FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Steve Addington wins "Top Award"

<<

Annalee

Post Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:06 pm

Steve Addington wins "Top Award"

WTG STEVE.........nice paycheck!!!

Tony Stewart Crew Chief Steve Addington Wins $100,000 MOOG ‘Problem Solver of the Year’ Award

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
…Steve Addington capped his first year as crew chief for 2011 NASCAR® Sprint Cup champion Tony Stewart by winning one of the sport’s most prestigious and hotly contested honors – the $100,000 MOOG® Steering and Suspension “Problem Solver of the Year” Award. Addington clinched the award during Sunday’s season-ending Ford EcoBoost 400 at Homestead-Miami (Fla.) Speedway.

Sponsored by global vehicle components manufacturer Federal-Mogul Corporation (NASDAQ: FDML), the annual MOOG award is presented to the Sprint Cup crew chief who finishes the year with the

most weekly MOOG “Problem Solver of the Race” Awards. The weekly MOOG award goes to the crew chief whose car posts the greatest improvement in average lap speed from the first to the second half of the race while finishing on the lead lap. Addington finished with five weekly MOOG wins – at Darlington, Pocono, Daytona, Richmond and Kansas. Steve Letarte, crew chief for Dale Earnhardt Jr. (No. 88 Chevrolet), Martin Truex Jr. (No. 56 Toyota) crew chief Chad Johnston, and Matt Puccia, crew chief for Greg Biffle (No. 16 Ford) each had four weekly Problem Solver wins.

“The ability to solve tough problems under pressure is one of the most important skills for a Sprint Cup crew chief,” said Michael Proud, director of marketing, North America, Federal-Mogul. “Races are won and lost not only on the track but also on pit road, where professionals like Steve make split-second decisions and ultra-precise adjustments that have a huge effect on their cars’ performance. We established the MOOG Problem Solver awards to put these highly skilled professionals in the spotlight where they belong.”

Addington, a native of Spartanburg, S.C., has won 19 races since landing his first Sprint Cup assignment in 2005. He was named crew chief of the No. 14 team immediately following the 2011 season. Stewart and Addington finished ninth in points with one pole, three wins and 12 top-five and 16 top-10 finishes.

“Steve had an uncanny ability to find the right chassis setup for virtually any track condition this year. He and Tony made a lot of progress together and I’m certain they’ll be back in the hunt for a Sprint Cup title in 2013,” said Federal-Mogul Motorsports Director Tim Nelson. “One thing they have in common with virtually every other team is their reliance on precision-engineered MOOG steering and suspension components.”

Addington will receive the $100,000 MOOG Problem Solver of the Year check and distinctive MOOG ball joint trophy during the annual NMPA Myers Brothers Award Luncheon, November 29 in Las Vegas.

Matt Puccia was the winner of Sunday’s weekly MOOG Problem Solver award after the No. 16 Ford delivered a race-best 0.294-second improvement over the final 134 laps at Homestead. The No. 16 car started 13th and finished fifth.

MOOG Steering and Suspension components are the leading choice of automotive repair professionals and top crew chiefs and have helped drive an unprecedented 46 consecutive NASCAR Cup champions to victory.

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

HTower

Post Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:26 pm

Re: Steve Addington wins "Top Award"

Not to be a downer, but isn't this award basically given to whichever CC presides over the car which he can't figure out how to setup during practice and qualifying? He needs the extra 100-200 laps to figure out what to do? :?:

Congrats on the paycheck.
<<

ndunn

Post Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:30 pm

Wow that is awesome. Looks like the guy made a great move when he went to SHR. Congtrats to Steve.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

smoke14rulez

Post Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:01 pm

HTower wrote:Not to be a downer, but isn't this award basically given to whichever CC presides over the car which he can't figure out how to setup during practice and qualifying? He needs the extra 100-200 laps to figure out what to do? :?:

Congrats on the paycheck.

...exactly what I wuz' thinkin'...now, get the set up right and you MIGHT actually be a Championship CC... ;) :roll:
Image Image
...is that a breadstick or are you just happy to see me?
<<

ndunn

Post Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:41 pm

At least $100,000 bucks is $100,000 bucks and I doubt Steve will give it back.........
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

<<

HiddenHollow

Post Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:16 pm

I sure wouldn't give it back. ;) :lol:
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

ndunn

Post Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:13 pm

I've never paid much attention to the awards that are given out and I'm glad to see some of the companies putting up the prize money for those other than the drivers. This award given to Steve has got to fire him up for the 2013 season. The broadcaster from Speed said yesterday that Junior won his popularity contest again. I wish he'd take his name out of the contest just like Bill Elliott did. But I'm sure Junior Nation would have a rip roaring fit if he did.

<<

HTower

Post Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:15 pm

ndunn wrote:I've never paid much attention to the awards that are given out and I'm glad to see some of the companies putting up the prize money for those other than the drivers. This award given to Steve has got to fire him up for the 2013 season. The broadcaster from Speed said yesterday that Junior won his popularity contest again. I wish he'd take his name out of the contest just like Bill Elliott did. But I'm sure Junior Nation would have a rip roaring fit if he did.

They need a second place trophy
<<

ndunn

Post Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:09 pm

HTower wrote:
ndunn wrote:I've never paid much attention to the awards that are given out and I'm glad to see some of the companies putting up the prize money for those other than the drivers. This award given to Steve has got to fire him up for the 2013 season. The broadcaster from Speed said yesterday that Junior won his popularity contest again. I wish he'd take his name out of the contest just like Bill Elliott did. But I'm sure Junior Nation would have a rip roaring fit if he did.

They need a second place trophy

That sounds like a great idea. Junior gets big sponsor money for that very trophy. There was a story about that on a site of one of the TV sites. That great for him but I assume the others drivers would like a slice of some of that.

<<

classic_chevy

Post Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:44 pm

I can't believe Tony fell to 4th on the list this year.

Return to Tony