FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

MLB News and notes.............

<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:29 am

MLB News and notes.............

Target Field in the running......
mlb.com

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Target Field has been lauded with praise since the Twins kicked off their inaugural season in the ballpark last April. And now, the ballpark has been named a finalist for The Sports Facility of the Year Award by Street & Smith's Sports Business Journal and Sports Business Daily.

The winner of the award, which is given to new, renovated or established sports facilities in North America, will be announced on May 18 in New York City.

Along with Target Field, the other nominees for the award include Amway Arena (home of the Orlando Magic), Arrowhead Stadium (Kansas City Chiefs), Consol Energy Center (Pittsburgh Penguins), New Meadowlands Stadium (New York Giants/Jets), and Red Bull Arena (New York Red Bulls). "The Twins are honored to have been nominated for such a prestigious award," said Twins president Dave St. Peter. "We are immensely grateful to our many partners like Populous, Mortenson Construction, Hennepin County and the Minnesota Ballpark Authority, whose collaboration, ingenuity and support helped make Target Field such a landmark facility."
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:09 am

Re: MLB News and notes.............

I haven't looked much into Target Field (not a Twins fan, especially after hearing what I heard about the '91 World Series games that were held at the Metrodome, not to mention Bobblehead Gate) but I heard it was a huge hit last year. My question is how much will folks miss having a dome in Minnesota in the long term, with weather and all. Domed baseball stadiums are not great (used to think they were awesome when I was a kid) but I can understand why in certain places, climate makes it better to play in one.

Unfortunately, going back to what I heard about the Series (from a very reliable source at that), there are intricacies to playing in domes that aren't possible in open air. Not saying it's a rigged game, but there certainly is a home field advantage that stretches past what the team can do.

All that being said, I hope they lose, both on the field and in this deal. Sorry MJ.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:02 am

There is one Twin I'll be following though, I got Ben Revere's Topps Rookie Card yesterday, found out he's from Atlanta.

Got back into baseball card collecting this year, have gotten 72 2011 Topps total, about 50 of those are standard player cards with five duplicates. Only two Braves so far, Derek Lowe (got two of him) and Nate McLouth, but I've gotten a few star players like Cliff Lee, C.C. Sabathia, Chase Utley, Torii Hunter, Jonathon Papelbon, and others. Have got a lot of young players I'd never heard of, too, and six rookie cards: Revere, Gregg Halman, Cory Luebke, Jeremy Jeffress, Ozzie Martinez, and Darren Ford. Will be interesting to follow them this year.

I'm also planning to get one of the annual previews with the projected 40-man rosters for all the teams so I can know, for the most part since I know there are post-press trades and signings, who's with who. It's something I did when baseball was neck and neck with racing for me from '98-00, and it really helped my knowledge of the teams. Now, outside of the Braves roster, a few former Braves, and the main superstars, I can't name too many players for the other teams and I don't know much of anything about a lot of the stars, even, so it'll be educational.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:40 am

Smoke14TS wrote:I haven't looked much into Target Field (not a Twins fan, especially after hearing what I heard about the '91 World Series games that were held at the Metrodome, not to mention Bobblehead Gate) but I heard it was a huge hit last year. My question is how much will folks miss having a dome in Minnesota in the long term, with weather and all. Domed baseball stadiums are not great (used to think they were awesome when I was a kid) but I can understand why in certain places, climate makes it better to play in one.

Unfortunately, going back to what I heard about the Series (from a very reliable source at that), there are intricacies to playing in domes that aren't possible in open air. Not saying it's a rigged game, but there certainly is a home field advantage that stretches past what the team can do.

All that being said, I hope they lose, both on the field and in this deal. Sorry MJ.

well bein from minnesota and still having friends and family there, people are very excited to have the new stadium, people were not showing up to twins games in the summer months at the dome, because no one wants to sit inside while it is nice out, and, ill be going up there this summer for a couple games,
from what i remember aaron braves had plenty of chances to put the twins away in games, until kirby puckett sent one over the wall, also lonny smith forgot how to run the bases.
<<

jamo14

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:25 am

The Twins baseball field is really cool, especially with the tall buildings in the background..

I've also heard that Houston's ballpark is cool too.

I've been to the Old Comiskey Park, but not the new one. I was at a game there when the Yankees pitcher pitched a no-hitter and lost, due to the poor field play by the guys around him. I was a kid at the time, the Yankees sucked, and it was a Church Youth Group trip, and our teachers were/are HUGE White Sox fans :roll:

Another Church Youth Group trip we did was to Peoria Illinois to watch the Cubs minor league team play. At the time, Greg Maddux, Mark Grace, and Joe Girardi were playing there. And at the time, there was huge buzz about those guys. That was cool.

I've never been to a night game at Wrigley, only day games. Can't imagine going to a night game there anyhow, unless it's the playoffs, or in the case this year, The World Series 8-)
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:37 am

id love to see wrigley, and it would have to be a day game, no doubt, everytime i think of old cominsky i think of that year the ws wore short for their unies, not that im a homer, but target field came out nice, and i cant wait to see it, they built it on a old parking lot, they even had a webcam so you could watch the progress, i also like the pirates stadium, and the one for the nats.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:41 am

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Joe Mauer made another big step in his recovery from offseason surgery on his left knee when he made his first start behind the plate in Grapefruit League play on Saturday against the Rays.

Mauer, who caught right-hander Nick Blackburn for five innings, went 1-for-2 with a walk, an RBI and two runs in the Twins' 9-2 win at Hammond Stadium.

"I felt good today, and I feel good now," Mauer said. "But I'll probably be a little sore tomorrow. Everything is going as planned.

Mauer, who underwent minor surgery in December to alleviate irritation that was being caused by tissue in the lining of his left knee joint, actually made his debut at catcher on Thursday when he caught two innings in a Minor League game, but this was his first action behind the plate in a big league game this spring.

Mauer was even tested early defensively, when Reid Brignac, the game's second batter, dropped a bunt down the third-base line and beat out the throw from Mauer for an infield single. But Mauer was happy that he got that early test on a play he'll see plenty during the regular season.

"It was interesting," Mauer said with a smile. "That's baseball. It usually finds you when you first get out there. But it was a play I'll need to make later, so it was good to get it out of the way."

Mauer looked like his usual self at the plate, though, grounding out on a hard-hit ball to first base in his first at-bat before drawing a walk in the third inning. He then drove home his first run of Spring Training with a single up the middle in the fourth inning.

But Mauer, who went 1-for-3 as the club's designated hitter on Wednesday in his only other appearance in Grapefruit League play, said he's more worried about his defense than his offense at this point.

"I feel pretty good, timing-wise," Mauer said. "I've had some good at-bats. But I think that's further down the list. I'm trying to get my strength and legs underneath me to get ready for the season."

Mauer is not ready to catch every day, but Twins manager Ron Gardenhire has been pleased with his progress and has already come up with a plan to make sure he'll be available for Opening Day.

"I've come up with a schedule for the rest of Spring Training for him, and I told him today that it's all written out and it's what we're going to do," Gardenhire said. "He said he's good with that, so we'll see where he's at by the end of Spring Training and go from there."

Gardenhire also joked that there's a bright side to Mauer's spring, as he'll certainly be well-rested heading into the regular season.

"He should be fresh," Gardenhire said with a laugh. "I look at the positives. Some people think he'll need more catching, but I think he'll be fresh. I've seen him do it before."

Mauer, however, noted that he might have to take some days off in April, considering the club has just one off-day over the first 21 days of the season.

"I'll be ready to go but I guess I might take it a little bit easier in April," Mauer said. "But I'm going to be honest with Gardy and go from there."

That honesty was also apparent when Mauer admitted he's trying not to think too far ahead, given the fact that he's still trying to work on building strength in his surgically repaired knee.

"I'm more worried about today and tomorrow," Mauer said. "We'll get there when we get there. But I felt great today, and I'm looking forward to seeing how I feel tomorrow."

Rhett Bollinger is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter @RhettBollinger. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:42 am

not trying to be a homer with the posts, i do look for stories about the teams that most of us are interested in..
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:18 pm

3 days left before the greatest sport gets going..........
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:13 pm

Just watched MLB Network's 30 Clubs in 30 Days episode on the Braves, I'm pretty darn excited about what's gonna be goin' on at The Ted this year. We've got great young players like Heyward and Freddie Freeman, we've got Chipper Jones who has been literally tearing the cover off baseballs this spring, we have a rotation that might not get the headlines the Phillies get, but it is just as solid and a bullpen that is rock-solid. Anything less than another NL East crown, to me, will be a major disappointment, but I think a National League pennant is a very real possibility with this team.

<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:20 pm

that is what i like about the NL, they have some great teams, but they dont stockpile players, opps i mean BUY, like the yankees and redsox, and any one team can win the league, something tells me the braves can be this years giants, if ya dont watch out they will sneak up and win it all, i like the fact they have a good farm system, just like the twins, maybe we will get lucky and have a 20 yr anniversary series, now that kick butt!
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:40 pm

I've kind of got that going on the 78 game season I just finished in the old SNES Ken Griffey Jr. game. Just swept the Pirates to win the NLCS, Twins beat the Angels 4-1 to win the ALCS.

The National League is the better league, in my opinion. Like you said, teams don't stockpile huge players. There might be a few teams that can't win, but there is no team that is going to flat out dominate like the '98 Yankees or the '01 Mariners. Plus, it's pure, true baseball. No DH means more strategy and I think it makes the starting pitchers we have in the NL better than the AL pitchers, because they still have to bat.

<<

Smoke14TS

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:43 pm

Granted the DH has prolonged some great careers (Frank Thomas) and has led to some great moments in the AL, where you theoretically have your nine-best hitters, not eight good hitters and what should be an easy out like in the NL, but I think it needs to go.

<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:40 am

i dont have any feeling about the DH, since i grew up watching AL baseball, however i do admit i love the chess game aspect of it in the NL, especially when a top pitcher is in there and you dont know whether to keep him in or not.
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:02 am

Just from playing the video games as the Braves, I've gotten a real feel of that, especially in the eighth inning of a pitcher's duel when you've got a guy in scoring position and the nine-hole comes up. Do you try to get that insurance run with a pinch hitter or do you stick it out with your pitcher and hope he's got another good inning left?

Plus, you have to consider your bullpen and how good they are. For some reason, I have poor luck with bullpens. My two most-played games are the Ken Griffey Jr. game from '94 and Triple Play 2000, which used the '99 rosters, and I struggle at times with giving up home runs with my relievers or closers. Doesn't matter in a blowout, but in those tight ones it makes all the difference. I've blown more than my share of saves with Mike Stanton and John Rocker, respectively. I think of my 14 losses in that 78 game season I mentioned, more than half were charged to the 'pen, while my starters only got blown out three times (once each Tom Glavine, Steve Avery, and Pete Smith. Maddux won every start and Smoltz won nine with six no-decisions). So when you've got a reliable starter that's not fatigued, it really makes you think and strategize.

On the other hand, I played a 26-game season with the Mariners just so I could use Ken Griffey Jr. and Edgar and Tino Martinez, three of my all-time favorites, and I don't think I ever used a guy off my bench because there were no situations where I needed a pinch-hitter. If you're down late in an AL game, your best bets are already in the lineup. It's like a dumbed-down version of the game. There are AL managers I respect (and I love Ozzie Guillen) but I think the guys that have won tons of games and division titles in the NL (Bobby Cox, Tony LaRussa since 1996, etc.) are better because of the additional strategy necessary.

Next

Return to The Lobby