FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Chatroom Problems

<<

DanicaFan

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:41 am

Chatroom Problems

I couldnt post in the board questions and problems forums so I am posting in here.

I know Im new so I hope I dont overstep my boundaries here...but here is my concern.

I was in the chatroom or at least trying to be during the Dover race Sunday. I kept getting logged out or kicked off. I was told it was because I was using Internet Explorer and this chatroom feature had issues with Explorer. They said I should try and use Firefox or Google Chrome. So, eventually I just gave up. I got tired of messing with being logged out and logging back in...lol

My issue is that Internet Explorer is the most popular and used browser on the internet. Therefore I think the chatroom needs a software "fix" to find the problem and correct this issue. If I made a feature, I would definitely make sure it worked with the most popular software, browser, OS, etc.
I dont think anyone should have to download a new browser just to use 1 feature. Is there a way to fix this or is this a lost cause ?
I appreciate the time and work of the administrators here.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:20 am

Re: Chatroom Problems

firefox is a good browser, it wont take up much space on your computer, i was turned onto it by a friend about 5 years ago, and when there was the old SHR site, it didnt matter what browser ya used, but they updated the site over a year ago, and many bugs have appeared, the webmasters are good at fixing the problems, maybe you can send them a private message and express your concerns, and hopefully they fix the problem......
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:34 am

I don't go to the chat room during race day, I can't see the TV at the same time unless I've snatched one of the kids lap tops to sit with me in my chair. But they take their lap tops with them over the weekends so I'm not in there anymore. But when I have been in there, I have Internet Explorer & don't have any troubles & didn't have any troubles in chat when I was in there. I dunno, guess it depends on the person's computer???
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

HTower

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:05 am

What version of IE are you using? What version of Flash do you have installed?

And just for the record, IE is not the most used browser anymore, and hasn't been since 2008.
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Most recent data
IE 16.2%
Firefox 32.8%
Chrome 43.7%
<<

DanicaFan

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:16 pm

Im using IE 8
<<

HTower

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:05 pm

I just spent 20 minutes playing around in the chatroom with no problems using IE8. They are using an older version of the chat, but supposedly that is only display issues. What version of Java do you have running on your machine? Make sure that is up to date?
<<

Rochelle

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:16 pm

I have both IE8 and Firefox on my laptop. I haven't been in the chatroom since they changed the site though. I belong to a game site and was having problems with IE8 so I downloaded Mozilla Firefox and don't have any problems with having both on my computer. You might want to try it cause you can always delete it. I don't care for Google Chrome, but that's just a personal thing.

If others are using IE8 and don't have problems, it could be your antivirus/security settings. Just a thought. I'm not very techno-savvy...
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

DanicaFan

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:24 pm

I will try and update my Java settings and see if that helps next time.
<<

HTower

Post Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:11 am

Your best course of action would be to try our recommendations now, rather than during the race. If they don't work, someone might come up with another alternative. If you wait until the race, I doubt people will be as helpful.
<<

DanicaFan

Post Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:10 am

I updated my java settings. I will see if that works.
<<

DanicaFan

Post Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:29 am

Well, updating my Java may have helped. I stayed logged on for 30 minutes with no interruptions.

@HTower... Thanks for the Java tip. That might have worked.
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:32 am

I wonder if the chatroom reacts the same with a bunch of people in it. I hope the java thing works for ya. Just seems when I was in the chatroom with just two or so of us I never got the boot. Racedays though were very annoying. No matter which you use (IE, Firefox, Google Chrome) wouldnt you use the same Java?
Hopefully it all works out for you on Sunday.
ImageImageImage

Return to The Lobby