FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Danica takes Pole for Daytona 500

<<

ndunn

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:50 pm

Re: Danica takes Pole for Daytona 500

Like the gal or not the pole does mean something and one of those things is her pit stall. Danica cannot help who she is but she can enjoy what she has set out to do just like every other racer starting with the mooshiners for NASCAR and the rich boys that were the first Indy racers.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

smokieonefour

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:21 pm

Danica winning the pole is huge, for a number of reasons -

1) Never been done before - she is the First - no matter what - and no one can take that from her.

2) She did it under the SHR banner. Could we, as fans of this organization, ask for any better attention?

3) She broke a man's glass ceiling and to a lot of women - this is huge, as well.

4) To all those who say "it's not where you start, it's where you end" - - I would like to reply - - that Danica had the fastest car and was the fastest driver that day.

- - - - - -
Ok, we Danica fans get it - some of you don't like her.

Could you please be respectful and let us cheer when we want to cheer, without bringing us down or making us feel like we want to defend her?

I'll let Tony have the last word here -

From SHR Twitter page - -

David Newton ‏@DNewtonespn

Smoke on DP critics:

"Naysayers are people that aren't happy w/ their lives & have to bring somebody else's down to their level.'' #nascar

Retweeted by Stewart-Haas Racing
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:30 pm

this is where i stand, and its not because my life sucks or whatever tony thinks...

there have been women drivers BEFORE and certainly after her, the only reason she is where she is, she brought a sponsor with her, can you honestly sit there and tell me the year she had in NW last year that she performed her way into a cup ride? the only reason she made top ten in points last year is they stopped counting points for cup drivers, then not to mention the whole Jo long debate, here is a girl that just turned 20 and missed a quarter of the season due to sponsorship and in many races out performed danica, its all because danica has a face that appeals to certain people, but lets make a big hub bub when she gets to real tracks where driver skills come into play, so she won the pole, good for her, let me know how she does at the mile and half tracks, before she is anointed the greatest female athlete.
I miss you Frehley........
<<

kim92164

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:19 pm

I have a feeling that Danica will accomplish a good bit this year and I hope she does. I wasn't a fan of hers at first, but I am now. I still say: You Go Girl!!!!!
<<

wolfgang

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:34 pm

I have a feeling Nascars ratings have been down for so long and after Daytona the majority of the population still won't care about Nascar.The pole doesn't surprise me anymore than if she wins and we all know the results of making a winner out of someone back on this very day of 2001!!!
Nascar thus far has got what they wanted with Danica,a media frenzy,lets hope the race doesn't come to anything even simular to 2001.Nascar lost alot of fans back in 2001,this could backfire if this is what's in store,let alone anyone getting hurt.I'm not saying anything like this will happen,just saying it wouldn't surprise me pushing and blocking for her.Nascar now admits they screwed things up for some time now.This new car personally doesn't impress me at all just yet,but time will tell as the drivers who speak truth tell.
Still have the Duels to go yet!
WHEN THE GREEN FLAG DROPS, THE B.S. STOPS !
<<

BlackFlag

Post Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:16 pm

I hate to say it, but my prediction is that Danica will get wrecked in the duels and have to start the 500 in a back-up car at the rear of the field.
Danica earned the pole and I WANT to see her start up front, so I hope this doesn't actually happen.
My least favorite band in the history of music is called: Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.
<<

beaverpond

Post Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:24 pm

I know I picked her for the top 3 as that is what my daughter wanted. However, it would be best for her to drop to the rear of the field and just ride around to save the car.
<<

wolfgang

Post Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:56 pm

BlackFlag wrote:I hate to say it, but my prediction is that Danica will get wrecked in the duels and have to start the 500 in a back-up car at the rear of the field.
Danica earned the pole and I WANT to see her start up front, so I hope this doesn't actually happen.

Then again,she could start the 500 in a back up car and win, then the story would become even bigger. ;) I don't wish any bad luck on any driver and i figure if Trevor Bayne can do it,the same chances are there for anyone else.
<<

Jellikit

Post Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:49 pm

I just joined here, but I must say I'm surprised to see haters in here! :roll: Facebook and elsewhere..no shocker. But I would think most, if not all, contributors to this forum are knowledgeable race fans.
Winning the pole at Daytona is nothing to sneeze at. Being the first woman to do that, along with the first woman to ever lead at the Indy 500....well that is flat out impressive.
The pole at Daytona is by far the most important of any, as it shows what the TEAM (yes, that includes the driver) has accomplished in the long off season. When watching the qualifying, and they showed the shadow cars, it is clear that Danica ran a superior lap to everyone who challenged her for the top spot.
Congrats to the entire SHR team for an outstanding day. Now go kick some butt in the duals and fill up the second row :!:
<<

ndunn

Post Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:18 pm

I don't think Danica ever thought that her life as a female would draw so much attention and negativity. She deserves as much whoopla as the young guns and all that silly crap. Remember the season or 2 that was the big talk? I think it's grand she is bringing a sponsor with her. All the rest of the drivers on earth should be so lucky. Wait until most of the posters find out Michael Waltrip hired a female to work with Bowyers pit crew. All I remember her first name is Christmas. I read her background and she should be as good as what is out there.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

onerockindoc

Post Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:11 pm

Her name is Christmas Abbott and she is a beast( in a good way). She will be pitting Jenniifer Jo Cobb in of all things the 10 truck Friday night. She will be the 8th (wo) man over the wall for the 15 team on Sunday. I hope she shines and brightly.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Bob Marley
<<

wolfgang

Post Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:01 pm

According to the experts,Danicas pole was mostly the car and the fact she weighs less than all the other drivers.Still i do give her credit where credit is due, but until she actually wins a race unlike the only one she did in the IRL with fuel mileage,i've never seen anything impressive in her career outside a one top five point season in the IRL.
This opinion makes me a hater-so be it! :lol: Facts are facts and if she wasn't a female,she more than likely wouldn't be where she is today.What Nascar,the media or other drivers, ect.say mean nothing,the fact it's a promotional ploy to try and drag more fans into the sport is all i need to know as same for the push for minorities to get in.So far the only up and coming driver i'm anxious to see is Kyle Larson and Kevin Swindell.The gender or race of these two mean absolutely nothing to me,their talent is what interests me!! Yeeh ha a woman,what next the black,yellow or red person who is just out there and hasn't done anything but win a pole in top end equiptment to boot!!!
<<

Danicafan13

Post Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:09 pm

Go Danica ! Congrats and good luck !! We love you~have fun~go get 'em. We know you can do it !
<<

futura64

Post Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:58 am

wolfgang wrote: talent is what interests me!!

Open you eyes ...... and your MIND Wolfie. No one AND I MEAN NO ONE does this stuff without a #### of a lot of TALENT. Otherwise they don't get there in the first place. There aren't a hundred people on this planet they would let anywhere near one of these cars. I had the good fortune to be in the garages, pits and stands over this weekend back three years ago. They were running lap speeds up to 215. There was but one person there out of thousands upon thousands that could put the entire crowd on their feet. SHE did it .......TWICE. First on Briscoe's out lap and again a few minutes later when she pulled along side him (not shown.) I know I'll never forget it. She'd have won that race but for a couple of those stupid "Push to Pass" thingies. Have a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLgOWrlWAZo
Last edited by futura64 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
BudmaninTx
<<

Annalee

Post Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:38 am

smokieonefour wrote:Danica winning the pole is huge, for a number of reasons -

1) Never been done before - she is the First - no matter what - and no one can take that from her.

2) She did it under the SHR banner. Could we, as fans of this organization, ask for any better attention?

3) She broke a man's glass ceiling and to a lot of women - this is huge, as well.

4) To all those who say "it's not where you start, it's where you end" - - I would like to reply - - that Danica had the fastest car and was the fastest driver that day.

- - - - - -
Ok, we Danica fans get it - some of you don't like her.

Could you please be respectful and let us cheer when we want to cheer, without bringing us down or making us feel like we want to defend her?

I'll let Tony have the last word here -

From SHR Twitter page - -

David Newton ‏@DNewtonespn

Smoke on DP critics:

"Naysayers are people that aren't happy w/ their lives & have to bring somebody else's down to their level.'' #nascar
Retweeted by Stewart-Haas Racing

That was perfectly said........Thanks Smokie and Tony.... couldn't agree with you more!! My friend went to the Petty school of driving and drove five laps around Charlotte......this man was a former Navy Seal, who said it was one of the hardest things he has done and now has a new found appreciation for Nascar drivers...... And especially Danica who probably weighs maybe all of 100 lbs
soaking wet.....and another kudo needs to go to Tony Gibson and crew for giving her a great car.

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
PreviousNext

Return to Danica