FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Post Charlotte - Halfway through the Chase

<<

HTower

Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:01 pm

Post Charlotte - Halfway through the Chase

post charlotte.gif
post charlotte.gif (21.98 KiB) Viewed 483 times

The 2, 11 and 48 dominated this race, until fuel strategy ended Brad's chances for a win. Was it only 6 cars on the lead lap at the end? Am I the only one who is dissappointed that the cars now know so accurately how far they can go? The end of the race the broadcast team was repeating comments from crew chiefs telling them "you can make it to the finish line, but will end up running out of fuel on the back straightaway afterwards." Where's the mystery gone? But since teams do have that data available to them, how did Brad manage to screw up so badly and run out of fuel on the race track?

I thought Tony did a decent job out there, started 32(another bad qualifying job) but finished 13th. We saw him floating around in 7th for a while during the mid part of the race. Unfortunately they had that collision with the 2 early on during a restart, and that messed with the aerodynamic setup of the car. I don't know about the rest of you, but while watching the pit crew take hammers to the hood of the car to reshape it, I knew that he didn't have a chance for the win.

Gordon got what was coming to him for setting such a horrible example for athletes everywhere. "I would have staid quiet and raced." A speeding penalty helped put him in 18th position.

Regan Smith looked good early, but blew his engine. I hope we find out what happened and that it was mechanical rather than driver error. If he Over-revved his engine on pit road causing it to blow won't help him get a ride next year. Passing Kurt so smoothly during the early laps must have put a smile on his face though.

Carl Edwards sighting! Only with that paint job, I wish I hadn't seen it.

The 51 car found a driver after all, the Dinger drove around the track with a smile etched on the hood of his car. Welcome back to racing, now stay off the drugs.
<<

Rochelle

Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:22 pm

Re: Post Charlotte - Halfway through the Chase

You can thank the electronic fuel system for the mileage accuracy. Since they got off sequence, I think they were trying to stretch it a little too far. Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't. Fuel mileage is still a gamble, depending on how well the driver is at saving. And like they say, you can't win them all. I didn't mind Brad losing this one, sometimes a little humility is good for the soul...

Speaking of souls, seeing Regan pass the 78 was good for mine. Blown engine or not, he was on it :D

AJ's run was decent and brought the car home in one piece. Something Finch hasn't seen much this year, hence, the happy face. I think he did well after not being in a car for over 3 months.

I've never missed flipper being in the top ten so that was not a sight for sore eyes :D
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

Rochelle

Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:43 pm

I was just watching a replay of Victory Lane and Paul said they didn't get all the fuel in and that's why Brad ran out.

I don't like fuel mileage races but they seem to be the norm lately.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

Annalee

Post Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:59 am

EFI system has really helped Fuel mileage, but teams still are having problems with getting the fuel from the tank into the car......I wanted Regan Smith to do well! The stands all cheered when he passed Kurt. :)

On a good note for Tony, he was truly very happy with his car, after everything that happened to him. Steve and the crew had really dialed it in for him. He said it was the best car he had ever driven at Charlotte......The engine problem with Ryan and Regan seems to be their Achilles heel that needs to be solved.

"Fight for Four".......................me
I # Support Smoke

Return to NASCAR & Racing