FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Weekly Picks & The 1 Point Club

<<

gkbacb

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:16 pm

Re: Weekly Picks & The 1 Point Club

in the part of PA where I live, you can drive from Ohio to New York in about an hour, depending on traffic on I-90, might take hour and fifteen minutes. to go north to south from border to border would take about 3 hours on I-79. Now if you go east to west on I-80 now your talkin about 8-10 hours.
<<

beaverpond

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:43 pm

I remember my Maine History when Massachusetts was under a major land grab and us under their rule and in 1820 they lost that and we became our own state.

There is still talk from time to time to divide our state almost in half. This battle has been before Congress a few times and the State Legislature as well. Failed every time. The southern part does not want to let go of the north and because of the size of the population and delegate count, they make a stronger case for themselves. Meaning, we have the population, the money, the industry, the year round tourism, and it makes it hard for the north to compete against that which is mainly farm land, timber land, waterways, very little industry, for the most part only a two season tourism industry, small population count, small state delegate count, but both regions have a lot of seasonal homes.

I remember working one voter district and it would take almost 2 hours to go from one corner to the other because most of it was all back roads...no state highway system or interstate. This is when I was campaign manager for a person running for a county seat. Obviously when you run for a county seat you represent every town in the county and therefore must campaign every town in the county...all 29 towns. I like my current district...only 4 towns stretched out over maybe 40 minutes.
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...
<<

beaverpond

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:40 am

Well I was talking to a friend of mine who really liked our cappuccino machine I bought and thought we needed a much better coffee brewer system and got us a three brewer system that brews it into these canisters like you see in the c-stores. He also got us a bunch of Green Mountain Coffee. I chose Decaf, Regular, and Dark Roast or High Octane for those late going mornings. He even had his guys install the whole system for nothing and gave us 6 cases of coffee for nothing. He also gave us a three year supply on water filters. They will last us longer than that because we are pretty much idle for three months out of the year.

Upon some negotiating with him, he is going to give us the same setup of a cappuccino machine and the same three brewer coffee system with all the coffee with all the same amounts of coffee for the 5 point club and he is going to get us the same flavors for the cappuccino machine. Now you might be asking what did you guarantee this guy in return. Well I have to get him 5 gallons of 100% pure Vermont Maple Syrup. My aunt owns a business that sells Vermont Maple Syrup to stores and restaurants in her area of the state. He also wants to spend the final week with us in the 5 point club.
Image Image

<<

Mrs B

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:42 am

I am certainly glad you are good at making deals and that all this equipment, coffee, and mix did not cost us anything this time.

WHY COULD YOU NOT DO THIS THE OTHER DAY !!!!!!!
There are two ways of doing things...the wrong way and my way.

What, don't want to do it my way, there is a fine for that.
<<

beaverpond

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:57 am

Well I have no excuses, so I am not going to make any up. I will just leave it alone. :mrgreen:

I am already thinking about breakfast for the crew in our crowded little club this morning. And something I had to give away made me remember what I was carrying in the motorhome. I picked up 10 gallons of 100% Pure Maple Syrup from Vermont that my Aunt had at her farm store.

So that got me to thinking. Waffles and pancakes. I have strained some blueberry juice to add to some of the syrup and then there is another one where I strained raspberry juice into it. I also have just the plain syrup. So you will have three choices of syrup...Grade A Medium Amber, then there is that with blueberry, or raspberry.

Time to tap that cappuccino machine for some hot chocolate this morning, but the egg nog sounds good. I used to work for a company that installed these and sold the mix flavors. I can't wait to put in some peppermint stick. They have some really outrageous flavors and some that are really really good.
Image Image

<<

beaverpond

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:26 am

The news report just showed up for the people who won that $8.2 million megabucks jackpot this summer.

They are taking the one lump sum which is $4.1 million as the rest goes towards taxes...how sweet. All they are going to do is buy two new vehicles and a new snowblower so the dog can get around the yard easier in the winter months. The rest they are going to give away to their four kids and 14 grandkids.

They will also set a small amount aside to cover the taxes for those new vehicles and if anybody knows anything about registering a vehicle in Maine that is expensive to do. Three years ago when my father registered his base model Chevy pickup, it cost more than $700 and this year it cost more than $400. They say that he will bottom out at around $200 at the six year mark.

They have been playing the lottery for 13 years at $4 per week and have spent $2480. I would say it paid off in the long run and that they finally saw a return in their investment....a huge return. They are both retired and have already been everywhere they want to go, their home is paid for and have no more unfulfilled dreams. So now they are just going to give almost all of it away and start playing the lottery all over again.
Image Image

<<

HTower

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:41 am

beaverpond wrote:The news report just showed up for the people who won that $8.2 million megabucks jackpot this summer.

The rest they are going to give away to their four kids and 14 grandkids.

Taxes on the kids and grandkids too 8-)
<<

beaverpond

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:19 pm

The first 20% is kept by the lottery for taking the one lump sum. The other 30% is paid by them in taxes in one lump sum.

As I understand it, trust funds are not subject to income tax unless you start to withdraw from them. They were talking of Trust Funds for all those and not to be touched for at least 5 years and then they could not take out more than 4% a year.
Image Image

<<

Rochelle

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:12 pm

Don't forget your picks, you have till midnight tonight... While the food here is great, I'd like to go home tomorrow night...

Thanks for all your hard work cooking this week beaver. It's much appreciated :mrgreen:
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

beaverpond

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:59 pm

Speaking of food...

Tonight is grilled Salmon and Swordfish Filets or Filet Mignon
Ceasar Salad
Onion Rings
& for Dessert

Apple Brownies and / or Blueberry Buckle
Image Image

<<

Annalee

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:27 pm

beaverpond wrote:Speaking of food...

Tonight is grilled Salmon and Swordfish Filets or Filet Mignon
Ceasar Salad
Onion Rings
& for Dessert

Apple Brownies and / or Blueberry Buckle

Beav......Quick culinary question: Is Blueberry Buckle similar to Apple Crisp, difference being you use blueberries instead of apples?
Image"Fight for Four".......................me
<<

beaverpond

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:37 pm

Blueberry Buckle is more like a flat coffee cake that is served warm at all times of the day.
Image Image

<<

jsw14

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:34 pm

OK gang, made my picks & I'm stickin with emmmmmmm :) :)
BS & Brilliance only come with Age & Experience!!
Image "Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012
Image #SmokeWillRise
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:16 pm

Made mine, too... or should I say "tweaked" my earlier picks from yesterday. ;) :lol:
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

Rochelle

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:58 pm

I changed my 3rd pick... I wish I knew what happened to Ryan's engine... Of course I still have time to change things, but that rarely turns out well... :roll:

Geez, I just went in and changed my bonus pick. This is the 1st time that my bonus pick is not in my regular picks. I don't know if I'll leave it though, I hate losing the bonus points...
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
PreviousNext

Return to NASCAR & Racing