FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Mike Conway opts to sit out finale.

<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:25 pm

Mike Conway opts to sit out finale.

Think someone said he races for AJ foyt.
Conway said he isnt comfortable racing on ovals, & wont race on them anymore. Just caught a small thing about it on the under part of ESPN TV screen.

You would think that would be the end of having a full time ride then. he must have seriously strong feelings on that to give that up you would think.
ImageImageImage
<<

Rochelle

Post Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:31 pm

Re: Mike Conway opts to sit out finale.

If that's his stance, take him out of the car and put someone in there that wants to race. Unless you sponsor yourself, who would put up with that. He's 20th out of 35 in the standings so I say goodbye loser. Yes he does drive for AJ.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:38 pm

Rochelle wrote:If that's his stance, take him out of the car and put someone in there that wants to race. Unless you sponsor yourself, who would put up with that. He's 20th out of 35 in the standings so I say goodbye loser. Yes he does drive for AJ.

well I wasnt really focusing on whether he deserved a ride or not. I was just amazed at how fearful drivers can be of Indy cars on ovals. especially after last year. You got to wonder how many other drivers dread, goes out there & races but dreads racing on ovals at those speeds. Things that make you go Hmmmmm...
I know in lesser series one of the worst things we worried about was racing around drivers that were afraid.
For him to give up the race (& I would assume his ride has to be in jeopardy now) that has to be a pretty deep fear. Race car drivers all want to get to the top series & never give up their rides.
I just thought of this as a pretty big Wow factor

Found an article on it.
http://espn.go.com/racing/indycar/story ... ce-fontana
ImageImageImage
<<

Annalee

Post Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:42 pm

For a race car driver to give up his seat, he really must have some issues. That is really sad... Was he in the race when Dan Wheldon died? That was horrific......better Mike not drive than have issues that could cause him problems and/or the other drivers during the race.
Image"Fight for Four".......................me

"Take this as your warning: I gave you guys 14 weeks without me. I'll be back and ready at Daytona to kick your #### again," Smoke
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:55 pm

Annalee wrote:For a race car driver to give up his seat, he really must have some issues. That is really sad... Was he in the race when Dan Wheldon died? That was horrific......better Mike not drive than have issues that could cause him problems and/or the other drivers during the race.

I know. I know race car drivers & it is next to impossible to pull them from their seats. So it is deep for this guy to opt out.
ImageImageImage
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:11 pm

Bad career move. He has been sliding down since his fluke win last year. You can't just run road courses or just ovals for that matter in Indycar and expect to have a competitive ride. Just not going to happen.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

Rochelle

Post Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:27 pm

I agree. Regardless of the reason, it shows a lack of commitment. To me, having those doubts means fear is ruling your life and you're in the wrong occupation. True drivers overcome that and prevail. Time to drive a desk somewhere.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

futura64

Post Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:19 am

He had a bad wreck at Indy a few years back. Broke his back and had to sit out the rest of the season. Guess he can't get that out of the back of his mind.

Here it is .......... www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZNL4G20GXU
BudmaninTx
<<

HTower

Post Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:43 am

Time to retire when you can't go all out anymore. At least he was honest about it, and gave up before causing a horrible wreck because of lost nerves.
<<

Annalee

Post Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:08 pm

Admitting you have a problem is the first step.........hiding it only makes the problem bigger.....draws more people into it. Then your problem becomes their's. That is not a good idea for a race car driver, driving at speeds over 200mph. What is the old adage, Truth shall set you free.
Image"Fight for Four".......................me

"Take this as your warning: I gave you guys 14 weeks without me. I'll be back and ready at Daytona to kick your #### again," Smoke

Return to NASCAR & Racing