FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Think Tonys latest interview

<<

tlmerk

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:35 am

Re: Think Tonys latest interview

Good points guys. Schmoop, esp. liked your take on the "rich kid mentality." I get it. I've seen enough of those kids and I guess that is probably what causes Joey to be like he is which I hadn't thought about. One of the things I like about Tony is that he usually takes responsibility for his actions. The 20-car wreck that HE caused by blocking, wasn't covered up or disguised as something else. He apologized for causing it. Guess that's the difference between someone like Joey and someone like Smoke. We all know Tony's temper and his antics at the press, other drivers and even the fans. But we stick with him because he's the best driver out there and because he usually stands by what he says. I think that's why I like Brad K. Brad and Tony aren't usually PC. They say what's on their minds and sometimes people like me cringe, but I know sometimes I don't have a filter either. I can't expect my favorite drivers to have a filter after a heated race.
Where there's Smoke, there's fire!
<<

tlooney14

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:12 pm

if i was tony i would have beat the crap out of joey lagoono....
good job TONY :oops:
TLooney14
...settling for second, you might as well kiss your aunt with a hairy mustache. - Tony Stewart
<<

tlooney14

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:16 pm

i'm on tonys side
screw joey laGOONo :twisted:
TLooney14
...settling for second, you might as well kiss your aunt with a hairy mustache. - Tony Stewart
<<

wolfgang

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:18 pm

Tony is a great all round driver and i like the fact he helped create SHR to become what it is today as well as what he does for Dirt Racing as a promoter.
Since he is a friend of Kevin Harvick and is going to hire him next season,i'll reframe from any other comments toward Tony other than the positive ones. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
WHEN THE GREEN FLAG DROPS, THE B.S. STOPS !
<<

azk8ster

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:47 pm

Annalee, if our household didn't already have 4 cats, I'd DEMAND you send me that adorable puppy!

Schmoopy, I completely agree with you about the Dillon brothers. I cringe when ever I see Austin, and hope nothing but the best for Ty. Austin just oozes smugness (IMHO), while Ty seems very grounded and sincere.

Still don't understand how people think Joey didn't EARN his way to Cup. As he's not a favorite driver of mine, I just have a peripheral grasp of his racing career, but I'm reasonably sure he didn't just graduate from high school and and for, and get (because his Daddy is rich), the 20 car. Is he less worthy because he might've had better equipment in the lower ranks, is that why you think things were handed to him? Please enlighten me...
"Faith is believing in things when common sense tells you not to"
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 am

azk8ster wrote:Annalee, if our household didn't already have 4 cats, I'd DEMAND you send me that adorable puppy!

Schmoopy, I completely agree with you about the Dillon brothers. I cringe when ever I see Austin, and hope nothing but the best for Ty. Austin just oozes smugness (IMHO), while Ty seems very grounded and sincere.

Still don't understand how people think Joey didn't EARN his way to Cup. As he's not a favorite driver of mine, I just have a peripheral grasp of his racing career, but I'm reasonably sure he didn't just graduate from high school and and for, and get (because his Daddy is rich), the 20 car. Is he less worthy because he might've had better equipment in the lower ranks, is that why you think things were handed to him? Please enlighten me...

I'll take a stab at this one. Sure he had skills. To many times I seen drivers with money buying top notch stuff & just wreck others because they cant drive. But from the moment he was racing it was top teir stuff. He never knew struggle or failure of any kind thats to superior stuff vs. the rest of the field all the way up to the big boys. His hype was more than he deserved because who was to say there werent better guys he raced against but they jusst couldnt out money him, yet he became sliced bread. Which is why his I deserve everyones respect attitude is there. I point out another driver that dominated everything raced against in the lower ranks. Michael Waltrip! His brother DW once said Mikey thinks he's all that but how is anyone really to know? He never had to pass anyone. He started up front & won races. He got in with the big boys & realized all the teams had money & much more talent behind the wheel. At the local series I think there is atleast one of these types at every track. Racing the owners son is even worse. (not that has to do with Joey) I wonder if Joey ever even got his hands dirty on the way up. it is simple. He doesnt know what anyone has gone through to get where they are at. How could he? He had everything handed to him. HeII he might have had the best silver spoon of all the rich kids. He had JGR backing him! So he gets to cup & realizes he is a small fish in the big pond, & all anyone ever does is make excuses why he isnt sliced bread. How many years do we have to hear that. How many years (experience) in cup before his youth isnt an excuse for not being a top driver. This series is the 1st time he has struggled & his spoiled A$S attitude reflects that. it isnt hiss youth or immaturity that makes him the way he is. It is the way he was brought up in the sport. There have been many young drivers in cup that didnt act like they are owed more than they deserve. The youth excuse is old & BS. You get respect on the track by the way you drive, not by the way you cry. it is never owed only earned. the rich kid cant be jusst given it or buy it. That is what he struggles with.

Sorry. Got carried away. I guess it is easy to see when you dealt with it before on the track. I dont really explain it well, but it isnt about being jealous of what they get & had vs. other who had to rely on talent alone making a mark in their series with lesser equipment. Quite frankly if he was one of those guys, he may have never been noticed in the first place. I am willling to bet any series he has been had more skilled drivers in that we will never hear of. Thus he was given his way up the ladder. Not so much earned. yes he was skillful enough to control the superior equipment, which made him look better than he is, but if he ever loses top equipment in cup, he will soon be gone. IMO

Oops. sorry did it again LOL

Like I said somewhere else on this site. It isnt just the money, it is the attitude behind it.
I dont think anyone will have issues with TY when he gets to cup & he had all good equipment as well.
ImageImageImage
<<

tlmerk

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:05 am

Curious what we all have to say about Jr. and if he applies to some of what is being discussed.... I've heard he never would have made it to the top without his daddy being a legend but I've seen that boy race his heart out and he seems humble much of the time (not always, I know).

Just curious if you guys believe he has a rep in the garage for the silver spoon mentality? And if he did, has he proven himself? I almost think his dad's name gives him a free pass anyway in some respect. It's like having a piece of his father still in NASCAR.
Where there's Smoke, there's fire!
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:08 am

tlmerk wrote:Curious what we all have to say about Jr. and if he applies to some of what is being discussed.... I've heard he never would have made it to the top without his daddy being a legend but I've seen that boy race his heart out and he seems humble much of the time (not always, I know).

Just curious if you guys believe he has a rep in the garage for the silver spoon mentality? And if he did, has he proven himself? I almost think his dad's name gives him a free pass anyway in some respect. It's like having a piece of his father still in NASCAR.

Intelligent fans, or at least ones with historical awareness, know that Dale Earnhardt wouldn't have given Earnhardt Jr. a shot if Junior didn't have the talent to make it on his own merits. And he proved him right, two Busch titles in his first two seasons, and a tremendous season as a rookie in the only year Earnhardt got to see him race. No he hasn't panned out into a legend on his father's level but he's been a good little race driver. Let the record show I was no Earnhardt fan and I'm not a big Junior fan, just speaking what I perceive to be the truth. Perceive being the key word since all any of us are really doing is giving our perceptions of reality.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:51 am

I dont think jr fits the spoiled everything is owed to me criteria. The media may want to give him everything, but I think he has the drivers respect. I want to believe (memory isnt what it once was) that Dale Sr. commented when his son was in a lesser series, he would have to prove himself, before he helped him. Could be wrong, but for some reason believe this was something he said.

Also remember him saying he thought Kelly was the best driver of the bunch, but she decided to go a different direction for career.
ImageImageImage
<<

Banjo14

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:21 am

It's fairly obvious that Earnhardt SR and Logano SR did not read the same book on child-raising. Sure, Joey got rushed into the big leagues when Tony left JGR; but when Jr was a teenager, Dale had him cleaning the barn. I imagine that there are lots of drivers who feel like Joey hasn't paid any dues, and he may be on the fast track to becoming another Casey Mears.
GO LIKE STINK, SHR!
<<

ndunn

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:49 pm

The above posts were most interesting. I have to agree with quite a bit that was posted. Mark Martin gave Logono the sliced bread gimmick as he'd been watching him before he ever got to NASCAR. That saying was meant for the "best thing to come along since" etc.etc. Myself I prefer paper plates ;) . I think DaleJunior is a whole different situation. His father put the bar very high and the kid had to beable to get there. When Jr. let his grades slide and he got a little to big for his britches he got sent to Military school. Dale wasn't very happy there but since then in an interview he stated it probably was the best thing his dad did for him. Dale Sr. gave the same line to Michael Waltrip as he did Jr. You either prove yourself or your out of here. Even tho Dale Sr. didn't see it Michael did get his first Daytona 500. And for Menard getting his ride isn't all fun and games as he said in an interview when things go bad he has to deal with the family. I guess they aren't always kind.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Rochelle

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:57 pm

I agree ndunn...

One thing I would add though is that just because Mark thought he was going to be good doesn't mean he'll actually turn out that way. Too many things can come into play that can change things. I do believe Joey would have been better off in NW for a couple of years and the fact that he didn't is JGR's fault. I don't know of any kid at his age that would have turned down that ride, but hindsight is always 20/20.

As far as Menard goes... Waste of a sponsorship for a team that wants a Cup championship but will never get one. He will never be one of the elite. I'd rather have to deal with my family than look for a quality ride with his driving skills. JMO, and I have plenty of them... :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

beaverpond

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:18 pm

I was doing some research into Logano's past and according to Wikipedia, they say that Randy LaJoie gave Logano the nickname of "sliced bread".

Also interesting is that he got his start in NASCAR in Camping World Truck, Nationwide, and Cup all in 2008.
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...
<<

ndunn

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:26 pm

beaverpond wrote:I was doing some research into Logano's past and according to Wikipedia, they say that Randy LaJoie gave Logano the nickname of "sliced bread".

Also interesting is that he got his start in NASCAR in Camping World Truck, Nationwide, and Cup all in 2008.

Happens all the time. The souce I read apparently was wrong. That souce was one of the reporters from ESPN. Shame on them.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

<<

ndunn

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:54 pm

I just went to Joey Logono website and according to it the name "sliced bread" was given to him at age 15 by Mark Martin. i have seen that before and never Randy LaJoie.

PreviousNext

Return to Tony