FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

End of Saturday's ARCA race, Racing Etiquette question

<<

HTower

Post Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:40 pm

End of Saturday's ARCA race, Racing Etiquette question

I was watching the ARCA race at Daytona this afternoon, and one of the announcers made what I thought was a stupid assertion.

Situation:
15 laps to go, Driver A(I can't remember names) is in 1st, being pushed by Driver B(who is 6 laps down) Closely followed by drivers C,D, and E (2nd, 3rd, and 4th place). Driver B had an electrical problem at the start of the race and that's why he lost 6 laps, he has been able to keep his track position behind 1st place for the last 40 laps or so, is a friend (teammate?) of Driver A and wants to help him win the race. The announcer said that driver B needed to fall back on purpose to let the lead lap cars have at it for the win.

He wasn't weaving back and forth, purposely blocking or anything, he was just tandem driving with 1st place. I didn't agree, if he can keep up with 1st place, let him stay there. As it turns out the driver in first place ran out of gas, so it didn't matter.

Was the announcer right? Does racing etiquette say that the lapped car needed to get out of the way despite keeping pace with the lead lap cars?
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: End of Saturday's ARCA race, Racing Etiquette question

nobody complained when kurt was drafting JR in 2004, kurt was a lap down and he was behind jr while laps cars were right behind kurt
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:25 pm

HTower wrote:I was watching the ARCA race at Daytona this afternoon, and one of the announcers made what I thought was a stupid assertion.

Situation:
15 laps to go, Driver A(I can't remember names) is in 1st, being pushed by Driver B(who is 6 laps down) Closely followed by drivers C,D, and E (2nd, 3rd, and 4th place). Driver B had an electrical problem at the start of the race and that's why he lost 6 laps, he has been able to keep his track position behind 1st place for the last 40 laps or so, is a friend (teammate?) of Driver A and wants to help him win the race. The announcer said that driver B needed to fall back on purpose to let the lead lap cars have at it for the win.

He wasn't weaving back and forth, purposely blocking or anything, he was just tandem driving with 1st place. I didn't agree, if he can keep up with 1st place, let him stay there. As it turns out the driver in first place ran out of gas, so it didn't matter.

Was the announcer right? Does racing etiquette say that the lapped car needed to get out of the way despite keeping pace with the lead lap cars?

Chris Buescher (the lapped car) did pull out & fall to the back of that draft before the leader ran out of gas. But to answer your question If I am a teammate, I stay & draft with the leader to help him win. Simply put. its good for the team.
Now if I wasnt a teammate, then I would get out of the way with a handful of laps to go. Which is what Buescher did.
ImageImageImage
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:39 pm

Announcers are just that.....they're in the booth for a reason. Most of them sucked as drivers and thus, they're in the booth. Maybe had they observed more than a "Holier than thou" attitude while they WERE racing, their careers would have had more highlights?? Just a thought. :shock: 8-)
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:58 am

is that why brad is in the booth already? he is washed up, haha
I will miss you Frehley........

Return to NASCAR & Racing