FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Doing the Double?....... Penske offer

<<

Annalee

Post Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:15 pm

Doing the Double?....... Penske offer

What do you think? I'd love to see him try, .............I just don't see that happening! But who knows?.... Stranger things have happened. I could see him driving for AJ Foyt.....don't know what Chevrolet would say about that.......I am not sure what manufacturer Penske's Indy cars are??....it was interesting that Tony received the verbal offer at Brad's Championship dinner.........

If he does, my money is on Tony!! :)

LAS VEGAS (AP)
If Tony Stewart wants to run the Indianapolis 500 next season, Roger Penske will give him a car.

STAR POWER
Three-time champ Stewart's impact goes beyond driving. Check out his top accomplishments.
Penske twice Friday night offered Stewart the chance to enter next year's race and insisted he's serious about the opportunity.

''Where's Stewart?'' Penske asked during his speech accepting the Sprint Cup trophy during NASCAR's season-ending awards ceremony. ''How about doing the double at Indy this year? You available?''

The banquet room at Wynn Las Vegas Resort broke out into laughter, but Penske later insisted he was serious.

''If he wants to do the double, I'd put him in it,'' Penske said. ''We've talked about it before. I guess I made it official tonight.''

Stewart was not immediately available for comment.

Penske-owned cars have won the Indianapolis 500 15 different times, but not since Helio Castroneves' 2009 victory.

CELEBRATION TIME
NASCAR's top Sprint Cup drivers are lighting up Las Vegas.
The Indy 500 is Stewart's favorite race, but he has not entered it since 2001.

NASCAR's three-time champion twice attempted to run both the Indy 500 and NASCAR's Coca-Cola 600 on the same day: In 1999, he was ninth at Indy and fourth at Charlotte, and in 2001, he was sixth at Indy and third at Charlotte.

He hasn't tried Indianapolis since, and has seemingly let go of his childhood dream of winning the 500. He has twice won the Brickyard 400, NASCAR's race at storied Indy.

''The hard part for me was you make that decision when you sign up to do (NASCAR),'' Stewart said last January. ''The decision you make, you have to come to peace with yourself with saying `I'm not going to do this.' That was my childhood dream anyway. It was hard knowing when I signed that (NASCAR) contract that I was writing off the opportunity to go race at Indy.

''It's figuring out at the end of the day what do you really want to do. I guess that's the part that even though it was hard to watch opening day of practice at Indianapolis, I'm enjoying what I'm doing, too, and this is what I want to do at the end of the day. It makes you want 30-hour days and 400-day years and we always want to do more than what we're capable of doing, but the reality is you have to pick at some point and choose your career path. This is what I've done.''

Stewart ran the Indy 500 five times, winning the pole as a rookie in 1999 and leading 44 laps before his engine failed. His highest finish was fifth in 1997.

CONNERY IS PUMPED
We're not sure if Sir Sean is pumped at the thought of Tony Stewart racing the Indy 500 again, but he is pumped about these things.
Penske said it would have to take some scheduling adjustments between IndyCar and NASCAR in order for Stewart to run the Indy 500 and the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway, and he's not sure the two series could work together to make it happen.

''Like Republicans and Democrats, it's hard to get them on the same page,'' Penske said. ''IndyCar and NASCAR, getting them on the same page to do a double, might be a difficult task.''

But he said adding Stewart to the Indy 500 would be good for the race and IndyCar, and Penske Racing could pull it off.

''You could put something that could be pretty good,'' Penske said. ''But I said earlier that it's hard to get the two series together on anything, and you'd have to make it work so he could get back and forth and make it be meaningful for our team. It wouldn't be worth it for him or for us if it wasn't for a full effort.''
Image"Fight for Four".......................me
<<

classic_chevy

Post Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:40 pm

Re: Doing the Double?....... Penske offer

Penske does run Chevrolets for his Indy car teams its a perfect fit.
<<

smoke14rulez

Post Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:45 pm

Tony's in NO shape to even try this at this point. He didn't look so great after the 600 either year and that was 12 years ago...love to have seen him win the 500, but...I don't think there's a snowballs chance in hades.
Image Image
...is that a breadstick or are you just happy to see me?
<<

NascarNanaOK

Post Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:36 pm

It would be super special to see Tony run both races again. But aside the problems of scheduling, I have my doubts that it is something Tony would want to do at this stage of his life. For me, that is perfectly understandable.

Luv Ya, Tony. Do what is best for you!
14 to win in '14

He has Risen!

Nascar Nana OK
<<

kathy169

Post Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:22 pm

I would love to see him do it. If anyone can accomplish it that would be Tony. He is one of the most versatile racers I have seen. He can race anything anywhere. I know he isn't in the greatest shape but he would have a few months to get into shape if he accepted. I just want to see him accomplish everything he can before he calls it a day someday.
He doesn't have blood in his veins he has motor oil. He lives and breathes the sport. Either decision he makes I will respect and support but I would love to see him try one more time.
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:34 am

Tony needs to lose about 30 lbs, tighten things up and work on some endurance......We'll see.
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

wolfgang

Post Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:16 pm

midwesternsmoke wrote:Tony needs to lose about 30 lbs, tighten things up and work on some endurance......We'll see.

Can't fit in the cockpit? :lol:
<<

dirt93

Post Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:00 am

He fit in the seat when he traded cars with Lewis Hamilton for that ride swap thing..... Smoke could do it.
Here kitty kitty.. come get you some of this!!
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:49 am

ya they greased his hips so he could slide in and out, maybe he should hang out with JJ for 3 months to workout, JJ has been in a couple mini triathlons, and thats no joke, if he was to do the double, he has to lose the gut and do major cardio.
<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:05 pm

Even IMS is willing to back the starting time to 11 AM instead of noon if he wishes to participate so it's easier on him to make the 600.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20121204/SPORTS0107/121204018/IMS-willing-adjust-Indy-500-schedule-Tony-Stewart-wants-in?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Indianapolis%20Sports&nocache=1&nclick_check=1
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

smoke14rulez

Post Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:46 pm

...he declined, figured he would.

#14-Tony Stewart has passed up a chance to race for Roger Penske in the Indianapolis 500. The three-time NASCAR champion said Wednesday at the International Motorsports Industry Show that he wouldn't attempt to race in both the Indy 500 and NASCAR's Coca-Cola 600 on the same day. Penske extended the invitation last week in Las Vegas while accepting the Sprint Cup trophy. Later, when given the chance to shrug it off as a lighthearted moment with Stewart, Penske insisted he was very serious. There has been a push to get Stewart to race in Indianapolis since Penske made the offer, with Indianapolis Motor Speedway starting an online petition for fans to encourage the driver to accept the ride. The Indiana native twice ran both the Indy 500 and Coca-Cola 600 on the same day. In 1999, he was ninth at Indy and fourth at Charlotte, and in 2001, he was sixth at Indy and third at Charlotte.(Associated Press)(12-5-2012)
Image Image
<<

NascarNanaOK

Post Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:53 pm

Received an email from IMS:

"Thanks for voicing your support for Roger Penske’s offer to field a car for Tony Stewart in the 2013 Indianapolis 500.

While “Smoke” has said he won’t drive a Penske car next May, his reasons for declining the offer are as valid in 2013 as they have been in each of the 96 previous years this majestic race has been run. “The Greatest Spectacle in Racing” takes total commitment and focus to win, and we know that both Roger Penske and Tony Stewart only come to Indy to reach Victory Lane."
14 to win in '14

He has Risen!

Nascar Nana OK
<<

HTower

Post Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:17 pm

Which is a statement written by a PR person. Still a good reason though.
<<

smoke14rulez

Post Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:10 pm

"As much as I would like to do it, we just don't have the time to do it proper," Stewart said. "The IRL is so competitive now, you're not going to just show up like drivers used to do in the past and be competitive. These guys don't leave anything on the table there. You're not going to stroll into the Indy 500 with these guys who race every week and be as competitive as they are. It was a very humbling comment and offer that he made, for sure," said Stewart, booed by fans when he made the announcement. "I'm very humbled by the fact that he offered it to us. It's a great opportunity, but it's very hard when you're running three Cup teams right now and the obligations that we have making sure that we're doing the right things, we have a lot of people that depend on us. & It's kind of like being at Thanksgiving dinner. My plate is finally full. I don't know if I can add anymore to what I have right now." He left open the possibility of racing for Penske at some point. "I'm not going to do it this year, but there's nothing saying that down the road that I may not take him up on that same offer," Stewart said.(USA Today)(12-6-2012)
Image Image
<<

Annalee

Post Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:57 pm

Not in 2013...........but that door wasn't closed, he left it open. I think his so very busy with other obligations........Trucks to Eldora, possible Fourth car......Harvick, new 2013 car and running SHR....I know he has a lot of people to help him and as always, the ultimate responsibility is always on his shoulders...... But I think we do know one thing with Tony, his ultimate dream is to win Indy and Daytona..........His best chance for Indy is with Penske and I think he will do it, not this year but sometime soon! Daytona is the other and that is not "if", it is when! Or WIN! :)
Image"Fight for Four".......................me
Next

Return to Tony