Skip to content

CHASE BRISCOE – 2018 NXS Charlotte Roval Race Report

Date: Sept. 29, 2018
Event: Drive for the Cure 200 presented by Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina (Round 28 of 33)
Series: NASCAR Xfinity Series
Location: Charlotte (N.C) Motor Speedway (2.28-mile, 17-turn road course)
Format: 55 laps, broken into three stages (15 laps/ 15 laps/25 laps)
Start/Finish: 9th/1st (Running, completed 55 of 55 laps)

Race Winner: Chase Briscoe of Stewart-Haas Racing with Biagi-DenBeste (Ford)
Stage 1 Winner: Daniel Hemric of Richard Childress Racing (Chevrolet)
Stage 2 Winner: Christopher Bell of Joe Gibbs Racing (Toyota)

Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-15):

● Briscoe started ninth and finished 22nd
● Dropped from ninth to 12th in the opening lap while battling in traffic.
● Pitted under green from 11th on lap 12 for four tires and fuel.
● The early pit stop allowed him a better starting spot for Stage 2.

Stage 2 Recap (Laps 16-30):

● Briscoe started third and finished ninth
● Took the lead on lap 17 just seconds after the green flag flew to start Stage 2.
● Briscoe stretched his lead to two seconds.
● Briscoe again pitted early and dropped to tenth in order to gain a better starting position for the final stage.

Final Stage Recap (Laps 11-55):

● Briscoe started first and finished first.
● Took the green flag to start the stage and led until the checkered flag.
● Kept the lead through two full course cautions.
● Briscoe led second-place finisher Justin Marks across the finish line by 1.478 seconds.\

Notes:                   

● Saturday’s race marked Briscoe’s first career victory in his 14th career NASCAR Xfinity Series start and his fourth start in SHR’s No. 98 Ford Mustang.
● Briscoe’s victory in the Drive for the Cure 200 presented by Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina marked the 55th overall win for SHR.
● Five cautions slowed the race for 10 laps with 30 of the 40 drivers finishing on the lead lap.
● Saturday’s victory marked the second win for the No. 98 team. Kevin Harvick won on Feb. 24 at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
● Briscoe also won the July 18 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Eldora Speedway in Rossburg, Ohio.

Chase Briscoe, driver of the No. 98 Ford Mustang for Stewart-Haas Racing with Biagi-DenBeste:          

“I need to thank Ford Performance, Tony Stewart, Gene Haas, Fred Biagi, Bill DenBeste and everyone on the No. 98 and at SHR for the opportunity they gave me this year and this car today. I was holding back tears the last couple of laps. This year has not been by my standards anywhere near where it needs to be. We’ve wrecked a lot of race cars and I think my best finish was ninth, so I was really down on myself personally. I was just waiting for the caution to come out. I knew it was gonna come at some point and the restarts were crazy getting down into one. Luckily, the good Lord upstairs didn’t bring a caution and we were able to hold on.”