but we'll see what happens. I think he'll be racing smart with next year in mind.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:11 pm

Dammit.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:58 pm

they said mark hates m'ville thats why brian is driving there, so is mikey tryin to keep a hold on vickers so no one else gets him, or is mark taking the JGR ride because its better than MWR?? NW doesnt race next weekend....... there is a gunman in the grassy knoll, somethin doesnt seem right.
I miss you Frehley........
<<

Annalee

Post Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:20 pm

From what I have heard it has more to do with the sponsors than anything else........ ;)

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

austin024

Post Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:34 pm

Annalee wrote:From what I have heard it has more to do with the sponsors than anything else........ ;)

You are Correct, marks sponsor did not want him switching races.

I am who I am, If you dont like me. You Can kiss my ####

Return to NASCAR & Racing