FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Wow what a wicked wreck!

<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:20 pm

Re: Wow what a wicked wreck!

TonyFan wrote:I just got back from the race and that was a crazy one. Fortunately I was up high in sprint tower and only had a front row view of it all. I don't think NASCAR is letting much out. There was radiator fluid spewed everywhere and LOTS of debris came through that fence. It's hard to believe though how safe NASCAR has made these cars, b/c Kyle Larson was lucky to walk away from that one.

glad to know you are ok
ImageImageImage
<<

TonyFan

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:24 pm

There was a tire that came over the catch fence. It made it all the way up to sprint tower. I think everybody was really scared for Kyle Larson, but he put his net down very fast and climbed right out of his car immediately!
<<

SunnyStar

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:28 pm

I couldn't believe it when I saw this wreck happen and what was left of Kyle Larson's car. I imagine there are fans with burns from the fluid that spewed from the radiator as well as injuries sustained from the tire and other debris that flew into the grandstand, possible breaks, concussions, etc. Something similar happened here at the Michigan race back in the 90's and three were killed I believe. Praying these fans will be alright. Knowing the Nascar family as the compassionate, caring people they are, they will reach out to help those who were injured. God's blessing to all.
<<

SunnyStar

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:31 pm

Just a PS - I'm happy Tony won the race, but I know this is not the way Tony ever wants to win a race. I'm sure he is very concerned for these fans.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:33 pm

i blame nascar for trying to put on a "show" they go out of their way to make sure all the cars are even so no one can dominate the race, also the "out of bounds" and then it puts the drivers in a position to block and eventually crash on the last lap, we go through this every year.....
<<

kim92164

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:44 pm

I know a friend of mine called me to see what had happened which I didn't know until I started searching on Yahoo. I hope Larson is thanking the good Lord for that miracle. I was scared the news would be worse for him, but thank God it wasn't. The fans are all in my prayers and thoughts.
<<

HTower

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:46 pm

Looks like Speed channel just finished their live coverage of the wreck and aftermath. I didn't watch straight through since it was filled with the predictable interviews and constantly repeating what they knew and didn't know. What was interesting though was the background shots of the Daytona Track Crew rebuilding the catch fence. Seems like they will be ready for the 500 tommorow.

What will be interesting is what NASCAR learns about how the #32 got airborne, and what happened to the frame that had the entire front end tore off up to the driver compartment.
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:01 pm

The way the front end of the #32 was shredded and parts came off of it, it looked like the catch-fence acted like a cheese grater against the car. Just my analogy.

Similar to the damage done to Carl's car at Dega in '09, but this was much more severe.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:03 pm

I wonder with all the technology they use to make the front end crumple to conserve the drivers health & disapate energy, if that is what helped the whole front end to get ripped off in the catch fence?
ImageImageImage
<<

Rochelle

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:37 pm

Wow, there were a lot more injured than they originally estimated. Has anyone heard anything about Michael Annett? They said he was still in the hospital from an earlier incident...
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:06 pm

Rochelle wrote:Wow, there were a lot more injured than they originally estimated. Has anyone heard anything about Michael Annett? They said he was still in the hospital from an earlier incident...

I heard posible chest injury. He is awake, alert and was geting an MRI.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:11 pm

Moment of impact. The section of fence had a cross-over gate. Something for NASCAR & track owners to possibly look at as a weak spot.

Impact1.jpg
Impact
Impact1.jpg (11.07 KiB) Viewed 560 times

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:15 pm

Rochelle wrote:Wow, there were a lot more injured than they originally estimated. Has anyone heard anything about Michael Annett? They said he was still in the hospital from an earlier incident...

Wendy said when she was at the hospital for the fans that Annett was being released
ImageImageImage
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:15 pm

I believe Annett has a bruised sternum or something. No surprise, that was a brutal shot even with the HANS and SAFER Barriers.

Praying for our fans that were hurt, especially the one with the head injury. Thankful to the Good Lord it wasn't worse because when I saw the tire go in and they mentioned it still had the suspension and brake assembly attached, I was fearing multiple fatalities like at the 1998 CART US 500 at Michigan (was watching that one) and the 1999 Indy Racing League race at Charlotte.

Also thankful Kyle and all the drivers were unhurt. That was brutal.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:21 pm

Bigger photo:

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
PreviousNext

Return to NASCAR & Racing