FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Earnhardt Jr. has concussion and will miss next two races

<<

Rochelle

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Earnhardt Jr. has concussion and will miss next two race

HTower wrote:after reading the article above, Jr, take the rest of the year off and get yourself straight. We'll see you again at Daytona. Concussions are serious things, and yours has been untreated for weeks before you suffered a 2nd one last weekend. :(

I actually agree HTower. Concussions get progressively worse which is why with the lesser impact at Talledega, he had symptoms by the next day. At least there wasn't anything on the MRI and wasn't nauseated nor had blurred vision. But, he can't finish worse than 12th which is where he'll end up anyway. Look at how long Eric McClure was out, what 6 weeks. He may have had more symptoms, but this is Jr's 2nd this year.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:39 am

I watched the wreck......COUNTLESS TIMES, how does this cause a concussion for Joooooonyer?? I think he got the "Finger Shake" from NASCAR. I think they told him to HHHUUUSSSHHH. 8-)
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

HTower

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:54 am

midwesternsmoke wrote:I watched the wreck......COUNTLESS TIMES, how does this cause a concussion for Joooooonyer?? I think he got the "Finger Shake" from NASCAR. I think they told him to HHHUUUSSSHHH. 8-)

Junior is the NASCAR equivalent of the PGA's Tiger Woods ratings wise. If Tiger isn't in the hunt for a PGA victory on Saturday and Sunday, ratings are half of what they would be otherwise. NASCAR wouldn't bench Jr. for mouthing off. If they benched people for mouthing off, why did Tony race the next weekend after throwing his helmet at Kenseth?
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:07 am

HTower wrote:
midwesternsmoke wrote:I watched the wreck......COUNTLESS TIMES, how does this cause a concussion for Joooooonyer?? I think he got the "Finger Shake" from NASCAR. I think they told him to HHHUUUSSSHHH. 8-)

Junior is the NASCAR equivalent of the PGA's Tiger Woods ratings wise. If Tiger isn't in the hunt for a PGA victory on Saturday and Sunday, ratings are half of what they would be otherwise. NASCAR wouldn't bench Jr. for mouthing off. If they benched people for mouthing off, why did Tony race the next weekend after throwing his helmet at Kenseth?

Tony isn't Joooooonyer......Jooooooonyer could kill the POPE, and the WORLD would justify EVERYTHING....
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

Rochelle

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:11 am

I don't do the conspiracy theory stuff. Even the elf only got suspended one race for being a jerk when he was on probation. The concussion is much more realistic. The test crash he had was not the first time Jr neglected to tell anyone he had a concussion. Some people are more susceptible than others. Plus concussions do happen more easily once you've had them. He probably wasn't completely healed before the Talledega carmageddon. If he's smart, he'll sit out a while. Look at Troy Aikman, he may have played a while longer if he'd sat out a few games. Racing is a little like football, you never know when someone is going to tackle or wreck you. Jr makes a ton of money, it's not worth the headache... :mrgreen:
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

HTower

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:31 am

midwesternsmoke wrote:
HTower wrote:

Tony isn't Joooooonyer......Jooooooonyer could kill the POPE, and the WORLD would justify EVERYTHING....

So you disagree with your own statement on it being a conspiracy then? :lol:
<<

HTower

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:25 am

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/st ... ks-volumes
On the one hand, Earnhardt came off as heroic for having the guts to step forward with symptoms that forced Dr. Jerry Petty of NASCAR to not give the driver medical clearance to compete in Saturday night's Sprint Cup race at Charlotte Motor Speedway and next weekend's race at Kansas.

On the other hand, he admitted to hiding the symptoms for six weeks after suffering a hard crash during an Aug. 29 test at Kansas. He admitted that for the sake of competing for a title, he pushed forward even though he knew something wasn't right, even though side effects from the impact potentially put him and others at risk.

Hid as in lied to a doctor checking him out after the crash? :shock:

NASCAR can build the safest car on the planet, which it almost has done, but officials can't make drivers come forward with symptoms that might cost them everything they've worked a lifetime for.

The NFL has trained professionals on the sidelines to evaluate potential concussions, I would have thought any driver being checked out in the medical center would go through a concussion screening process.

But NASCAR is different than most sports. When a player is sidelined in the NFL, a backup steps in and the team continues with its goal to win a title. The injured player still can win the championship with his team when he comes back.

When a driver is sidelined, he loses any chance to win a championship, or to even have a high finish in points.

Is that right? I thought it was the car that won points, not just the driver. If Regan Smith were to go out and win the next two races(unlikely, I know) wouldn't Jr have those points for his car if/when he does come back?
<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:45 am

there are driver points and owner points, as long as a driver starts a race, he will be rewarded points, even if he or she is replaced during the race.

owner points are just that, it doesnt matter who drivers the car, MWR car 55 is in the top 15 in oqner points even tho it has had 3 different drivers.
<<

DanicaFan

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:15 pm

Concussion aside... I havent seen anyone cry so much as Dale Jr did after the race. " This isnt racing. I dont even want to come back to Daytona and Talladega next year. If this how its going to be, I dont want to do this anymore. "
<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:20 pm

i dont think its crying, that isnt racing when cars just pile on top of each other, not to mention losing his dad on a plate track, i can think of many drivers that vented like he has when they crashed on a plate track.....
<<

DanicaFan

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:22 pm

michaeljohn wrote:i dont think its crying, that isnt racing when cars just pile on top of each other, not to mention losing his dad on a plate track, i can think of many drivers that vented like he has when they crashed on a plate track.....

No, he was whining, plain and simple! If he had made it through, he wouldnt of made comments near to that degree.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:30 pm

lets not kid ourselves, every driver does it, as you put it "whine" ryan, tony, jj, kyle, matt k, biffle and even the gal you support, the list is endless, name me a driver who has never "whine" and i will drop this. it is heat of the moment all types of emotions going on, and i dont judge a driver if they "whine" about something they just went through.
<<

DanicaFan

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:33 pm

michaeljohn wrote:lets not kid ourselves, every driver does it, as you put it "whine" ryan, tony, jj, kyle, matt k, biffle and even the gal you support, the list is endless, name me a driver who has never "whine" and i will drop this. it is heat of the moment all types of emotions going on, and i dont judge a driver if they "whine" about something they just went through.

I agree to an extent but what he said isnt something I would want to hear my driver say as an owner.

Tony Stewart, the one who caused the big mess didnt cry about it. He most likely took himself out of the championship but he didnt whine about it. In fact, his post race interview was funny.... When he said he was a finely tuned athlete...lol He took full blame and went about his business..

Yeah, the crash was bad. It took a lot of good drivers out of it but that is Talladega. It's the nature of the beast. Dale knows it, the drivers and teams know it, NASCAR knows it, and the fans know it. So, its not something new to whine about.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:44 pm

im one of the few that didnt find the humor in tony's interview, and when it comes to what tony did, he initiated the crash, and this comes from the man who says he hates blocking and will wreck anyone who attempts to block him..

i think the reason was upset is because nascar has changed the packaged so many times in the last 3 years, to the point that the cars only have a 6 inch by 12 inch opening for air, cars were never set up like that in the past except for qualifying, ryan who has the crappiest luck on plate tracks would always be vocal bein against these tracks, he would always say " this is what the fans want, and nascar wont change their minds until someone dies."

there has to be a better package to set up cars that makes everyone happy.
<<

Rochelle

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:04 pm

I'm sorry, I thought this was a free country where you have the right of free speech. Personally I like it when drivers speak their mind. Everyone defends certain drivers when they do it so why Jr can't say what he thinks is beyond me. If you don't like it, there's always the mute button. They all whine at one time or another, geez, get over it. A new day has dawned.
PreviousNext

Return to NASCAR & Racing