FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

first woman in nascar.. Scho got me thinking on this..

<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:59 am

first woman in nascar.. Scho got me thinking on this..

her name was Sara Christian, she competed in NASCAR's first race on June 19, 1949 at Charlotte Speedway. She qualified 13th in the #71 Ford owned by her husband Frank Christian. she competed in 7 races over 2 years and had 2 top tens....
I miss you Frehley........
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:03 am

Re: first woman in nascar.. Scho got me thinking on this..

ok, another website has a woman called louise smith the first woman in nascar, started in the 40's and competed in 30 races, so i will have to investigate to see which is legit....

please add to it if anyone has knowledge of other women drivers
I miss you Frehley........
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:13 am

michaeljohn wrote:ok, another website has a woman called louise smith the first woman in nascar, started in the 40's and competed in 30 races, so i will have to investigate to see which is legit....

please add to it if anyone has knowledge of other women drivers

well if Christian was in the very 1st Nascar race, I am gonna bet on her being the 1st.
Maybe Smith was the 1st regualr in the series? Image

2 top tens in 7 races (28.57 %) that is better than .................... ah, nevermind! :roll: :mrgreen: Image
ImageImageImage
<<

racer1

Post Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:46 pm

Speaking of Sarah Christian, I believe she was the one who held the "best finish" of 5th for a female driver untill Danica got 4th and broke it at Vegas last Yr--over 60 yrs later--just saying. Also as Despain on Windtunnel commented on that when it happened, he said Sarah was 10 laps down and still finished 5th--as Despain said--reallly--what kind of race was that, as races back then were supposed to be good--his comments? I've heard there werent that many drivers even in the field back then as they all couldnt have crashed out or just went down over 10 laps maybe?

Oh well-- females breaking ground opening doors for others has happenned in most all sports but its how they are remembered that matters most i guess? 8-)

Return to NASCAR & Racing