FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Chase - Darian Grubb

<<

jenniferhershner

Post Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:49 pm

Chase - Darian Grubb

Last year we were not believing the calls that DG was making. Really, bad calls for the #14. When we found out that DG was leaving SHR we were happy and relieved at the same time. We thought it was the right call. Darian is happier with JGR than he ever was at SHR. It only benefited DG. Darian could never have won the championship without Tony Stewart. We are sick of the poor Darian Grubb. He's happy!
Now, make Tony happy. Steve is a great crew chief. He won more sprint cup races than DG ever did. Make Steve a winning crew chief.
Go for points this year than wins. Fix the mile and a half. We all know it's not the driver. We know you can do it! :D
<<

onerockindoc

Post Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: Chase - Darian Grubb

Not exactly understanding where you are coming from on this. Yes, there were times last year where I'm sure everyone was questioning the calls on the pit box. I believe Tony was not happy with the direction Darian's calls we're going but I don't lay the blame on Darian. It takes 2.

Once the chase was on I truly believe Tony carried that team on his back win to win to win. And I think Darian began to make excellent calls to put his team on top. This was a most remarkable thing to behold, a relationship that was certain to end but 2 selfless people coming together as one to make magic and create history.

We will never know how much the experience brought to Darian as a crew chief in his new endeavor. I do know this much....that man handled his FIRING with more grace and diplomacy than anyone I have ever known. I respect him. I wish him well. I wish him great success with Denny Hamlin.

Steve Addington is the right man to be Tony's crew chief. They can get it done.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

Annalee

Post Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:19 pm

That was perfectly said Doc.......I would also think there was a lot more to Darian leaving than we will ever know..........

By the way Doc I am wondering when you are going to post your Picts from Richmond.....no pressure, but would love to see them.... :)
"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:25 pm

be nice to see denny win, it will be a nice middle finger to the powers that fired darrian, man helps win a championship, and gets the boot......

if it was such a problem, why not try him out as ryan CC, but somebody's ego wont allow it.
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:34 pm

Personally....I don't think Darian "fired"....he was traded for Zippadelli....."firing" him was just another definition of "SMOKE and mirrors" :lol:
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

Annalee

Post Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:21 pm

midwesternsmoke wrote:Personally....I don't think Darian "fired"....he was traded for Zippadelli....."firing" him was just another definition of "SMOKE and mirrors" :lol:

You are so right!! :)

I #Support Smoke
<<

onerockindoc

Post Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:42 pm

Yeah...no pressure Annalee on the pictures...between 3 of us we took over 600 pictures. Boarding for the last leg of my flight home now! I'll yell when I have them up.

A trade for Zippy and Darian huh? I like it. Not sure I'm on board with it but it could have gone down that way I suppose. I'm thinking Coach Gibbs kinda got the front half of that horse seeing as how Ryan's season was not stellar in any way and a new competition director should have been swinging for the fence in his first season. Too much familiarity do you suppose?
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:14 pm

michaeljohn wrote:be nice to see denny win, it will be a nice middle finger to the powers that fired darrian, man helps win a championship, and gets the boot.......

Yeah it'd be a real middle finger to a guy who's already got three championships. You're just trying to get #### stirred up. Knock it off.

I wouldn't mind Darian winning, he's a great guy and I'm a big fan of Denny's, obviously Stewart is my first pick and if he can't get in the hunt I'll pull for Harvick and then Denny.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:21 pm

Smoke14TS wrote:
michaeljohn wrote:be nice to see denny win, it will be a nice middle finger to the powers that fired darrian, man helps win a championship, and gets the boot.......

Yeah it'd be a real middle finger to a guy who's already got three championships. You're just trying to get #### stirred up. Knock it off.

I wouldn't mind Darian winning, he's a great guy and I'm a big fan of Denny's, obviously Stewart is my first pick and if he can't get in the hunt I'll pull for Harvick and then Denny.

Pretty much what he said. Except I would add Jr in the guys I would want to win if Smoke can't win :D.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

ndunn

Post Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:02 pm

I have always felt that there was alot of backroom bargaining regarding Darian. The personality problem had to be fixed and after all Tony does own 50% of the team and he does hae a big say in what goes on. Tony did give Darian and the team alot of credit for the championship. Tony wanted Zippy and the barter between SHR and JGR gave each team what they wanted. It might have been a little personal on the Zippy part but the rest was just business. Sure shaped Denny up didn't it :?:
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:01 am

He still does give Darian a lot of credit. Read a story a little bit ago where he was quoted today at the Chase Contender event, again praising Darian.

The same people who rip on Tony for sticking to his guns after telling Darian BEFORE THE CHASE he was not going to be brought back would be calling him a heel if he kept Darian and backed off his assurance to Steve Addington that the job was his.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:55 am

Smoke14TS wrote:He still does give Darian a lot of credit. Read a story a little bit ago where he was quoted today at the Chase Contender event, again praising Darian.

The same people who rip on Tony for sticking to his guns after telling Darian BEFORE THE CHASE he was not going to be brought back would be calling him a heel if he kept Darian and backed off his assurance to Steve Addington that the job was his.

I dont mind talking bad of tony about many things.
However the one thing people cant accuse Tony of is not giving credit.
He gives ton of credit to Darian for the championship, he gave a ton of credit to Ryan for helping with set ups, so Tony would never miss a set up in the chase. Tony always gives credit to someone it seems. & he doesnt do it in a fake way either. he seems very genuine when he gives credit to people. not like most drivers that just throws out when talking of teammates or crews or whatever.
I always give props to Tony for sharing the credit with whoever.
ImageImageImage
<<

palino_s

Post Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:09 am

Darian is great crew chief, he has chemistry with Denny.. But he still made bad calls.. Denny lost 2 wins and one 2nd place, because Darian made bad call..
#10 (Danica), #14, #24, #32 (Terry), #39, #42
<<

MyLadyWhiteWolf

Post Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:01 am

Yesterday, I was in Chicago for the NASCAR Contenders Live event at the House of Blues. If you weren't there or didn't see it streamed live on line, watch it tonight on Speed at 7pm. Anyway, Chris Meyers asked Denny something to do with Darian and whether or not he was part of the reason Denny is in the chase this year and Denny thanked Tony for sending him over. Something was asked about Tony being worried that Darian took all of SHR's secrets to JGR and Tony stated no, because he got Zippi from JGR so they were even.

Anyway, you'll have to watch it tonight, it was quite funny.
Attachments
Tony Jimmie HOB in Chicago.jpg
Tony Jimmie HOB in Chicago.jpg (137.38 KiB) Viewed 1472 times
“I hate to say I'm growing up because it scares me to think I might be but maybe I'm starting to realize there are more things to life than driving a race car.” ~Tony Stewart
<<

Annalee

Post Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:42 am

MLWW.....I love the fact you got to go, also heard that it was pretty funny...especially Clint Boyer.......I have listened to him during a race on the scanner.......he is hilarious, he gets a bad case of ADD......I recorded it on the DVR can't wait to see it...thanks for the Picts.

I still think Denny for what ever reason seems to come apart, he caves to the pressure building at the end of the chase...he let JJ get into his head.....that is something only Denny can fix...Darien can help, but that has to come from Denny.
I found it interesting that JJ when asked about who he was most worried about in the chase, said it had to be a past championship...they are the only one's who have the knowledge and leadership to win..... they have done it before. He is right, you have the know how to put all the pieces together. If it was easy, there would be more than 2 winners in the past 9 years...

I #Support Smoke
Next

Return to Tony